The Facebook crazies

That's because everybody thinks nobody will go buy a 7 or 8 twist .257 barrel... Truth is, took them a long time, but they finally started building 1:8 twist factory rifles and barrels for the 6.5mm's and look at how they've blown up the market! If they would do the same for us .257 shooters, it would do the same for the market, but my guess is that they've all got such a big boner for the 6.5 Creedmoor, they will never increase the .257's abilities to take any spotlight away from a 6.5mm... Which is complete bullcrap. Treat them all equal, and let them all shine on their own merits, but don't keep the .257 locked in the basement so the 6.5mm light looks brighter...

That's because everybody thinks nobody will go buy a 7 or 8 twist .257 barrel... Truth is, took them a long time, but they finally started building 1:8 twist factory rifles and barrels for the 6.5mm's and look at how they've blown up the market! If they would do the same for us .257 shooters, it would do the same for the market, but my guess is that they've all got such a big boner for the 6.5 Creedmoor, they will never increase the .257's abilities to take any spotlight away from a 6.5mm... Which is complete bullcrap. Treat them all equal, and let them all shine on their own merits, but don't keep the .257 locked in the basement so the 6.5mm light looks brighter...
Too many obstacles from an economic standpoint. First You need high bc bullets requiring a 1:8 twist then you need a saami approved cartridge with that 1:8 twist followed by rifle and ammo manufacturers to make the stuff...the small minority of ppl who would reload for a long range 1/4 bore don't affect any companies bottom line. And if you don't make money then soon you're not making anything(rifles,bullets,etc)
Having .257 cal competitive long range doesn't really matter. In the end, high bc, high velocity looks better on paper, it still comes down to proper marksmanship and doping your shot correctly. Push a 115vld to 3300fps, it's performance is reasonable out to a certain distance...better than a 308 with 168gr bullets...but if I need to make a shot, I still take out my 308. Lol

Besides gun companies run on the mind set of, "If i get this, I can shoot this." Right now that's the 6.5 creedmoors. I've had my weak moments too, lol

This is exactly the reason why the quarter bores get no love, and why Hornady decided on a 110gr instead of a heavier longer bullet. Why sell to only 2.5 % of the quarter bore shooters when you can market a bullet to all of them.. Can't wait to try it in my Bob and book a Cape Buffalo hunt..;);)

Just thinking out loud here. My humble opinion is there's no need for a .25cal or a 27cal. The 25 cal even if it had high bc bullets would still not do anything a 6mm or a 6.5mm wont. A 27cal doest do anything that 6.5mm or a 7mm won't. They should just continue to keep developing the high bc bullets for calibers already well grounded in long range, instead of developing bullets for a dying caliber

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here. My humble opinion is there's no need for a .25cal or a 27cal. The 25 cal even if it had high bc bullets would still not do anything a 6mm or a 6.5mm wont. A 27cal doest do anything that 6.5mm or a 7mm won't. They should just continue to keep developing the high bc bullets for calibers already well grounded in long range, instead of deverlooung bullets for a dying caliber

Thats some funny stuff right there.. I don't care who you are..
:D:D

Just thinking out loud here. My humble opinion is there's no need for a .25cal or a 27cal. The 25 cal even if it had high bc bullets would still not do anything a 6mm or a 6.5mm wont. A 27cal doest do anything that 6.5mm or a 7mm won't. They should just continue to keep developing the high bc bullets for calibers already well grounded in long range, instead of deverlooung bullets for a dying caliber

Yep...but the sentimental value lol.

Just thinking out loud here. My humble opinion is there's no need for a .25cal or a 27cal. The 25 cal even if it had high bc bullets would still not do anything a 6mm or a 6.5mm wont. A 27cal doest do anything that 6.5mm or a 7mm won't. They should just continue to keep developing the high bc bullets for calibers already well grounded in long range, instead of developing bullets for a dying caliber

But then the 7mm won't do anything that the 30 cal won't.........

We built that 1/4 bore bullet. Haven't had a single person go build a 7" twist riflw and buy bullets yet. Except us. We did a 257 Bee and running 128g bullets out of it. Good for deer beyond 800y.

Steve

I wish you were right here but the 6.5's have been turned hard since before 1900. 7.5twist has been the 6.5x55 twist rate forever. The Europeans have had it in the bag for over 100 years. We were just slow to catch on. And the 6.5 is not just the Creedmoor, Mitchell Maxbury American born New Zealand (Resident) was shooting the 6.5 x 308 and winning a long time ago. Before the 6.5 bullet craze! David Tubb learned from him although he may not admit it. I certainly showed up late and I am a big fan of both. Pulled Targets and scored for Mitchell Maxbury. I know David Tubb and think he is a wonderful resource. I am not sure the .257 bullet could keep up but I am no ballistician. Prove your point and I am all ears. Is there proof that the .25 could keep up? Always looking for an education! Thanks for the input.

