The Most DISSAPOINTING Bullet there ever was...

Probably works great in 7mm-08 and 308's with short barrels. The eld-m works amazing in my 308 with a 20 tube. That 168 shoots under half an inch and is an excellent Mule, Whitetail and Antelope killer. They are probably really close to the same bullet.

Like your previous experience, The SST can be very frangible especially at close range and o rhigh speed. At distance or low speed they may work just fine.. Would be a great ear hole bullet and/or antelope bullet
If my memory serves me correct (50-50) the intentions of the SST in the beginning was to be a varmit bullet. Very frangible correct. I listened to Hornady podcast and they were sharing stories of prairie dog hunting with the SST. They discussed the history a little.

If my memory serves me correct (50-50) the intentions of the SST in the beginning was to be a varmit bullet. Very frangible correct. I listened to Hornady podcast and they were sharing stories of prairie dog hunting with the SST. They discussed the history a little.
In my experience, the SSTs don't hold together very well. They expand ok, but tend to fragment. Never had a deer get up after being hit by one mind, so in that regard they do work.

E1B31C44-F018-4B48-AB17-933863EDFB4B.png

This is the offside view of a big bodied Kansas buck I shot at a few steps past 500 yards about 17 years ago. Back then I was running Hornady Heavy Mag 139 SST factory ammo thru an accurized Remington model 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag. With a LR Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope & the Varmint Hunter reticle my 200 yard zero allowed for quick and exact 100 yard increment holdovers to 500 yards and beyond. I still have that black rifle tucked away, unchanged except for a rattle can camo paint job. Anyway, when I finally got the rutting buck to stop by hollering at him across the canyon, I touched the shot off and he crumbled in his tracks. After making a few similar one shot kills from 375 to 580 yards with this setup, I began to compare the ballistics of the 7.08 Rem vs the 7 RemMag, utilizing the same 7 mm SST bullet in Hornadys faster loadings and discovered why the 7.08 may have become so popular, especially among western big game hunters. According to Hornady's charts the cute little 7.08 Superformance load delivers the same terminal performance at 350 yards as it's big brother does at 500, for example. The critter don't know if it got shot by a mild short action rifle cartridge or a hard hitting magnum, because the bullet acts the same way at the same speed. Now, in addition to a variety of other 7mm offerings, I also own and use several rifles chambered in the sweet little 7.08 Remington.

I do love the result of Hydrostatic Shock!

First centerfire was a custom FN Mauser 25-06 built in 1966. On my third now. Probably killed around 50 deer and 30 antelope, too many coyotes and prairie dogs to remember. Used mainly Sierra 100 gr boattails, also Speer and Hornady 100 grainers. Only 2 deer and 1 antelope were DRT. They went less than 50 yards. Do not reload any more, use Federal 100 gr. Barnes tipped. Superb accuracy and one shot kills. Can not say that I had any failures with what I used.

Please smash and trash some 110 (257 cal), 200 (308 cal) and 225 (338 cal) grain Accubonds. Oh and 160 grain in 284 cal too. Those things are all awful. Awful hard to find and awfully lethal to anything with four legs. I could use a few as my coffers are under 500.

Most times I've seen a bullet fail it's really the guy shooting failing to use the right bullet for the job. A soft, squishy bullet will grenade when driven hard. I hard bullet like the dg-x really isn't designed for anything other than a mild mushroom.

I had a failure from my 7-08 shooting 120 Sierra's once; I was an idiot and hit the shoulder with the pill. It should have been in the slats. I shot that deer with a 44 to put it down, then tossed a left hook into the mix because it was still suffering.

Everyone can send me their failed Hornady sst's, Grand slams, and Core-locks that they no longer want. I've had decent accuracy luck and good on game luck with most bullets I've used.