338 Lapua AI or Something off the Rum case

I'm for the 338 Edge.

Mine is a 29" Benchmark barrel, Wby Mark V action. Same stock as Wby uses for the TRR. Custom bottom metal and Wyatts box.

I'm shooting 285 A-Max at the moment. I hold it down to ~2900fps. I have a few (quite a few) other bullets. When the A-Max are gone I'll shoot them while I wait for ELD-M 285s to arrive.

I hunt with my gun so it's a repeater, I'm at 3.830 COAL which puts me just off the lands, not sure what the measurement would be to the lands.

Tom

I can seat bullets deeper and run my setup as a repeater, even with the 40 degree shoulder its feeds well out of the mag, just haven't seen the need to. Although if I build another edge it will probably be a repeater. Been thinking hard about a 338 Norma imp next, buts it's a hard decision now that Bertram makes edge brass.

I can seat bullets deeper and run my setup as a repeater, even with the 40 degree shoulder its feeds well out of the mag, just haven't seen the need to. Although if I build another edge it will probably be a repeater. Been thinking hard about a 338 Norma imp next, buts it's a hard decision now that Bertram makes edge brass.

I'm curious, why would you consider the 338 Norma instead of the edge?

Tom

I think on a standard size action your best bet is the Lapua improved of some sort. I am not so sure that it is more expensive as the brass lasts longer. Just a bit hotter than the Ultramag offerings. If you want to stay with your original action go with RUM.

Steve

This is great advice. The improved Lapua case will hold the same amount of powder as an improved RUM. I believe a typical Lapua improved holds about 121 grains of water and my 375 BME (a dramatically improved RUM) holds a touch over 121 grains. Going with the shorter but fatter Lapua will allow you to keep more bullet out of the case. It's the best option if you want the gun to be a repeater.

More powder doesn't necessarily mean more pressure/speed. As stated earlier I'm shooting a standard edge as a repeater and getting exceptional speed, OAL with 300grn bergers is 3.830. A typical single round edge at say around 4.000 OAL isn't going any faster.

Tom

I'm curious, why would you consider the 338 Norma instead of the edge?

Tom

My Edge is on a rem 700 so couldn't run the lapua case at its full potential. The short Norma case allows you to seat bullets way out and still have room in the Mag. This case also does well in shorter barrels since it has slightly less case capacity. A shorter barrel is always nice on a hunting rifle. I think 2800 fps with a 300gr would be achievable on 24 in bbl with this cartridge. And 2800 fps still can be effective for busting rocks past 2000yards in good conditions. It's just another option for the OP since he has a 700 receiver and he will be hunting with this rifle. Although he seems to be looking for a little more HP.

My Edge is on a rem 700 so couldn't run the lapua case at its full potential. The short Norma case allows you to seat bullets way out and still have room in the Mag. This case also does well in shorter barrels since it has slightly less case capacity. A shorter barrel is always nice on a hunting rifle. I think 2800 fps with a 300gr would be achievable on 24 in bbl with this cartridge. And 2800 fps still can be effective for busting rocks past 2000yards in good conditions. It's just another option for the OP since he has a 700 receiver and he will be hunting with this rifle. Although he seems to be looking for a little more HP.

Ah, that makes good sense, I haven't looked into the 300 Norma, sounds like a good option.

Tom

I'm still not set on either one. I was looking at it from a component standpoint and a little more performance than the standard case. With Nosler producing the RUM brass now and in a little (I mean LITTLE) more quantity then I could do something off the RUM but from pure availability standpoint I was really looking at the 338 Lapua improved but the 338 Texas sounds really nice:rolleyes:. I haven't made any decision just saving up some money for later on. Between the 4 store I usually hit I can find Lapua brass and 300 grn Berger's or Sierra bullets about 95% of the time. The Rum brass is about 50% of the time. There are 2 other store that I go to but have to travel about 100miles to one. I was also thinking the barrel life on these guns is probably a littler lower then normal, so probably 300 pieces of brass firing 5 time will be the life of the barrel (just a guess). I could probably getbrass in prep for which ever I go with. I think the Lapua brass will last a little longer. But based on what I have seen on my Remington brass which I was probably running it a little hard also, on the 7th firing produced a case crack. Better reloading practices could help on how much I size the brass and it would probably last a little longer. Now after 5 firing I trash for my 300 RUM. I am
just working with what I currently have for reloading dies. Next set of dies that I buy will be something like the Redding Competition Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set and the 6 set of shell holders that are at different sizes to bump the case shoulder back.

Some of the velocities and case life comments are at odds with what I'm familiar with.
But that dosent alter the fact that the Edge is a good choice for a long range cartridge.

Some of the velocities and case life comments are at odds with what I'm familiar with.
But that dosent alter the fact that the Edge is a good choice for a long range cartridge.
Right on.

0-1500 and 1500+ are two different animals. Seeing bullet impact which provides the feedback needed to hit at these ranges is vital. An Edge or Lapua is great out to 1500 for this. After that a bigger bullet will really help.
My longest kill with an Edge was 2430 yds. Nah I'm not that good. A coyote was out mousing in vacuum conditions. I calced the shot using Google earth and let fly. He heard the bullet hit and ran over to the impact. Gave me a very very good shot call, 3 more and I got lucky. He would run and pounce where the bullet strike was.
Most of your targets won't help you call the shot, if you could see a 338 hit it would be adequate but you are also going transonic so it's a double whammy.

Good thread. I've been trying to decide between a lupua ai or an edge my own self. I still can't figure it out lol. To many options on the AI for me to sort through. I thought about going with the Po Ackley but they don't have the reamer specs on the website.

How do u guys figure out reamer specs? Like your coal. That's one of the problems I'm having right now cause this is gonna be my first custom and I want it right. Being at sea level I kind of got to get all the hp out of it.

Good thread. I've been trying to decide between a lupua ai or an edge my own self. I still can't figure it out lol. To many options on the AI for me to sort through. I thought about going with the Po Ackley but they don't have the reamer specs on the website.

How do u guys figure out reamer specs? Like your coal. That's one of the problems I'm having right now cause this is gonna be my first custom and I want it right. Being at sea level I kind of got to get all the hp out of it.
With it being a custom action I would go AI. Stock action go Edge. Let your smith use the reamer he likes and has built guns that perform on. If your smith hasn't built one then find one who has. If I want a 6PPC I go see a BR smith. A 338 I want a LR big caliber guy. Yeah one or the other can build either but jack of all trades......

Thanks for the advice toddc. He has built himself a straight up lupua on a stiller tac action. Think it has a 30 inch Bart barrel McMillan a5 adjustable stock jewel trigger. Looks like a nice build claims it shoots great with 300 Berger. We never really talk about reamer specs or a big 338 build. I just got bit by the bug and I want a 338 to take my lr shooting to the next level.

I can get rem 700 action pretty cheap and I know that will keep me to the edge. Sounds like brass has come around for it. But I know Lapua brass is outstanding. I've never had improved anything before. I just want to get all the parts in order and just bring it down and hope it will help with lead time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.