It doesn't matter why... It's a matter of the whole concept of everyone else has their hay-day... .25 cal shooters have not even been given a chance. A 130-140 grain Hybrid .257 would SMOKE a 105 6mm bullet in BC and performance. But they don't want to do this, because it would kill their 6mm sales, and even dip into their 6.5mm sales with folks who want to shoot a hot rod .25-06 AI or .257 Wby...

It's a matter of principal, not a matter of whether or not it's going to put out something else.

They continue to desecrate the .25 caliber and 8mm market simply because they can.

Well grounded? What cartridges do you think laid all that groundwork? I think you might not understand that the cartridges they are leaving behind, are cartridges that paved the way for modern LR cartridges. Like the .257 Roberts +P, .25-06 Rem/AI, and 8mm RemMag. Without these, the 6.5mm craze, and .338 craze would not have taken off like they did. And it's only dying because they chose their sacrificial lamb...

Last edited:
.257 lives matter!!!

I don't have a .257, but all jokes aside, we are all people involved in long range, we are constantly looking forward to what is new, how can we improve, what new components will come out next.....to wish for companies to stop moving forward on calibers that have a slim choice of quality long range bullets and instead focus on calibers that already have EXTENSIVE high quality long range bullets.....sorry if this sounds blunt, but is somewhat narrow minded.....to me, a .257 cal 140 grain Berger EOL would give me a reason to build a bad *** antelope killing 25-06 AI. But, I have a .260 AI and shoot 140 Bergers at 3070, why would I want a different cartridge that would have only a minimal improvement in performance?? BECAUSE I CAN!! Who doesn't like building something new, different, fun? My buddy rebarreled his .270 WSM to...... .270 WSM, with a 1:8 twist....just the shoot the Berger 170 EOL. So my question in turn would be instead, why let a caliber die??

They will always build more 6mm's, 6.5's, 7's, 30's, and so on....we have little or no .257's or .270's. To wish companies to let them die is simply counter productive

.257 lives matter!!!

I don't have a .257, but all jokes aside, we are all people involved in long range, we are constantly looking forward to what is new, how can we improve, what new components will come out next.....to wish for companies to stop moving forward on calibers that have a slim choice of quality long range bullets and instead focus on calibers that already have EXTENSIVE high quality long range bullets.....sorry if this sounds blunt, but is somewhat narrow minded.....to me, a .257 cal 140 grain Berger EOL would give me a reason to build a bad *** antelope killing 25-06 AI. But, I have a .260 AI and shoot 140 Bergers at 3070, why would I want a different cartridge that would have only a minimal improvement in performance?? BECAUSE I CAN!! Who doesn't like building something new, different, fun? My buddy rebarreled his .270 WSM to...... .270 WSM, with a 1:8 twist....just the shoot the Berger 170 EOL. So my question in turn would be instead, why let a caliber die??

They will always build more 6mm's, 6.5's, 7's, 30's, and so on....we have little or no .257's or .270's. To wish companies to let them die is simply counter productive
EXACTLY!!!

It doesn't matter why... It's a matter of the whole concept of everyone else has their hay-day... .25 cal shooters have not even been given a chance. A 130-140 grain Hybrid .257 would SMOKE a 105 6mm bullet in BC and performance. But they don't want to do this, because it would kill their 6mm sales, and even dip into their 6.5mm sales with folks who want to shoot a hot rod .25-06 AI or .257 Wby...

It's a matter of principal, not a matter of whether or not it's going to put out something else.

They continue to desecrate the .25 caliber and 8mm market simply because they can.

Well grounded? What cartridges do you think laid all that groundwork? I think you might not understand that the cartridges they are leaving behind, are cartridges that paved the way for modern LR cartridges. Like the .257 Roberts +P, .25-06 Rem/AI, and 8mm RemMag. Without these, the 6.5mm craze, and .338 craze would not have taken off like they did. And it's only dying because they chose their sacrificial lamb...
Well grounded as in ones that's are currently being used for long range. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 338 etc. I was simply saying they should continue to develop what we already have instead of developing something that only a handful of people want. I highly doubt it would dip into 6mm and 6.5mm sales much. Heck I don't think they've even explored the 6mm to its full potential yet. It's taken them this long to get some 150 class 6.5mm bullets rolling which I've been wanting to see for years. That 147 eld-m must have got their rears in gear lol. All I'm saying is it's way to close to 6mm and 6.5mm to see any real world advantages. I would welcome the development, I just don't think it's necessary. I get it though, people like to be different. That why I've been a supporter of the creed since it's introduction. It was different back then. Now...... not so much. I'm not hating on the 1/4bore. I just don't want to see the manufacturers spend they're time on something like that when they can improve what we already have.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.