338 Lapua vs 300 Norma

Well energy alone isn't whats important when hunting.
Tissue damage is whats important, and for that you need velocity behind a good bullet.
I wouldn't be using more than a 210 gr bullet in the 300 Norma.
I actually use 190s in mine and I'm happy with the results.
Put the book down and actually go try them at say 1200 yds.
You will find the 230s will be landing way down the hill compared to the lighter ones.
Velocity runs the show, always has and always will.
Same goes for the 338s, if your gonna have one, have one that reaches at least 3000 fps with the 300 gr.

OK...I'll give you velocity.

Berger 190vld and a 215Hybrid All environmental perameters are constant.
Berger 190 at 3400 FPS...1200 yards...1684 FPS
Berger 215 at 3100 FPS....1200 yards....1723 FPS

I used 1000 FASL and 75 degrees

As far as drops..the 190 drops 2 MOA less. Does the game animal care....NO. Should you....do you care weather you dial 22.8 vs 24.8 MOA?

How about the 230 Hybrid....at 3000FPS....1200 yards 1710 FPS and 1 more MOA. Again...just a number. Way down the hill? Not hardly!!

And, as far as doing the actual shooting...been there...done that.

Just stirring the pot with my old Infinity 6 program (because i am too lazy to use my Shooter app),

Tod

Velocity is important to get less drop and retained energy, but bullet construction and bullet placement, comes first and foremost. You can drive a 230 at 3000 but use the wrong bullet placed at the wrong spot and velocity alone (or energy by the same token) will mean nothing.

Velocity is important to get less drop and retained energy, but bullet construction and bullet placement, comes first and foremost. You can drive a 230 at 3000 but use the wrong bullet placed at the wrong spot and velocity alone (or energy by the same token) will mean nothing.

What does that have to do with this conversation. You are 100% correct, but that is for a different conversation.

Well I did suggest actual shooting as opposed to (checking the stats).
But I do realize that's not easy for some to do, especially if they don't actually have the gun. lol
Point is the heavy high BC number bullets aren't really all many think
they are in many cases when compared to lighter ones for that same cartridge, even at distances well beyond what most of us will ever shoot at an animal.
If your bag is shooting at milk jugs then disregard what ive said and stick with the heavy bullets, and of coarse disregard it regardless if that's your choice.
But don't forget velocity does improve the BC of a bullet, which is why some bullet makers are reluctant to label the number.
Also the numbers quoted above for 1200 yds are actually about the limit for that cartridge anyway for hunting, at least for me.
But id be interested in hearing about the experiences others have had
with it at longer distances.

I agree I would not be taking game past that number either. I have shot the 300 and both 338 long range but it was rock busting so I only know the drop and wind but not terminal. I also do agree with your statement on low BC faster lighter bullets. I have done some amazing shooting with monos and they are actually easier to hit with. I very much doubt I have the LR experience you and others do. Its hard here in the on east coast. So any real LR shooting I have to reserve for when I am in TX either the flat near Houston or in hill country west of San Anton. AT best thats 2x per year. Otherwise I am held to 1K at most monthly and freq shooting to 300-400y

20171021_163901.jpg

heading to the Range Ernie with 210 Berger hunting pill and RL33

Both are good cartridges, but neither would offer excellent performance at that distance your looking at. like Yobuck said Put the book down and actually go try them at say 1200 yds and let see what you find.

Leupold 6.5x20x50 LRT VX-3 plex

210's did well with 89 and 90gr RL33 1.600" 3 shot@300yds did not crony yet.
going to try Retumbo this weekend.

i have killed or witnessed an elk and 4 deer taken with .338 Lapua. the 4 deer were taken with .300 gn Matchkings at ranges from 430 yards to 673 yards and the elk taken at 910 yards with a 285gn ELD. all one shot kills. All i can say is the .338 Lapua KILLS. all were vital shots but one of the deer was a neck shot.

i have killed or witnessed an elk and 4 deer taken with .338 Lapua. the 4 deer were taken with .300 gn Matchkings at ranges from 430 yards to 673 yards and the elk taken at 910 yards with a 285gn ELD. all one shot kills. All i can say is the .338 Lapua KILLS. all were vital shots but one of the deer was a neck shot.
The Lapua is a HAMMER. Its not always about the caliber though. They will all get it done. My longest shot on a Mule deer was 937,DRT. with a 7 Mag. This last year was a Mule deer at 800 with a .300 RUM.. I have a Lapua shooting the 300 gr. Bergers but my longest kills with it have only been at 400 yrds. I shoot the Lapua out to a mile regularly at rocks and such and it works well for me. Hard to beat the BC of that 300 grain Berger!My 2 cents.

Ive shot bull elk with my 338 Lapua and the 250 berger,,,Its a hammer with that also...one at 877 last year 945 the year before. running 2950 in a sporter that weighs around 10 lbs with 5-25 Atac. .02 more

The Lapua is a HAMMER. Its not always about the caliber though. They will all get it done. My longest shot on a Mule deer was 937,DRT. with a 7 Mag. This last year was a Mule deer at 800 with a .300 RUM.. I have a Lapua shooting the 300 gr. Bergers but my longest kills with it have only been at 400 yrds. I shoot the Lapua out to a mile regularly at rocks and such and it works well for me. Hard to beat the BC of that 300 grain Berger!My 2 cents.
Have you ever compared a 250 to the 300 in your gun at that distance?
Don't forget, the BC# does vary with velocity.
At what point does your Lapua with 300s become a better cartridge than your RUM with say 210s?

Never compared...gun shoots the 300 berger just as accurately but my rifle bucks noticeably more and shooting a lot of rounds occasionally it begins to wear on you, so I just stick with the 250. I doubt ever needing to take a shot over 1k anyhow. my gun weighs in at 10 lbs with the ATAC.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts