The Facebook crazies

I was at a range doing some load development in my .260 AI as well as a 300 wm for a friend, and another guy in the shoot house asked "What ya shootin?" This elderly gentlemen happens to be the self proclaimed long range guru in the town I live in (approx. 2000 people). I personally had never met or talked to him prior to this.

Well I told him, and he asked "What bullets are you shooting?" I said "I'm doing some load developement with the new 147 hornady eld-m's in my .260 AI, seeing if I can get them to shoot, and trying some Berger 215's and Hornady 212 eld-x's in this 300 win mag of my buddies". Well, apparently he didn't like that answer. He scoffed, and said "You planning on using those for long range?" I said "Ya, with my .260 last year I got a pronghorn at 876, and my cousin used it to get a deer at 925, both of those with a berger 140 vld, and my buddy wants a good load in his 300 win mag to reach out if he needs." Then he said.... "Well your using the wrong bullet in both of those for long range" ....curious of what he would say, I asked "What would you suggest?" he said "Anything heavier than a 180 in a 300 win mag is way too heavy unless you just want to use it for a brush gun. I use 150's and they will outperform those heavy bullets at long range all day long. And in that .260, considering it's the same performance as a 6.5 creedmoor you should be using a 120 grain or lighter."

I have one more.

This moron was asking me how I sight in my rifles. I told him that if they are rifles that I don't dial, I sight them in between 200-300 yards depending on caliber and ballistics, to get the farthest point blank out of them, and on my long range guns that I dial I zero them at 100 yards. He then stated....

I sight my 300 win mag in 2 inches high at 100 yards, and that puts me right on at 600 yards. This moron also happens to be my sisters boyfriend. It is very frustrating.
Long range to most people is 200yds (but they think that 200 is really 4-500...). With the groups I've seen most people shoot at my local range at 100m they would be lucky to hit a deer at 200... I seriously have never seen anyone there shoot less than 4moa.

Just an observation, There is no bad cartridges ! only poor shots and poor rifles. People that Love one cartridge and hate another have an equal number of opposite opinions.

I have seen and heard many strange and dangerous statements and saw
almost as many in real life. I attempted to stop some, or correct the person before they performed these mistakes and in some cases I was unsuccessful and just move on.

It is refreshing that Many members on this site recognize these things as being poor practices at best. (It tell me that there is still hope, at least for some).

None of us are perfect, and we have all done stupid things and hopefully learned from them. (I had an old sage tell me once that the "First mistake means you are uninformed, the second time means you are stupid".

Interesting post

J E CUSTOM

with
with all due respect. You can run a 53 gr. vmax in a 14 twist. 7 twist will work with a 55 but it isn't needed. Works great in a 12/14 twist

Horandy themselves say that the 53gr vmax sent stabilize in a 14 or slower twist rate.

Exactly. Even hornady says it won't work in a 14. It is right in their load data.

Just an observation, There is no bad cartridges ! only poor shots and poor rifles. People that Love one cartridge and hate another have an equal number of opposite opinions.

I have seen and heard many strange and dangerous statements and saw
almost as many in real life. I attempted to stop some, or correct the person before they performed these mistakes and in some cases I was unsuccessful and just move on.

It is refreshing that Many members on this site recognize these things as being poor practices at best. (It tell me that there is still hope, at least for some).

None of us are perfect, and we have all done stupid things and hopefully learned from them. (I had an old sage tell me once that the "First mistake means you are uninformed, the second time means you are stupid".

Interesting post

J E CUSTOM

I've made many many mistakes, done lots of stupid things, and believed fallacies. The biggest difference is trying to learn from those and take others advise that know.

I've made many many mistakes, done lots of stupid things, and believed fallacies. The biggest difference is trying to learn from those and take others advise that know.
Ditto. Done way to many stupid things to really get my back up over other people's ******* garbage, but my first mother in law had a saying that seems to help me-you can't reason with unreasonable people.

My local range uses a rule that states "You must be able to shoot a 3" group @ 200 yds to qualify to shoot on the Long Range setup". A couple of weeks ago, I was zeroing with a new powder in my 6.5 Sherman. Caught some good conditions and put 3 in a tiny clover @ 200 yds. While I was waiting for a cease fire, to retrieve my target board, I got in a conversation with a guy next to me.

He related that he had been trying to qualify for LR for several weeks, with no luck. He said he'd tried every brand and weight ammo in his new 300 short mag and he couldn't break the 3" three shot rule. He had seen my target and asked if he could borrow my rifle to qualify with, because if he get on the LR, he could do much better, as his bullets would go to sleep. When I mentioned that would not be fair and declined, he wanted to borrow my target to show the RSO. I was happy to tell him "he's standing right behind you" and the RSO mentioned he could "tell the difference between a 6.5 hole vs a 30 cal hole".

