Norma .338 vs Lapua .338

LR3

Western precision promotes a 1" quarter mile rifle and Lapuas seem to get about .5 moa 1000yds. Is a Norma intrinsically more accurate because of the case shape apart from being a potentially lighter rifle? I m told Norma will load the Bergers apart from SMK. Any comparisons between Narmada and Lapua? Who makes the best .338 Lapua using factory rounds - friend wants buy one but not needing custom loads and cases. As of now I believe only Blackhill loads for Norma .338.

Western precision promotes a 1" quarter mile rifle and Lapuas seem to get about .5 moa 1000yds. Is a Norma intrinsically more accurate because of the case shape apart from being a potentially lighter rifle? I m told Norma will load the Bergers apart from SMK. Any comparisons between Narmada and Lapua? Who makes the best .338 Lapua using factory rounds - friend wants buy one but not needing custom loads and cases. As of now I believe only Blackhill loads for Norma .338.

I have never owned a 338 Norma mag but I have built quite a few 338 Lapua's and Lapua improved
and have never been disappointed in them.

I like Lapua's brass better and it is actually cheaper and available. A lot of guys use the Norma 338 Lapua brass to work up loads because it shows signs of pressure sooner and then switch to Lapua
brand brass for the long haul.

The Lapua and Lapua improved all have a reputation for being accurate and faster with the big bullets. so my choice would be the Lapua.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

LR3:

What type of shooting is your friend interested in doing?

I looked at Western Precision's website and found no rifle specs. Appears the site is fairly new.

.5 MOA at 1000 yards (roughly 5") is very good shooting - better than most benchrest match winners will shoot on anywhere near a regular basis. [See the Williamsport range results - The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest Club, Inc. The Birthplace of Long Range Shooting.] A 338 LM is almost never seen at a benchrest match since the various 6mm benchrest cartridges rule there. Bottom line, "your results may vary."

LRH had a great write up on the 338 NM at 338 Norma Review

Also see http://elr-resources.com/Sniper%20Pro%20.338%20NORMA.pdf

BTW, HSM/IQ Metals also offers 338 NM ammo - see HSM 338 Norma 300gr Sierra Match King

And as far as component costs, I just did a search on In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies and found no instance where Lapua brand (or any other brand) 338 LM brass is less expensive than Norma 338 NM brass. Otherwise costs are identical. Is Lapua preferred? Yes. Is Norma good? Yes. [BTW, Jamison/Captech also offer 338 NM brass for less than Norma.]

Norma has done basically no marketing of 338 NM and its, IMHO, a case of chicken and the egg. Product not available yields low demand. Low demand yields low supply.

Last point...the reduced length of the 338 NM makes it usable with longer projectiles in mags where the same projectiles force single-shot-only with 338 LM.

Check out Corbon for 338 Lapua loads, The Norma 338 or 300 case is the most accurate I have ever shot. What ever it is, its working! It surprises me every time I take it out, can't say enough about the accuracy of the 300 Norma.

For me it's hands down the 338 Norma. After loading for both the Norma is far less picky and shoot about everything I've put through them. The Lapua is a fine cartridge and if I wanted more the Lapua Improved is awesome, body taper removed and bullet seated out just like the Norma.

As stated the Norma loaded with a 300 SMK where is belongs above the driving band has an oal of 3.570 to 3.6" and fits standard mags with no mods.

Thanks JE, I always appreciate your insights and considered comments.
Appreciate you checking ELR on some of the pros and cons and also the posters inputs. My impression from reading reviews, including the one that ELR refers to that it's a very accurate and forgiving round with SMK although Norma has not as far as I can see come out with the promised Berger loaded cases (instead of SMK). My friend was interested in a 338 carry hunting round and also accompany me to long range shoots (I use my 375 Snipetac and 375 AM). I urged him to consider a Lapua but he s Swedish and wants to get a "Swedish" round including taking it to Sweden for moose hunting. Cost is not an issue but accuracy and carry is. I have been waiting for my 338 Allen Magnum for awile so I can't comment on it and my Hulk 338 is ready for testing but it is mostly a bench rest rifle. I realize it won't achieve the PA1000 accuracy of 6mm (my BR prints nearly a perfect 5 round hole at 100 yds) or 6.5mm but if it does well I ll use it for desert mule deer. Tom Sarver is building it for me and he s a perfectionist and achieved his world record with .30 Hulk. I expect this will be a superb rifle and I ll do a report on it. Asked him to build me a 3000 potential rifle and I know the AM is capable of that. I ll check on what the Western Precision wait time is.

I've had great luck with the 338LM's I've owned. The NM may be a little more efficient in terms of powder burn (shorter, fatter case) but the LM gives you a little more velocity. I'd worry more about who builds your rifle than what 338 you'll shoot - either one will be awesome.

I've had great luck with the 338LM's I've owned. The NM may be a little more efficient in terms of powder burn (shorter, fatter case) but the LM gives you a little more velocity. I'd worry more about who builds your rifle than what 338 you'll shoot - either one will be awesome.
Thats it in a nutshell The Gunsmith I wanted a Lapua and got talked into a Norma by my smith no regrets,now I have to by a turn of events a packer and a more tact type heavier that I love packed it the last 40 days

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.