The Facebook crazies

You do realize I reload, and have been for many years... And yes, I do reload for a few .257 calibers... And don't know what Corbin is, but I prefer to use my Rock Chucker Supreme IV and my RCBS and Redding Comp dies.

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it a false statement.
He is talking about swaging your own bullets.

Steve

You do realize I reload, and have been for many years... And yes, I do reload for a few .257 calibers... And don't know what Corbin is, but I prefer to use my Rock Chucker Supreme IV and my RCBS and Redding Comp dies.

Sounds like a opinion to me. Not a fact. I'm fairly sure he was talking about making your own bullets, not reloading.

You do realize I reload, and have been for many years... And yes, I do play with a few .257 calibers... And don't know what Corbin is, but I prefer to use my Rock Chucker Supreme IV and my RCBS and Redding Comp dies.

If I thought you didn't load I sure would not suggest Corbin. They are for advanced loaders. Corbin makes dies and presses for making your own bullets.

"Most of the time you'll achieve roughly 50-75fps per inch of barrel length past 16". Someone explaining why someone's 16"AR is about 200fps slower than book.

Probably more like 25 to 30 fps per inch.

Anyway,
The hole in the top of the barrel for the gas tube is using that gas to cycle the bolt instead of pushing the bullet.

What are some of the great fallacies you've heard on Facebook or other sites pertaining to long range shooting? Sometimes I try to help, then I wonder why I bother.

I saw one guy comment that "I got the 5r rifling so I don't need the faster twist for heavy bullets"

"The 300wm is an antiquated round that performance can be matched by cartridges not having to burn 70gr of powder"

What else y'all got, I want a good laugh.

At the gun counter, a guy asked if they had a rifle in 357 mag. The clerk handed him a Henry lever action. The customer asked if he could hunt deer with it. The clerk started to explain that it would seriously limit the distance you could make a clean kill on a deer... A guy next to the customer interrupted "The biggest gun I have ever seen in deer camp was a 300 magnum. This is a 357 Magnum so it will definitely out do a 300."

At the gun counter, a guy asked if they had a rifle in 357 mag. The clerk handed him a Henry lever action. The customer asked if he could hunt deer with it. The clerk started to explain that it would seriously limit the distance you could make a clean kill on a deer... A guy next to the customer interrupted "The biggest gun I have ever seen in deer camp was a 300 magnum. This is a 357 Magnum so it will definitely out do a 300."
Wow......

This was my literal response reading that .357 Magnum versus .300 Magnum post...

cce.png

Not online but heard at the gun counter at a local store.

"300 win mag isn't any good at close range. The bullets need a few hundred yards to speed up".

Also A friend of mines friend and dad went white tail hunting. Kid get a shot on a buck at 200 yards and says to dad "I need your 300 mag as my 7mm-08 won't shoot that far"
Haha that's great. Not bragging but in 1997 I shot a nice Mule deer here in Montana atr 960 yards at probably a 16% incline with 0 wind with a Model 7 Woman and Youth Savage rifle with a 18" barrel. Long before educating myself, my military experience, or modern technology of my current range finder and ballistic computers. Simply shooter knowledge and maybe a LITTLE LUCK. OK, ok lots of luck haha. Dropped like a stone!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.