338 edge or lapua ?

Most custom actions in 338 lapua will have a .75 bolt verses the .697-.700 of the remmy 700 up to and including the ultramags. From what Ive been told its not the tennon its the added shear strength of the bigger bolt/lugs that makes the action better suited to the lapua/norma bolt face. The other place the defiance rocks is in extraction. The remmy extractor is weak at best and will fail, where as the M16 of the Defiance is a huge upgrade but can still fail just less likely. To do a 338 lapua on a remmy you have to run a PTG bolt as well as there's not enough rim to open and install a sako extractor on the stock bolt. So heres my answer 375 RUM pushing a 350 SMK at 2800fps! :D
Chris
Benchmark

Deadlift is right.The Defiance is a larger action,larger bolt, and totally different dynamics.Such as if you have a sticky bolt you are really pushing it,bolt cams over slight different,this would be discussion with Glenn.It is a clone for stock and fitting purpose, but much different after that.They are solid one pcs. bolt also. Because of this I have personally had 2 smiths not recoomend Rem for the lapua based , even though its been done alot,many smiths wont.

Yes, more beefy bolt like .750" is safe for Lapua family. I'm ordering Defiance Tactical with the .750" bolt. I'll feel more comfortable with the beefy action and the bolt.

Been talked about already but if you do some studying, the 338 norma mag is much more powder effieicnt and you can push the bullets faster. the 338Lapua is really sexy right now, but I think my choice would be the Norma.

Been talked about already but if you do some studying, the 338 norma mag is much more powder effieicnt and you can push the bullets faster. the 338Lapua is really sexy right now, but I think my choice would be the Norma.
The Lapua wins by case capacity 114 vrs 107.Some of the older lapua designed for 250 gr. bullet so you can and coupled with mag size loose some capacity to load to potential.But if built right custom it will surpass Norma.Also the longer barrel version in LA wins.The norma is a effecient in the shorter barrel I believe,and it can be pushed hard as some do.

IIWM: and I did. The order of preference would be.
338 Edge, 338/300RUM standard magnum bolt face. No special action.
338 Lapua Magnum, super magnum bolt face. Special action (or a Weatherbygun))
338 Norma, super magnum bolt face. Special action (or a Weatherby)
338/26-Nosler, standard magnum bolt face. :rolleyes: just kidding, I see this staying in the 700 yard range. Had to throw it in because it's "my baby":D.

If you go Edge or Lapua, there is also the shoulder angle and body taper to consider.

If I were to go Lapua, I would go with a 35degree or 40degree "improved". I prefer 35 or 40 but that's just me.

I am considering updating my RUMs and Edge to a 35degree shoulder over the spec 30 degree.

We get alot of lapua questions from clients we always say the same thing..if you want a repeater go 338 norma if you want a single shot go 338 lapua.

I love my Lapuas but when I go hunting the 300 norma is my pick if I'm covering ground it just continues to surprise me.

Yep I agree with 406precision. Personally my LR hiking rig is my 7mm Dakota and the Matrix 190's running at 3066fps. No preasure and a baby to shoot!
Chris
Benchmark

We get alot of lapua questions from clients we always say the same thing..if you want a repeater go 338 norma if you want a single shot go 338 lapua.

I love my Lapuas but when I go hunting the 300 norma is my pick if I'm covering ground it just continues to surprise me.
I would like one of those also, one of my Normas is built to pack:D

I understand the bolt diameter on the defiance is larger and this helps handle the thrust caused by the larger case head and will definitely help with lug set back. The safety issue raised by many, including Dan Lilja, is the tenon diameter of the 700 and the defiance rebel has the same tenon diameter and thread diameter and pitch so they have the same structural capabilities. If there is a problem putting a 338 Lapua on a 700 due to the tenon diameter the same is true for the Rebel.

If I were to build another 338 Lapua or Norma I would use a Stiller Tac338, then I get an action sized for the cartridge. Granted Glen does have the finest primary extraction of any action but I would still have the mini-16 extractor for positive extraction. Yes this choice makes stock fitting a more of a chore since most will be inletted for the 700, but the rebel needs some alteration on the inletting due to the extended tenon.

Maye the tenon is not a problem, but given the choice I would choose a larger tenon as it is available in a quality action.

Just my 2 cents and I will sign off,
wade

I believe most gunsmiths believe the bolt diam. is the problem. When opening up to a 338 Lapua or 378 Weatherby sized case the bolt gets too thin and could be a problem if you ruptured a case. Even though it has the same size tenon the Defiant would be stronger because of the bigger diameter of the action supporting the tenon. It is also recommended to have bigger lugs to handle bolt thrust. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.