The Good The Bad and The Ugly About Yor 6.5 Sherman Short

Since this is Dave's thread, and it is a good question, I will give the best answer I can, realizing that there are a lot of variables, and even unknowns, at this point. First of all, any cartridge has a fairly broad range of life depending on several things. Worse case: Are you running max pressure, are you running long shot strings and heating the barrel, what are your cleaning practices, what quality is the brass?
We have SOME data on the cartridge and some data on other cartridges using ADG brass.
On the brass, I have heard a lot of positive from those who have used ADG.
Most of what I've heard is 10 to over 20 firings. We will be testing some soon in several bore sizes by several clients. I expect everyone to do honest assessments.
For the sst shooting PRS, I expect worse case could be as low as 1200 or 1300 to well over 2000. If you are running loads with a 147 class over 3000' in long strings, you will likely be around 1500 rounds. If you are using a load like our 4895 load at 3000+ with a 130, 3000 rounds would not surprise me. A high pressure hunting load, I would guess 2000 or so rounds.
So far with the ss, which has been around longer, we are at 1700-1800 with high pressure loads not running PRS like shot strings. I expect some may go more or less. This is the best I can tell you at the present time.
For cartridges that are close to 264 WM velocities, I feel this is pretty darn good with sub 3" coal.
These estimates are made using target accuracy. Hunting accuracy could be higher.
I

I truly agree with you on many things, but I thought your SST design was for battle rifles long distance in Afghanistan. Oh well, I know what the Soviets did to fight in that area in 1989. They said, it wasn't worth it. So Americans fought in Afghanistan for 16 years for one trillion dollars of tax payer money and are not provided with battle rifles that can compete with five decades old 7.62 x 54R Russian Sniper Rifles. I don't give a good God **** about hunting or competition rifles. I want a secondary battle rifle that will keep on sight with the new 300 Norma Magnum SOCOM or 338 Lapua Magnum Sniper Rifle. It has to be in a 1500 meter gun that keeps targets in sights, without much recoil. It is a tactical benefit of our latest technology in a sniper team. I need to talk to you Rich Sherman. I think you should work for the U.S. Government instead of hunters and competition shooters. You are too smart for people that can buy a new muzzle loader that can hunt and shoot past 30/30 distance and close to within one hundred yards of a 300 Savage. Don't worry about hunters, our troops need our ideas to bring them back home sometimes, Rich Sherman.
I think our Government and Military needs case designers like you , and Ballisticians like Brian Litz. I can go to the grocery store and buy meat and fish, but I can't protect our troops with an 800 yd. M-21 or M-25's from five decades ago. That is somewhat of what they are using in Afghanistan.

Thank you for the kind words Michael! I'm not all that smart but my hearing is pretty good for an old guy and I pay attention to what I hear from smart people!
Actually, there may be some talk in the near future to some military folks:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.