How to beat the 338 Lapua?

We may be missing the point. The OP might just want to hang with them, not be embarrassed and hit the 2000 meters target a reasonable number of times for rounds fired.

I have a few navy buddies with 338 Lapua`s both of my buddies can shoot 1 MOA @ around 2000 meters and was wondering if there's a rifle cartridge with less recoil, thats cheaper, or has better barrel life that I could use to compete with them? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or answers.

I did much research before purchasing my 338 Lupua. I feel the cartridge can be bested but at a cost of barrel life or purchasing a much more expensive to operate cartridge. I ran the 30-378 Weatherby for years and can attest to its' capabilities and its' tendency to burn barrels. The factory brass on that cartridge is weak and tends to blow primer pockets and it's expensive at nearly $80+ for 20 pieces. I feel the 338 Lupua is an excellent compromise and one you wouldn't regret so why not just join the crowd and learn from your buddies whom obviously have figured it out.

What velocity/energy fo you feel is necessary for elk? Plus, it's not the energy that HIT'S the animal, it's the energy that is TRANSFERRED to the animal that counts. If a FMJ hit's an elk, and punches a pencil hole through, not much energy is transferred, and not a lot of hydrostatic shot. But if an acccubond hits an elk at the same velocity and stops on the off side, alot more energy is transferred. . .

Personally, I feel a 1 mile shot on an elk is unethical/immoral, and shows how lazy of a hunter you are. If you cannot get closer than 1 mile of a game animal, you're a self proclaimed LR expert, a range monkey, and shouldn't be allowed to hunt or breed.

I understand long range hunting and have taken elk out to 818 yards. I take long shots when nothing else is an option. I get as close as possible. But if you can't get closer than 1,760 yards, hell, even 1,000 yards, you are either hunting smarter elk than I, are lazy or have an ego complex.

I think one thing you did wrong here in a open discussion is state what is ethical and not ethical. Your 818 yard shot is highly unethical to archery hunters and in a long range forum needs your personal ethics left on the computer desk.

I had a .300 Lapua with a 34" barrel that was a lazerbeam out to just over 1mile. I still believe it can not hang with a .338 Lapua with a 300 Berger. I would stick with the .338 Lapua and master it, or go to the .375.

I agree with what 406precision said. Looking at trajectory only, they are neck and neck. Energy, of course the 338 wins. However, I'll restate what Dave Tooley wrote me: "It's awfully hard to beat a big 30 cal at any distance." From what I've read and experienced most everyone will give the accuracy nod to the 300NM over the 338LM. With longer barrels (28-31") many shooters are getting 3000-3050fps or more from the 230gr berger.
But I can push My Lapua IMP tom 3100 with a 300 grain. The last couple of years Dave Tooley has been working with the Army and 338's. Matt.

Personally, I feel a 1 mile shot on an elk is unethical/immoral, and shows how lazy of a hunter you are. If you cannot get closer than 1 mile of a game animal, you're a self proclaimed LR expert, a range monkey, and shouldn't be allowed to hunt or breed...

This sure puts a bug in my bonnet...

There are so many factors for taking a long range shot. Most having nothing to do with "cannot get closer". My buddy usually spots and stalks to < 200 then backs off for the long shot. :D

Logic like that used by BigBoy25 is the same as used by "anti's" and controlists.

I'm going to be silly rather than confrontational: BigBoy25, you could have an accident with your truck/car so I think it's unethical/immoral for you to drive. LOL.

hard to beat those .338 holes when your talking about hunting and killing.. wonder how much energy a 300 grainer would have at those distances...

If I'm going to try and beat the 338 lapua I'm bringing out a cheytac

Attachments

• 20141005_172820.jpg
    20141005_172820.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 18
406, that is a beautiful rife and I am anxious to see how you like it way out there. Very nice!

But I have to give you a little ribbing here. There should be a rule against taking a pic of a rifle like that on a bench with a mechanical rest. That baby belongs in the dirt on a pod and rear bag.:D

Jeff

Jeff

Tell me about it that is a customers rifle and the **** thing doesn't have any sling studs or bipod attachments. .lol

Oh and that front rest is not mechanical what do you think I want my man card pulled. No offense to you bench rest dudes but elr guns should be shot in the dirt off rear bags and bipods

My cheytac will be here shorly and a bipod will go on it before it goes to the field. ..

I can tell you this don't shoot your steel closer than 500 yards with one ask me how I know...

Jeff I would live to get my hands on that lrkm of yours one of these days we need to get together and shoot

Jordan@406

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.