The Good The Bad and The Ugly About Yor 6.5 Sherman Short

Since this is Dave's thread, and it is a good question, I will give the best answer I can, realizing that there are a lot of variables, and even unknowns, at this point. First of all, any cartridge has a fairly broad range of life depending on several things. Worse case: Are you running max pressure, are you running long shot strings and heating the barrel, what are your cleaning practices, what quality is the brass?
We have SOME data on the cartridge and some data on other cartridges using ADG brass.
On the brass, I have heard a lot of positive from those who have used ADG.
Most of what I've heard is 10 to over 20 firings. We will be testing some soon in several bore sizes by several clients. I expect everyone to do honest assessments.
For the sst shooting PRS, I expect worse case could be as low as 1200 or 1300 to well over 2000. If you are running loads with a 147 class over 3000' in long strings, you will likely be around 1500 rounds. If you are using a load like our 4895 load at 3000+ with a 130, 3000 rounds would not surprise me. A high pressure hunting load, I would guess 2000 or so rounds.
So far with the ss, which has been around longer, we are at 1700-1800 with high pressure loads not running PRS like shot strings. I expect some may go more or less. This is the best I can tell you at the present time.
For cartridges that are close to 264 WM velocities, I feel this is pretty darn good with sub 3" coal.
These estimates are made using target accuracy. Hunting accuracy could be higher.

Thanks for the load specifics ca48,you've got some excellent results for sure by the looks of your target pics! And I would definitely like to say how helpful Rich has been since day one of my requests to get my build going. From reamer,or getting dies,as well as trying to help me confirm some measurements for helping iron out some brass forming issues. I realize the whidden dies are only one option for loading. I'm also having Redding make a brass forming /trim die for the 6.5sst as well as sizing/seating...it may take a few months but well worth it to me. Thanks

So it looks like 100 rounds if taken care of will get quite a ways along with good barrel life. See how I brought that around full circle for post relevancy dealing with positives and negatives?:D

Thanks for the load specifics ca48,you've got some excellent results for sure by the looks of your target pics! And I would definitely like to say how helpful Rich has been since day one of my requests to get my build going. From reamer,or getting dies,as well as trying to help me confirm some measurements for helping iron out some brass forming issues. I realize the whidden dies are only one option for loading. I'm also having Redding make a brass forming /trim die for the 6.5sst as well as sizing/seating...it may take a few months but well worth it to me. Thanks

H59 can you give us an idea of cost and expected turn-a-round time for the Redding dies?

Redding needs a chamber reamer drawing or 5 fired cases to make a(one off) die as they call it. A custom 2 die set is $204.65,but getting into type S or custom Fl or Nk dies are more. Just the custom FL or NK die is $133.25,type S $180.90 or a single brass form die is $93.25....you can bite the bullet& get a deluxe set for $323.95 which is pretty close to what the whidden die cost

Oh and turn around time is 3 to 4 months if all goes well...they did say that depending on cartridge dimensions prices could change depending on machining services,but not astronomical price differences. Redding was much more easy to set things up with than I had imagined a company of there size being. Of course that said I don't actually have the end product yet,so time will tell.

Redding needs a chamber reamer drawing or 5 fired cases to make a(one off) die as they call it. A custom 2 die set is $204.65,but getting into type S or custom Fl or Nk dies are more. Just the custom FL or NK die is $133.25,type S $180.90 or a single brass form die is $93.25....you can bite the bullet& get a deluxe set for $323.95 which is pretty close to what the whidden die cost
I am afraid to ask but did they say what a Type S Neck Match die set would run?

I'm not 100% but I was under the impression that the "deluxe set" I mentioned above for $323.95 is the type s match die set...you just specify if you want a full length (FL) or neck only(NK) included when you place your order. I opted to just order single dies such as the brass form and trim die,and a type s neck due and a micrometer size die. Always being able to add any additional does in the future. If I decided I need a full length size die, they would have my specs on record so turn around wouldn't be the 12-15 wks it had taken previously. Not sure how long but they just said it wouldn't be the entire length of time that the initial dies ordered would take.

Just for everyone's info, very shortly there should be pre fits available from Patriot Valley Arms. They stock Rock Creek and Proof barrels or you can send in your own. They have a VERY good reputation for accuracy. Josh seems like a great guy as well. Pricing is very competitive.
Also, all of the Sherman lines will be covered by Giraud for his case trimmers. We are trying to cover all the bases to fill those important needs with quality, available, products.

I was still on my original 100 pieces of NORMA 300 scum brass when I burnt out my barrel. well.....some of the original 100 I'd had to cull about half of them due to loose primer pockets. I then retired the rest when I pulled the barrel off. I was having trouble with annealing the necks. I think I over annealed them even though I was careful and used tempilac to get my timing down. I'm gonna bring them to someone with a proper annealing machine and see if they can be brought back to life. they held bullets fine it's just that the neck tension wasn't consistent anymore. I could feel it when seating and also sizing. I found some Remington stuff for cheap and have been using that. however my scale went a little nuts (gem pro 250) and was wandering like crazy. I still loaded with it while constantly recalibrating it and that's what I used to break in the new benchmark barrel. once I fixed the scale I weighed some of those loads I had been using and discovered I was shooting some hot loads! 1.6 grains over what I usually shoot. and now I've noticed a few loose primer pockets already. oops. strangely enough, it shot fairly well and didn't show much for pressure signs. The odd one had a stiff bolt and a bit of an ejector mark. I'm thinking those where a bit higher in charge weight. As for seating depth, I use 2.930" with the 140 VLD-H and keep that same seating adjustment with the Matrix 150 gr bullets. I'm playing with 140 gr chinchaga ULD's with a rebated BT. we'll see if I can get them to shoot.

Thank you Rich for your continued development of this System. Excellent news about PVA barrels, my Bartein/PVA is a laser. I will be ordering one as soon as the options is available. The Giraud is a nice addition as well, have mine on order as it is quite popular in PRS to cut down brass prep time.

Can all of you that have not already done so post the OAL of your loaded rounds along with the bullet used? This will help me determine if I will need to have an exterior bolt release installed on the XP-100 to remove a loaded round. I assume I will but it never hurts to have the numbers for the planning stage.

Dave

COAL I'm running now is 3.015" with h-1000. You will have to be around 2.965" to fit in the mag. This is in a accurate mag with the front plate removed. If you use this mag just order it with the plate already removed so you don't have to drill out the spot welds your self. They are hard to fill and if you don't fill them the tips of your bullets will try to catch in them. I have a load with n570 that I was running mag fed but I don't want to use up all my supply of that powder. The H-1000 load has a little longer coal but I'm just fine single feeding in hunting situations as my rifle was built as a light hunting gun anyway. I wanted it set up as a repeater though to see how it would work and it has performed well mag feeding although I rarely Mag feed it now hunting. If your using a Rem 700 you may need to have your smith cut a notch in the feed ramp. As rounds rise out of the magazine the tips may catch the bottom of the feed ramp so it might need a slight notch in the center for them to clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.