338 Lapua ???

quigley257

Greetings. Myself and two other friends will all be building long range rifles in the next year. To be more exact, we will all be hitting an anniversary here at work(H-S Precision in Rapid City, SD) that qualifies us for a free rifle. H-S currently chambers rifles in 338 Lapua, but do not offer any of the Ackley or improved versions. As long as we purchase the reamer and gages, we will be allowed to build in the caliber of our choice and want to stay with the 338 Lapua case. We are looking for input on the various versions of the 338 Lapua that offer better performance and extended case life. We'd like to hear from shooters who are using these versions and what they like or dislike about them. Advantages and disadvantages alike to be considered. Optimum barrel lengths, specific reamers for shooting the long, high B.C. bullets, etc. will all be appreciated. These will all be built on the H-S Precision Pro 2000 series receiver utilizing the HTR rifle platform with adjustable stock. Thanks in advance for your input!! -Quigley

For a repeater hunting rifle I would look at the 338 Norma Mag improved, for a LR single feed rifle or ELR rifle I would look at at least a .338 LAI, or again the 33 xc would be excellent. Even with a 4.00" mag box, using the 300 Bergers your OAL won't work as a repeater. I would tight twist it and go xc in preparation for the new heavy .338 that Berger is going to eventially produce for an ELR rig.

Greetings. Myself and two other friends will all be building long range rifles in the next year. To be more exact, we will all be hitting an anniversary here at work(H-S Precision in Rapid City, SD) that qualifies us for a free rifle.

Whatever you decide on that's a very sweet work present!!

Enjoy it, Im sure its well earned ;)

You might research the .338 terminator as another option. developed by defensive edge rifles out of Idaho. Not saying it's the best for your application but it's a hammer and runs off a lapua size action.

You might research the .338 terminator as another option. developed by defensive edge rifles out of Idaho. Not saying it's the best for your application but it's a hammer and runs off a lapua size action.
Ya I forgot about that one, it would be fantastic. Essentially a 338 lapua improved to his specs, with the addition of a +p throat, which is said to give roughly 100-150 fps additional velocity. So 300 bergers at what, like 3100 fps?? That is crazy. Not sure about if he would rent out one of his reamers with his proprietary throat dimensions though....that may put a damper on that. More than likely you would have to have him do it. I suppose you could build a Lapua improved and have him ream the throat to +p if you wanted, I think he charges like $200.

I would like an extra 150 fps in my Edge .😀
I'm not exactly sure why ..everything I hit with the 300 berger doesn't complain one bit.
Something about a 300 berger and 3000 fps sounds amazing though !

Rum Man

We are looking for input on the various versions of the 338 Lapua that offer better performance and extended case life.

One of the various 'improved' versions is the .338 Rogue:

338-lapua-rogue-37-degree-reamer-print-png.91017

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-338-rogue.168245/

338-rogue-002-jpg.58630