It was pretty funny, but also very sad. I think we all want to advance new shooters with our individual help when we can. I always carry my tools and I figured I would troubleshoot his scope and borescope his barrel for copper, but this guy's "skip the steps" attitude proved he was not worth my time.

Gentlemen...and I use that term loosely...
I really like what all of you are saying....funny as hell....if you were all in a room you would probably look lol brothers...right down to the underwear...
I too have seen some PEOPLE behind a counter trying to entice me into buying a rifle I have have no need....all their talk in and ok the other ear......most of it..my hearing is bad too......so every other word from them that I could understand want thru.....
Now to weaponry....I purchased a ruger 260 Remington compact for my wife several years ago....she shoots it really well..any animal within 300 yards is dead..actually her first kill with it was 326..cascade blacktail....nice buck...she also has a 7wsm that she killed her first bull elk at 300 yards.....but I have now opted to put her into the 65-284 class..not for reasons you claim...but I think this rifle being built will give her the confidence to extend her range a bit..alot of practice of course...but his that extra boost from 260 and a step back from the Winchester 7wsm....but with her physical disabilities timing is everthing..although she has her handicap permits allowing her to shoot from the truck..she has no desire too do that...but that's where she is...no walking...
Back to the fads....there are people that fun that middle cartridge extremely desireable...I hope she is one....
Finished with my raves......get back to ranting so I have something to read while wasting time.....
Thx guys...and thx for the site Len as it is full of great info.....and characters....
That .260 Rem should be plenty of gun for deer a lot further out than 300 if it is accurate enough. My 14 year old daughter took her muley last year at 637 with my 6.5 SLR (ballistic twin of the .260). 127 LRX @ 3000fps. Deer dropped at the shot and never even kicked. The 140 HVLDs work phenominally as well @ 2850fps.

Here is one I just ran accross.

Attachments

• 23905414_10213262457827883_8421110127121700813_n.jpg
    23905414_10213262457827883_8421110127121700813_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 283
This thread reminds me of a buddy that always has a table at the local gun show. He had a nice Smith .357 on the table that was a collector piece with an $800 price tag to match. Some big biker chick walked up and looked over his guns, picked up the Smith and said "kinda high on your .357 aren't you, I have a .357 and I only paid $300 for mine".

He actually took the time to explain that all guns are not equal but I am pretty sure he just wasted his breath.

Well I guess I can't disagree with that. I'd say it's pretty accurate assesment. I just get alot of crap for it because of those idiots and I just get so sick of dealing with it. I chose it for actual reasons other than it's "cool". I just keep to myself about the creed now. I don't recommend it to anyone on the internet. Too bad because there's alot to like.

Who cares if someone else likes or dislikes it. I wanted a creed for years until a company built one that checked my lists and I think it's awesome for what it is.
Saying that, I'm not exposed to rifle toting idiots much...met one once. I've been to a gun range one time...I don't really run into too many people when I'm shooting targets by my house. Lol but the creed is a cool little round with a lot performance and a lot cheaper to shoot than my wbys!

That .260 Rem should be plenty of gun for deer a lot further out than 300 if it is accurate enough. My 14 year old daughter took her muley last year at 637 with my 6.5 SLR (ballistic twin of the .260). 127 LRX @ 3000fps. Deer dropped at the shot and never even kicked. The 140 HVLDs work phenominally as well @ 2850fps.

I agree...the little compact ruger does shoot...and she can shoot...but she just hasn't the opportunity to get out and shoot longer distances....with her illnesses she has several visits to Drs regularly....a full time ostomy on one side..and now a new internal painpump on the other...most every movement she makes causes her pain..and there aren't any quick movements...she is almost at an end to her hunting let alone any other family fun....to tell you the truth I couldn't imagine bearing the pains she is going thru...
If you would like to checkout how she regulates her pain time...checkout her blog... I think it is "my mommy is sick"...her name is staceylyn deSoto....she started it as a way to help our young son to help other children...and it has readers all over the world..... Her illnesses have no treatment..there was nothing about her illnesses in any literature..so she created some....now there are people with similar diagnosis coming forth..all over the world...
And at one time there was someone at the Vatican following her blog....she is very literate...so many can relate because she writes very well.....but it takes her several hours to focus and actual put to words what she wants to say....back in high school she was our class valedictorian..it was a tight race...back then we had 10 students in our class of 72..in the top 10% in the state of Oregon...
Three westinghouse award winners....I didn't make the curve....

Sorry..didn't mean to interrupt the good stuff....thought I was sending directly to lance....please continue the ranting....its good to vent....and this is just the place....

hey now wait a minute,I am not a Creediot just because I am having a 6mm creed built I just wanted something new to go along with all the other calibers I have hahahahahahaha
It's not just Face Book where the Creediots roam, the stupid is everywhere, even here ...
they really actually believe that the 6.5 Creedmoor has a higher bc than any other 6.5mm cartridge
I am not a

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.