The Facebook crazies

A 140 .257 Would be better than a 140 6.5. That's obvious. But now we have 150 6.5s that would be better than a 140 .257. I doubt youd tell the recoil between the 2. Same with a 170 27 cal then a 180 7mm. 7mm would be better, yet you'd never know the difference shooting it. So let me ask this, why is there no 23 cal or 29 cal? Wouldn't a 100 grain 23 cal be better than a 100 grain 24 cal? Or a 200 29 cal better than a 200 grain 30 cal?
You also have to take into consideration that larger bore dia needs less pressure to create the same vel of a smaller bore with the same weight bullet. Larger dia bullets of same weight and length need less twist to stabilize. Or said another way. Long heavy for caliber bullets are easier to stabilize in larger bore dia.

The bullet examples that you gave are all very close to each other for bc. Using the same form factor or bullet design. Your bigger bore bullets would have a little advantage in bc. More likely would come down to the ability of the respective cartridge to creat vel.

Pretty hair splitting stuff.

Steve

You also have to take into consideration that larger bore dia needs less pressure to create the same vel of a smaller bore with the same weight bullet. Larger dia bullets of same weight and length need less twist to stabilize. Or said another way. Long heavy for caliber bullets are easier to stabilize in larger bore dia.

The bullet examples that you gave are all very close to each other for bc. Using the same form factor or bullet design. Your bigger bore bullets would have a little advantage in bc. More likely would come down to the ability of the respective cartridge to creat vel.

Pretty hair splitting stuff.

Steve
Bingo. That's what I'm getting at. There's no sense in bullet and rifle manufactures to cater the these other calibers when its literally splitting hairs. Its not worth the time, effort or money for them.

Well grounded as in ones that's are currently being used for long range. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 338 etc. I was simply saying they should continue to develop what we already have instead of developing something that only a handful of people want. I highly doubt it would dip into 6mm and 6.5mm sales much. Heck I don't think they've even explored the 6mm to its full potential yet. It's taken them this long to get some 150 class 6.5mm bullets rolling which I've been wanting to see for years. That 147 eld-m must have got their rears in gear lol. All I'm saying is it's way to close to 6mm and 6.5mm to see any real world advantages. I would welcome the development, I just don't think it's necessary. I get it though, people like to be different. That why I've been a supporter of the creed since it's introduction. It was different back then. Now...... not so much. I'm not hating on the 1/4bore. I just don't want to see the manufacturers spend they're time on something like that when they can improve what we already have.
Before it started blowing up in popularity, the 6.5 Creedmoor was one of those "small time" cartridges that only a handful of people wanted, because most were still shooting the .260 Rem,.260 AI, and 6.5mm BR in comps. Then one day someone started shooting it, and then Hornady decided to get behind it, and BOOM! Look where it is now in popularity. My point is, they were ALL "handful of people want" cartridges at one point in time. Give it the same opportunity as the rest, and the market needs to stop ****ing on them, and say it's raining outside.

Bingo. That's what I'm getting at. There's no sense in bullet and rifle manufactures to cater the these other calibers when its literally splitting hairs. Its not worth the time, effort or money for them.
Not many people can afford to shoot $1.00+ each projectiles, and not many people have the need to shoot copper monos. That's why that was not a very fruitful endeavor. Cheaper cup & core bullets like Bergers and Hornadys would have made it much more popular.

Before it started blowing up in popularity, the 6.5 Creedmoor was one of those "small time" cartridges that only a handful of people wanted, because most were still shooting the .260 Rem,.260 AI, and 6.5mm BR in comps. Then one day someone started shooting it, and then Hornady decided to get behind it, and BOOM! Look where it is now in popularity. My point is, they were ALL "handful of people want" cartridges at one point in time. Give it the same opportunity as the rest, and the market needs to stop ****ing on them, and say it's raining outside.
Fair enough. Only time will tell. This has been good I enjoyed this

Not many people can afford to shoot $1.00+ each projectiles, and not many people have the need to shoot copper monos. That's why that was not a very fruitful endeavor. Cheaper cup & core bullets like Bergers and Hornadys would have made it much more popular.
I sure as heck can't afford them. Heck I don't even want to pay for bergers. That's why I shoot hornadys. It's not that I dislike berger I just can't afford to shoot them all the time.

I sure as heck can't afford them. Heck I don't even want to pay for bergers. That's why I shoot hornadys. It's not that I dislike berger I just can't afford to shoot them all the time.
It's hard to stop shooting Bergers once you shoot them. I've just had such awesome luck with them, I can't see going (possibly backwards, IMO) to anything else I've shot in the past, which is several of the major brands of bullet available. Not saying they're any better than anything else, because I've had just about every type of bullet fail to expand, including 1 Berger, 1 Barnes Triple-Shock, a couple Nosler Accubonds, and had 1 Hornady SST blowup on impact...So as far as "reliability" and "predictability" I'd say 6 in one hand, half-dozen in the other, and it all comes down to accuracy and personal preference.

What comes first the chicken or the egg? The new twist rates or the bullets? It seems the bullet and arms manufacturers are hesitant to jump into the 25, 27, and 325 market. Next quarters profit is more important than the next several years forecast. Right now its all financial bs forecasting.

A given high bc bullet in these unloved calibers would of course compete with its adjacent competitors. 257 wby, 325 wsm and 8mm RM would all see a resurgance in popularity. But they are selling all they can now and then some...no incentive to re tool...

What comes first the chicken or the egg? The new twist rates or the bullets? It seems the bullet and arms manufacturers are hesitant to jump into the 25, 27, and 325 market. Next quarters profit is more important than the next several years forecast. Right now its all financial bs forecasting.

A given high bc bullet in these unloved calibers would of course compete with its adjacent competitors. 257 wby, 325 wsm and 8mm RM would all see a resurgance in popularity. But they are selling all they can now and then some...no incentive to re tool...
Yeah, but if they'd been treating them all equally this whole time, we wouldn't be having to deal with this crap.

Mud, I dont know why 10ish years ago the industry abandoned these calibers. The the 6.5CM comes along and its magic. Like a 260, 6.5x284, or 6.5x55 cant all exceed it...but since it has better factory ammo and the gun press gushing over it, it will be a winner. Count me in as someone who will never own one. Even got a 6.5x47 for the wife because of this...

On this side of the big pond the 25 and 27 calibers were never in betweeners, it was the 6.5 and 7mm's that were. Lets see the 270 Win in 1925 and the 257 Roberts in 1927. The biggest reason that these 2 didn't get tight twist barrels was because back in that day they didn't need a 1 in 8 twist. The manufactures were marketing velocity and that stuck around for many many moons, and there were thousands of these rifles produced. Fast forward 5 decades and the 7mm catches on here in the states, and then the 6.5's. Both having tighter twists to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets. Its all about the timing. Call me old fashioned.. my gun safe has 2 257's and 2 270's. Both do a bang up job. Oh and a really old 7.65MM..:eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.