The Facebook crazies

Gord0

What are some of the great fallacies you've heard on Facebook or other sites pertaining to long range shooting? Sometimes I try to help, then I wonder why I bother.

I saw one guy comment that "I got the 5r rifling so I don't need the faster twist for heavy bullets"

"The 300wm is an antiquated round that performance can be matched by cartridges not having to burn 70gr of powder"

What else y'all got, I want a good laugh.

I mean there's already a ballistics table in the back of the reloading manual......
....added - the back of the box says...

Last edited:
I don't participate in FecesBook, but I have heard plenty of funny and stupid things in gun stores...

The most irritating thing newbies believe is that all it takes for someone [who's never shot over 100 yards] to instantly start shoot 1000 yards, is a high-powered scope, and a 6.5 Creedmoor... :rolleyes:

Overhearing a conversation at the local gun store between 2 guys around college age. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words, but it went like this...

Guy 1: "Do you have any .338's?"
Employee: "Sure. We got a .338 Lapua..." (hands gun to Guy 1)
Guy 1: "One day I'm going to get me one of these, then I can start shooting deer farther away..."
Guy 2: "Hell yeah! How far will it reach?"
Guy 1: "A long way...3-400 yards..."
Employee: Turning red trying not to laugh at their stupidity.

I've had tons of people ask me (after simply bore-sighting their rifles), "Is it sighted in enough to hunt with?" :eek:

Watched tons of people at the range hit a paper plate 3 times at 100 yards (roughly 3-5" groups) and confidently proclaim, "Yep, she's good!" :eek:

I've had a couple of idiots not know the difference in cartridges and metric caliber sizes, and ask me "Why in the hell do you need a 7mm Magnum to hunt whitetail deer?" Then I ask what they use and they say, ".300 WinMag..." o_O

I've heard tons of them, but it's late and I'm tired, so they're escaping me at the moment.

Watched tons of people at the range hit a paper plate 3 times at 100 yards (roughly 3-5" groups) and confidently proclaim, "Yep, she's good!" :eek:

not only did I hear it, I just seen it the day before actually the afternoon before opening day of deer gun here in WI. He could figure out why his other rifles kept moving and I asked if his barrel is touching the stock and he says " YEAH ITS SUPPOSED TO, THAT'S WHAT SUPPORTS THE BARREL!!!" I just laughed and said good luck!!

From another forum "a 8 twist 223 won't stabilize a 55 grain bullet, you have to shoot 69-77 grain with a 8 twist."
From a public range "this 22 (long rifle) is the most deadly gun on this range. If your shot with it in the stomach it can change directions once it hits you and come out in your leg or out your head"
Same range. 800 yard max range. Steel out to 600 " I bought the 338 Lapua because my 7 mag won't shoot that far"

From another forum "a 8 twist 223 won't stabilize a 55 grain bullet, you have to shoot 69-77 grain with a 8 twist."
From a public range "this 22 (long rifle) is the most deadly gun on this range. If your shot with it in the stomach it can change directions once it hits you and come out in your leg or out your head"
Same range. 800 yard max range. Steel out to 600 " I bought the 338 Lapua because my 7 mag won't shoot that far"

I've seen quite a few of these. "7 twist is way too fast for a 55gr! You need to run at least 69gr if you want it to be accurate" Yet the same guy thinks he can run a 53gr vmax in his 14 twist...

I was hunting with a new partner and was presented with a long range shot, with no ability to close the distance based on circumstances. The partner had never shot even half the distance, so I announced I was going to take the shot and did, dropping the animal. Later on it became clear the partner was agitated and insinuated that he was about to shoot himself...not having shot half that far nor possessing ballistics to that range...and inferred that I had stole the shot. You can guess where it went from there.

Not online but heard at the gun counter at a local store.

"300 win mag isn't any good at close range. The bullets need a few hundred yards to speed up".

Also A friend of mines friend and dad went white tail hunting. Kid get a shot on a buck at 200 yards and says to dad "I need your 300 mag as my 7mm-08 won't shoot that far"

Comical to say the least now isn't it! I guess that's why I went to camp at age 7 for 8 weeks, 325 miles from home, and got my Marksman, and Pro-Marksman using a 22 LR in a rifle....... Just so when I got back home I could shoot the eye out of anything I laid my eyes on, and not my own!

Seriously though, that's what I used to see and hear at the range too! The best was hearing "Oh, it's shooting high, and to the right........ I'll just aim low and left!"

Ok, Like MudRunner said, it's late, and as humorous as this thread can turn out some people are just not educated enough and might need a free pass...... So hopefully they pick up a book, and read something of value to learn from?

My most recent conversation with a guy at a range I go to often..... Hey what caliber is that you're shooting? I respond 7mm Remington Magnum. He said well if your serious about long range you'll get a 308.... That's what snipers use because they're the most deadly long range gun and it's got way more energy than your 7mm.
I laughed at the guy and asked if he could prove it as that's what he was shooting. Keep in mind the steel we were gonna shoot is regular carbon steel not actual ar 500 hardened like most range use (range went cheap) . At 400 we shoot separate plates, his swung and mine barely moved asked did I hit lol, my 7mm with 168 Berger's blew through lol. Not just on that shoot but every shot. He said that's why he don't shoot hollow points and packed up. Clearly I was laughing at that point lol. I am by no means an expert on long range but I'll take my 7 over his 308 for my purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.