The Facebook crazies

Mud, I dont know why 10ish years ago the industry abandoned these calibers. The the 6.5CM comes along and its magic. Like a 260, 6.5x284, or 6.5x55 cant all exceed it...but since it has better factory ammo and the gun press gushing over it, it will be a winner. Count me in as someone who will never own one. Even got a 6.5x47 for the wife because of this...
Yep, these are all reasons why I'll never buy one, as well. There are better options. And the whole fact that everyone would sell their left nut to own one, is cause enough for me to NOT want to own one. Pretty much every cartridge I've ever owned, was/is obscure, or was built/bought at the time it's market value was being declared "dead" by all the publications, therefore by-extension the general public. It's really funny to see how they all work on a bell-curve. Very few of them ever really reach the point of "DNR", most just slow-down, they declare it "dead", then it finds some momentum and hits a newfound resurgence in popularity. Prime example is the 7mm STW. Over its nearly 40 year lifetime, it's been declared "dead" quite a few times, yet it always claws itself back out of the hole to reclaim it's rightful throne as one of the kings of the 7mm cartridge world.

The CM has brought a lot of new shooters to the sport. Tons of new shooters can now go get a RPR, a few boxes of pretty darn accurate and inexpensive match grade CM ammo and show up at a PRS match, after a little practice, and get their toes wet.

Sure there are some negative aspects too, usually just someone complaining that their favorite cartridge and brand new custom, just got stomped on by a CM. But the more shooters we have, the stronger we are, and that's a very good thing.

The CM has brought a lot of new shooters to the sport. Tons of new shooters can now go get a RPR, a few boxes of pretty darn accurate and inexpensive match grade CM ammo and show up at a PRS match, after a little practice, and get their toes wet.

Sure there are some negative aspects too, usually just someone complaining that their favorite cartridge and brand new custom, just got stomped on by a CM. But the more shooters we have, the stronger we are, and that's a very good thing.
The .308 Win has been doing this for the last 65 years... When the publications started declaring the .308 Win as "old and outdated" is when it created its own vacuum for something else...The .260 Rem that Remington itself almost single-handedly destroyed. Which, 10 years later, allowed the 6.5 Creed to be developed and then become instant success to fill the .260 Rem's shoes, when they tried to kill it off. Basically, the gun rags acted as judge, jury, and executioner for the .308 Win by thought-seeding false information to its readers, allowing some new blood to fill a spot that didn't really or previously exist, that they themselves had created.

That's how this game works. That's how everything in life works these days. People create bullcrap, and then lie about their competition to make it seem like it's old and outdated, and create this fake need for something new. Look at cars, look at politics, look at how the democrats try to do this to the laws we already have.

Also, I've seen some of these "new shooters" you speak of...We might be better off without them. Wearing man-bun haircuts and skinny jeans while vaping on their new "box mod" in-between hot & cold cycles at the range, talking about how their new 6.5 Creed can take down 3 elephants lined up in a row at 2.5 miles away... Not all are this way, but I've witnessed it so much I've stopped going to the local ranges to avoid these gun-toting hipsters. And I mean that they are literally hipsters, who also like guns.

On this side of the big pond the 25 and 27 calibers were never in betweeners, it was the 6.5 and 7mm's that were. Lets see the 270 Win in 1925 and the 257 Roberts in 1927. The biggest reason that these 2 didn't get tight twist barrels was because back in that day they didn't need a 1 in 8 twist. The manufactures were marketing velocity and that stuck around for many many moons, and there were thousands of these rifles produced. Fast forward 5 decades and the 7mm catches on here in the states, and then the 6.5's. Both having tighter twists to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets. Its all about the timing. Call me old fashioned.. my gun safe has 2 257's and 2 270's. Both do a bang up job. Oh and a really old 7.65MM..:eek:
Bingo. This is the reason the big companies will never move into these cals for long range. Too many slow twist rifles out there and would cause tons of confusion. Only custom rifle builders and boutique bullet makers would dare enter this market.

Steve

Uff da, I guess I just let my nationality out:p. I dont like the status quo, I like to take the road less traveled. My first custom rifle and first experience in reloading was a 6.5x284, 10 years ago. It was fun. My favorite rifles to load are 240 wby, 6.5 saum, 300 Dakota, and 338 Norma. I dont jump on the bandwagon, and never will. I also shoot a M94 (2) and a Ruger #1. I have many custom rifles in odd ball or forgotten calibers, I wish the manufactures would be fair....but life isnt fair...at least not to me...

Bingo. This is the reason the big companies will never move into these cals for long range. Too many slow twist rifles out there and would cause tons of confusion. Only custom rifle builders and boutique bullet makers would dare enter this market.

Steve
The confusion should not be a factor. If you don't know about your own rifle, then you don't have much business trying to shoot long range or boutique bullets in the first place. That's how animals get maimed and hurt by crappy hunters trying to "wing-it" when they don't have a clue what they're doing, or they're trying to hunt outside of their own skillset.

As for the twist rates, let them figure this out for themselves, or by asking someone who does know, that can help educate them. Why should those of us who "can" and "know" have to suffer for those who "can't" and "don't"? That's almost a communist way of thinking put into a gun perspective...By saying that we should let the gun markets tell us what's best for us, instead of us knowing what's best for ourselves and our guns...

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, I'm just saying that I don't believe in idiot-proofing things. Let the people figure things out for themselves...If they survive, hopefully they learned their lesson...If they didn't, then good riddance to their DNA continuing to swim around the shallow end of the genetic cess-pool.

Just my opinion.

Uff da, I guess I just let my nationality out:p. I dont like the status quo, I like to take the road less traveled. My first custom rifle and first experience in reloading was a 6.5x284, 10 years ago. It was fun. My favorite rifles to load are 240 wby, 6.5 saum, 300 Dakota, and 338 Norma. I dont jump on the bandwagon, and never will. I also shoot a M94 (2) and a Ruger #1. I have many custom rifles in odd ball or forgotten calibers, I wish the manufactures would be fair....but life isnt fair...at least not to me...
Du bist deutsch, nein?

Steve

I would be flat out shocked if Berger never developes a heavier .257 bullet. They already did what you just said they would never do, by making the 170 grain 270 bullet. No factory rifles have the twist for it, but it still sells. They will get around to it, but the 245 .30 cal and .338 bullet over 300 grains will come first I believe. They have a line of bullets waiting their turn.

Mud you crack me up...my dad would know that but im a generation removed. I havent done those DNA tests, but i understand im a direct decendant of King Harald. Not that i would want that in liberal Europe now:rolleyes:

How about more stories about "My long range AR10" or "I can hit steel all day long at 300 yards, lol a 12 inch plate" or "At the lease I shoot deer at 400 yards" or the 270 being the best round ever, this is from a post on a 270:
""I was watching my trace once, and cool thing, once it hit 500, it stopped dropping, hit its second wind, and starting rising again for extra elevation"

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.