The Facebook crazies

Not online but heard at the gun counter at a local store.

"300 win mag isn't any good at close range. The bullets need a few hundred yards to speed up".

Also A friend of mines friend and dad went white tail hunting. Kid get a shot on a buck at 200 yards and says to dad "I need your 300 mag as my 7mm-08 won't shoot that far"
Oh and chambered in 7mm-08 to correct my previous response.

Today at the range a guy was telling thr RO that the most accurate rifle he has is a Rem model 742 chambered in 7mm rem mag !!!!!
That is completely impossible in a few different ways!

Today at the range a guy was telling thr RO that the most accurate rifle he has is a Rem model 742 chambered in 7mm rem mag !!!!!
That is completely impossible in a few different ways!
He might have meant 7mm Rem Express (.280 Rem), but they were never offered in 7mm Rem Mag.

I will say this, my buddy has a late 70's 742 in .270 Win, and I was surprised at how accurate that rifle is. The 742 was not known for it's accuracy, same goes for the 7400 series semi-autos.

I don't participate in FecesBook, but I have heard plenty of funny and stupid things in gun stores...

The most irritating thing newbies believe is that all it takes for someone [who's never shot over 100 yards] to instantly start shoot 1000 yards, is a high-powered scope, and a 6.5 Creedmoor... :rolleyes:

Overhearing a conversation at the local gun store between 2 guys around college age. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words, but it went like this...

Guy 1: "Do you have any .338's?"
Employee: "Sure. We got a .338 Lapua..." (hands gun to Guy 1)
Guy 1: "One day I'm going to get me one of these, then I can start shooting deer farther away..."
Guy 2: "Hell yeah! How far will it reach?"
Guy 1: "A long way...3-400 yards..."
Employee: Turning red trying not to laugh at their stupidity.

I've had tons of people ask me (after simply bore-sighting their rifles), "Is it sighted in enough to hunt with?" :eek:

Watched tons of people at the range hit a paper plate 3 times at 100 yards (roughly 3-5" groups) and confidently proclaim, "Yep, she's good!" :eek:

I've had a couple of idiots not know the difference in cartridges and metric caliber sizes, and ask me "Why in the hell do you need a 7mm Magnum to hunt whitetail deer?" Then I ask what they use and they say, ".300 WinMag..." o_O

I've heard tons of them, but it's late and I'm tired, so they're escaping me at the moment.

OMG! I've heard this so many times.

"Most of the time you'll achieve roughly 50-75fps per inch of barrel length past 16". Someone explaining why someone's 16"AR is about 200fps slower than book.
Holy sheep dip ! Where do I sign up for THAT ? And to think I spent a boat load of money for a mere 20fps per inch more ! Dang, I feel stupid! Lmao . Crap , by that calculation, lessee, 33 minus 16 ummm LAWSY MAE, I'M AGONNA GET ME 900FPS MOORREE !!! wow.
Seriously, that is some funny stuff !
Gregg

image.jpeg
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a decent cartridge and has a huge following because of fantastic support from manufacturers offering plenty of ammo, brass and rifle options,

Without a doubt, Hornady pumped a ton of money into hyping up a minimally performing cartridge and bribed a good bunch of literary prostitutes (gun writers) with free bling to accelerate the hype .......

ballistically it does nothing more than what the 6.5 Swede has been doing for thousands of years, nothing really wrong with that except the gun dummies that get bent out their skulls imagining it's potency and greatness to the point of making up some of the most moronic "facts" and believe them

I'll never own one because of the stupid surrounding the 6.5 Creedmoor

That one is great Pro! I have encountered the "higher BC cartridges" folks before. It never fails to be a humorous conversation, especially when they think they're right and that you're wrong, when you try to tell them that the ballistic coefficient comes from the bullet that's being shot, and not the cartridge it's shot from.

It also really blows their mind when you try to explain how the only possible exception to a static BC is that with large velocity differentials above and below 3,000 FPS MV, the BC will slightly fluctuate higher or lower. So depending on how fast or slow the cartridge can propel the bullet, it can affect the bullet's pre-established BC.

This one may have already been posted, but it deserves a second. Cracks me up.

Attachments

• oh-you-shoot-65-creedmoor-you-must-be-such-a-great-marksman.jpg
    oh-you-shoot-65-creedmoor-you-must-be-such-a-great-marksman.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts