How to beat the 338 Lapua?

My barrel is a 1.450 Diameter at 36 inches. It is built like our heavy gun benchrest guns except longer barrel. It shoots 5 shots in the 4 inch range. We also got 3000 feet a second with a 338 Ultra Imp. and Re33. We had no pressure and it was only a 30 inch barrel. That gun shot 5 shots in 5 inches at 1000. That was built like our 17 pound light guns. We shot this powder in a Savage 338 Lapua and hit just shy of 3000. The Reloader 33 is made in Sweden by Bofers. The same as Re 17 and Re 50. They are made to burn with a different pressure curve to give more velocity. The other Reloader powders are made in Australia under ADI. I really love this powder because everything we put it in shot good off the 1000 yard benches at Williamsport. It also gave more velocity with less pressure. Matt

Good to know being that I picked up 16lbs of RL33!

If there was a cartridge that would do that your buddy's would be shooting it probably. Other than the fact that is what they were shooting in the military
As stated the big 30's will get you close but not quite close enough to say compete with the 338, but alittle cheaper yes, more barrel life, not much if any

I Can not believe anyone has told you the truth! With as much experience as some people on this forum think they have not a one has come close to good advise. So here is the truth and it can be done for $10 and is cheap to reload.

Beat it with a Hammer!:D

Why not just get a 338LM and learn from them. They already have the equipment and know how. Join the team.

Why not: out load and out shoot a 338LM

Or

Same with a 338 Edge

Or

Same with a 308/26-Nosler

Basically you gonna have to build, load and shoot better dan dem.

It ain't the chambering, caliber, action, stock or trigger. It's you.

Good luck

Or

Same with a 338 Edge

Or

Good luck
At 2000 meters a lot depends on the caliber and Bullet. would stay with a 338. You need the big bullets like the 300 Berger. I would Improve the Lapua. Matt

Or

Same with a 338 Edge

Or

Good luck
When you go out to 2000 meters it takes a big bullet like the 300 grain Berger. Things get hard when it gets out that far. I would Improve the Lapua. The extra 100 feet or more you gain will help. Matt

At 2000 meters a lot depends on the caliber and Bullet. would stay with a 338. You need the big bullets like the 300 Berger. I would Improve the Lapua. Matt
Oops, That was supposed to read "with a 338LM".

Physics is physics so caliber and bullet design are important. Going back to the OP, recoil is included in the parameters.

Regardless of caliber, bullet or chambering, the OP is going to have to out tune, out load and out shoot his buddies. There is no magic bullet LOL

In all our hunting at long range out to 2000 yards. When the wind blew nothing beat the 338 With 300 grain Bergers. but the 50 Improved. That is for wind drift, seeing the wash or seeing impacts. Matt

Can't help it sorry will say it again .375 is the way to beat the 338.

The difference in field conditions/wind is incredible past 1500 & gets greater the further out you go.

Yes more expensive to run, but if you want to play you have to pay especially at those ranges.

Shoot good 6.5, .284, .30, .338 & .375s at ELR in the wind side by side & you will see the differences straight away.

... wondering if there's a rifle cartridge with less recoil, thats cheaper, or has better barrel life that I could use to compete with them...
300WM, 300WSM, 338 Norma, wildcats.

We probably lost the OP long ago.

Physics is physics. The best way to 'compete' against a 338LM is with better preparation, training and mental state.

Better preparation may include a matching or larger caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.