338 edge or lapua ?

Should be a sweet gun. One thing I would not personally do on a gun that I plan to carry much is put a big box magazine on it. When you sling carry that beast the magazine will be right into your kidney. There are backpack style slings that place your gun flat against your back, and that's plenty comfortable, but limits your ability to carry other stuff with you. Just something to consider. Everything else sounds solid, be sure and post pics when you get it!

I packed my 5 rnd 12# gun about 45 days this year.It was alright but I front carry and most the hikes 1/2 day did have one nine mile full day.

So now im thinking about what scope to use ???? I have a huskemaw that works really well so do I use another huskemaw ? or should I use a nightforce ? it will be for hunting but I will do some long range target shooting. please give me some opinions I don't know anything about nightforce so please tell me about reticles and such.
thanks.
casey

i met with the builder last night ( H&H Precision ) and decided on a 338 lapua with a defiance action a benchmark 28'' barrel and an XLR element chassis rifle basix trigger and a accuracy international mag. and i cant remember which muzzle brake but as long as its effective i dont care.
i cant wait. it should be done in about 3 months.

I wasn't aware the element was available inlet for the defiance lapua action?
Mine is in a single shot and sports a xlr evolution really like the set up but would have liked the element better. 20 pounds as is in the pic

Attachments

• 20141229_144314.jpg
    20141229_144314.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 17
I don't trust my Dewalt nail guns but if someone from Dewalt wants to pay to feed this thing I'd be game..lol

I just posted the pic as it is very close to the op stated specs..and I wasn't aware you could get a element stock for this action but maybe they started in letting for them.

Jordan@406

I wasn't aware the element was available inlet for the defiance lapua action?
Mine is in a single shot and sports a xlr evolution really like the set up but would have liked the element better. 20 pounds as is in the pic

it is actually a alpha action made by defiance for h&h precision but it does fit the element chassis,

So now im thinking about what scope to use ???? I have a huskemaw that works really well so do I use another huskemaw ? or should I use a nightforce ? it will be for hunting but I will do some long range target shooting. please give me some opinions I don't know anything about nightforce so please tell me about reticles and such.
thanks.
casey

I decided on the nightforce ATACR 5.5-25x56 with moar -t reticle to top this rig.
hope it works good.gun)gun)gun)

Buy a Eberlestock backpack, makes carrying heavy rifles easy....have used on for several years, buddy also uses one for his 416 Barrett....carries nice....

I have a question: Why do quite a few people say that Lapua 338 and cases of similar rim diameter not be built on Rem 700's and yet I have never seen the same arguments made over building them on Defiance actions? As I understand it the arguments against building on the 700's is due to the tenon diameter being on the small side, I have not seen anyone say it is due to the material used or quality of workmanship. The Defiance Rebel has the same tenon diameter yes it is extended but I do not think that makes it safer than the 700.

All that being said I built up two 338 Lapuas on Defiance Rebel with the Lapua option and they shot great without a problem. This is not an attack on Defiance quality as I think Glen and his crew build a great action and stand behind them also it is just a question that has been on my mind for a while.

wade

I have a question: Why do quite a few people say that Lapua 338 and cases of similar rim diameter not be built on Rem 700's and yet I have never seen the same arguments made over building them on Defiance actions? As I understand it the arguments against building on the 700's is due to the tenon diameter being on the small side, I have not seen anyone say it is due to the material used or quality of workmanship. The Defiance Rebel has the same tenon diameter yes it is extended but I do not think that makes it safer than the 700.

All that being said I built up two 338 Lapuas on Defiance Rebel with the Lapua option and they shot great without a problem. This is not an attack on Defiance quality as I think Glen and his crew build a great action and stand behind them also it is just a question that has been on my mind for a while.

wade

i simply dont know enough about either action to answer this question but im sure there are plenty guys here that can ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.