338 Lapua barrel

Could you please explain the LRMK bull pup from DE?
I'm new on this forum and have never heard of it, bullpups have my interest since I'm pretty much shooting solely with suppressors now.
Welcome to the forum. I got banned from a local forum here in my state for using your forum name in a response to a thread. Pretty sad it comes to that. They called it politically trolling. Hmmm. Imagine that. Redefining seems to be today's theme in our country. Anyway so I don't get banned here, I'll move back to the OPs original post. Gotta love the 338 LM improved. I know I love mine.

I may have to call McMillan and tell them their 50BMG for elr is not the way to go and ask they remove it from consideration as an ELR choice.
I think Surgeon gave correct feedback on this. Do some research and you'll learn why .50 cal bullets are not considered optimal for ELR accuracy by many. To get the desired .5+ G7 BC, you're talking 1000-1100 grain bullets. What do you suppose the recoil feels like with something like that? Bearing surfaces are excessively long, and you need a very slow burning powder and a barrel a mile long.
A .50 cal would be my last choice for ELR.

You're asking about a reamer- so if you're not just going CIP or AI you should do it like every other custom.
Pick the bullet.
Pick your brass.
Load a dummy round to the OAL desired.
Send to Manson or JGS and have the reamer ground according to your desired freebore and neck clearances.

Easy, huh?

He's looking for recommendations on barrel, reamer and brake manufacturers not whether he should go shorter or longer than he seems to be wanting. Unfortunately many times when you come to these forums, you get told what you need and don't need by guys that don't even know you. Bartlein and if you can find a Broughton barrel, they are two good options for the 338 LM barrel as well as other good makers. For your range an 9.3 twist is great for the long heavy 300+ bullets. Muzzle brakes and more makes good reasonable priced brakes in 4-5 port. For a reamer JGS has prints of the 338 LM improved reamers. Just need to decide on freebore, neck size basically. If you have a 26" barrel already, I'd chamber it up and use it. See what it does for your desired range needs and go from there.
Thanks, good stuff here. I have a Broughton barrel on my 7 stw and I really like it. I have a Broughton barrel on my 6.5 as well. So, Broughton may have a good 338 barrel, Tim North is still there I'd guess? Maybe he has some insight on 338 as well. These barrel guys get lots of feedback from good shooters and Smiths. Tim will be called.

Welcome to the forum. I got banned from a local forum here in my state for using your forum name in a response to a thread. Pretty sad it comes to that. They called it politically trolling. Hmmm. Imagine that. Redefining seems to be today's theme in our country. Anyway so I don't get banned here, I'll move back to the OPs original post. Gotta love the 338 LM improved. I know I love mine.
Good post, my sentiments as well! lol Nuf said, mums the word.

I think Surgeon gave correct feedback on this. Do some research and you'll learn why .50 cal bullets are not considered optimal for ELR accuracy by many. To get the desired .5+ G7 BC, you're talking 1000-1100 grain bullets. What do you suppose the recoil feels like with something like that? Bearing surfaces are excessively long, and you need a very slow burning powder and a barrel a mile long.
A .50 cal would be my last choice for ELR.

You're asking about a reamer- so if you're not just going CIP or AI you should do it like every other custom.
Pick the bullet.
Pick your brass.
Load a dummy round to the OAL desired.
Send to Manson or JGS and have the reamer ground according to your desired freebore and neck clearances.

Easy, huh?
Insightful, I'm learning. Thank you.

Thanks, good stuff here. I have a Broughton barrel on my 7 stw and I really like it. I have a Broughton barrel on my 6.5 as well. So, Broughton may have a good 338 barrel, Tim North is still there I'd guess? Maybe he has some insight on 338 as well. These barrel guys get lots of feedback from good shooters and Smiths. Tim will be called.
Just read Broughton went out of business.

Recent Posts