The Facebook crazies

.257 lives matter!!!

I don't have a .257, but all jokes aside, we are all people involved in long range, we are constantly looking forward to what is new, how can we improve, what new components will come out next.....to wish for companies to stop moving forward on calibers that have a slim choice of quality long range bullets and instead focus on calibers that already have EXTENSIVE high quality long range bullets.....sorry if this sounds blunt, but is somewhat narrow minded.....to me, a .257 cal 140 grain Berger EOL would give me a reason to build a bad *** antelope killing 25-06 AI. But, I have a .260 AI and shoot 140 Bergers at 3070, why would I want a different cartridge that would have only a minimal improvement in performance?? BECAUSE I CAN!! Who doesn't like building something new, different, fun? My buddy rebarreled his .270 WSM to...... .270 WSM, with a 1:8 twist....just the shoot the Berger 170 EOL. So my question in turn would be instead, why let a caliber die??

They will always build more 6mm's, 6.5's, 7's, 30's, and so on....we have little or no .257's or .270's. To wish companies to let them die is simply counter productive
It's ok. You can be blunt with me. I don't call it being narrow minded. It's being reasonable. Bet yet again, is anything in this sport reasonable? Lol

Mud runner, creedmoore shooter, you gents sound like the Facebook crazies now ;):D:)

where's the 22LR in all this debate? That round can do it all!
There's a difference in this one. I'm not having a debate with some idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. This is knowledgeable, and friendly debatte which I find very educational.

What sounds like the face book crazies is people posting up retarded memes of grown men on trikes and guys with man buns..........

High bc bullets for 25cal are not possible in standard 10" twist. Just in this LRH community there has been a cry for a long 25cal bullet. Many guys saying they would rebarrel for one. We designed it and made it. Then we heard crickets. It is evidently more fun to complain about it. Kinda like the facebook crazies.

Steve

High bc bullets for 25cal are not possible in standard 10" twist. Just in this LRH community there has been a cry for a long 25cal bullet. Many guys saying they would rebarrel for one. We designed it and made it. Then we heard crickets. It is evidently more fun to complain about it. Kinda like the facebook crazies.

Steve

I'm sensing a pattern. I suspect most companies can't afford to cater to a relatively small subset of the shooting community. Nosler, Hornady, Berger, etc. weren't willing to go to the effort, and based on your experience, Steve, that looks like a sensible decision.

That said, I applaud your willingness to branch out and offer something not widely demanded or readily accessible. I'm always more inclined to support someone who is willing to accommodate their customers wishes, rather than just considering the bottom line.

The only thing is, is that whether you like it or not, the majority of long range hunters do not want to use an all copper bullet, but instead a bullet like a Berger, LRAB, or ELD-X. Not saying at all that your bullets don't perform, I have seen them knock down animals in their tracks first hand, and if I lived in a state that required non-lead bullets, yours would be the only ones my long range rifles would shoot, but when introducing something as new as say a heavy for caliber .257 or 270, your simply not going to get the response from an all copper bullet that you would a standard cup and core bullet to start out. To be honest, I had no idea you even made one. Take into comparison the 270 Berger 170, it hasn't absolutely exploded, but it's a bullet that you simply have to rebarrel to use, and it has had fair success.

And a 30 won't do anything a 338 won't. We could go round and round. Why don't we all just shoot a 50 bmg then?

That was my point you can go on and on with that train of thought.

The 270 and 25-06 are classics now and get the job done very well. They're only lacking in this boutique segment called "Long Range Hunting". They will could still be around when some 6.5 and 7's are long gone.

That was my point you can go on and on with that train of thought.

The 270 and 25-06 are classics now and get the job done very well. They're only lacking in this boutique segment called "Long Range Hunting". They will could still be around when some 6.5 and 7's are long gone.
I understood your point. I only mentioned those 2 specifically. Why? Because they're "in-between" calibers. It would be like developing a 23 cal or a 29 cal. Neither one would offer any benefits over the standard calibers we already have.

Neither one would offer any benefits over the standard calibers we already have.
A 27 cal 170 does in fact offer more than a standard 140 6.5.....more energy and a better bc. A 140 .257 would offer a better bc than a 140 6.5, therefore more down range energy, less wind drift, and less drop at the same velocity, being the same weight. They all have something to offer. And say I had a .257 Weatherby my father gave me, I could get it performing much better with a better bullet and use a rifle with sentimental value that may otherwise sit in the safe.

A 27 cal 170 does in fact offer more than a standard 140 6.5.....more energy and a better bc. A 140 .257 would offer a better bc than a 140 6.5, therefore more down range energy, less wind drift, and less drop at the same velocity, being the same weight. They all have something to offer. And say I had a .257 Weatherby my father gave me, I could get it performing much better with a better bullet and use a rifle with sentimental value that may otherwise sit in the safe.
A 140 .257 Would be better than a 140 6.5. That's obvious. But now we have 150 6.5s that would be better than a 140 .257. I doubt youd tell the recoil between the 2. Same with a 170 27 cal then a 180 7mm. 7mm would be better, yet you'd never know the difference shooting it. So let me ask this, why is there no 23 cal or 29 cal? Wouldn't a 100 grain 23 cal be better than a 100 grain 24 cal? Or a 200 29 cal better than a 200 grain 30 cal?

A 140 .257 Would be better than a 140 6.5. That's obvious. But now we have 150 6.5s that would be better than a 140 .257. I doubt youd tell the recoil between the 2. Same with a 170 27 cal then a 180 7mm. 7mm would be better, yet you'd never know the difference shooting it. So let me ask this, why is there no 23 cal or 29 cal? Wouldn't a 100 grain 23 cal be better than a 100 grain 24 cal? Or a 200 29 cal better than a 200 grain 30 cal?
Where's my 200gr 22 cal and my 2 twist barrel **** it!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.