The Good The Bad and The Ugly About Yor 6.5 Sherman Short

Pics of the notch in the feed ramp.
IMG_5641.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

+1 on the 700 feed ramp.
Bear in mind that Chase is referring to the 150 Sierra, which is far and away the longest bullet out there!

Same here,but used a dremel with a carbide round bit,similar to the tile cut bit,followed by rough polishing wheel brushes in incrementally softer texture. Got excellent results,stopped having FTF's completely. I first had seen this some time ago but had never needed to have it done on any of my actions feedramp areas,but I'm guessing any of the short fat mag. short action cartridges would benefit from it.

H59,
Can you tell me how your Redding dies are marked or if there was a job number? I sent an email to Redding and they can't find anything. I am a little concerned about the Whidden dies. I would hate to pay that much for a set of dies and not be happy.
Dave

H59,
Can you tell me how your Redding dies are marked or if there was a job number? I sent an email to Redding and they can't find anything. I am a little concerned about the Whidden dies. I would hate to pay that much for a set of dies and not be happy.
Dave
Not sure why you would be concerned about the Whidden dies. I have Whidden and they are right up there with the best in my opinion.

CA48,
Thanks for the pics of the notch. I have a Remington 700 Short Action that is fitted with a Wyatt's box that I might use for the build and that will be good info along with everyone else's input on how they did it.
Dave

Not sure why you would be concerned about the Whidden dies. I have Whidden and they are right up there with the best in my opinion.

Just some of the reported issues with the seater die. It could be a hit or miss issue but in the past if there is going to be an issue with something I usually get it. I would just like other options to look at for the dies. I do have a Ponsness/Warren bullet seater that uses bullet sleeves to work with any caliber. I may have to try it with a few things to see how it does. Then all I would need is a sizer.

Dave

Mateo,
I found your thread on the Canadian site. I enjoyed reading it and have put it in my 6.5 SS book about the build. I did have some issues searching for something starting with, "An armature does" almost gave up on that one:eek:

Aubrey Ferris(engineer) at Redding dies is who I'm dealing with. I'm only getting dies made for myself...not sure if you might have thought that there was a group order etc. You can go to the redding website& on the home page they offer catalogs for download or mail order,but in the catalog there is an entire page that discusses "one off " dies to have made& I think even had prices. If you have a look at the catalog ,about halfway through it there is the page w/ specifics. Hope that helps...

That w
Aubrey Ferris(engineer) at Redding dies is who I'm dealing with. I'm only getting dies made for myself...not sure if you might have thought that there was a group order etc. You can go to the redding website& on the home page they offer catalogs for download or mail order,but in the catalog there is an entire page that discusses "one off " dies to have made& I think even had prices. If you have a look at the catalog ,about halfway through it there is the page w/ specifics. Hope that helps...

That will help. I know it wasn't a group buy but figured if you had turned in fired cases they would have the dimensions required for making the dies from that point on. I will do a little more checking and see about getting more information from the people that were not quite satisfied with the Whidden dies what their concerns were.

Rich, I had to have the notch in the feed ramp to run the 140s from the full mag length as well.

So he hunting with the smk 150s?

Chase,

How are they working on game?

I have a box of the 150s sitting on the bench but have not loaded any up yet. It will probably be 2 weeks before I get to.

As far as the issues with my whidden seating die. The seater will try to grab the bullet sometimes, when I was testing a very light neck tension it would unseat the the bullet sometimes. When running max loads on some brass it expanded at the case head more than my standard load does and would barely fit into the seater sleeve and would actually shave brass slightly down by the case head but chambered just fine.

I spoke with a friend that does load development for customers and has used several of the whidden seaters. He told me they use a synthetic seater plug and he had to get it replaced for better operation and that he still could not get the consistency that he sees with forstner and Redding seaters. I havent taken apart my seater die yet to look at it myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.