The Facebook crazies

What are some of the great fallacies you've heard on Facebook or other sites pertaining to long range shooting? Sometimes I try to help, then I wonder why I bother.

I saw one guy comment that "I got the 5r rifling so I don't need the faster twist for heavy bullets"

"The 300wm is an antiquated round that performance can be matched by cartridges not having to burn 70gr of powder"

What else y'all got, I want a good laugh.

One word of advise to all.

Don't believe anything you hear on the Interdnet and only half of what you actually see.:rolleyes:

J E CUSTOM

I was in a shop in NH about a month ago. The owner has 2 new guys that will run the store during the morning. One about 22ish just finished an online gunsmith course to go along with his voc tech machine abilities. He took a 10tw 7mm and throated it to shoot the 195 berger. The reason for the 10 tw was on the recommendation of the older guy who knows everything about shooting according to him. The older store keeper is of the thought that the higher the number the heavier the bullet.
I didn't say a word to adjust or correct their though process just smiled and left when I was done

Ran into a guy at the local range one day. He was shooting off hand trying to sight in his rifle. I offered to let him use my sandbags. He responded he's not going have sandbags when he is hunting, so no need to use them at the range.
That's a classic! I've heard that one, too. I was just in shock at the level of ignorance.

I had someone try to tell me a 7mm Rem mag wouldn't do any damage at close range because it has "too much power" and the bullet won t have time to expand and just zip right through without any expansion
I've learned over the years your typical hunter doesn't know jack crap about guns, ammo, bullets, or ballistics...And sadly enough, most of the time the anatomy of the animal they're hunting. I've heard the same crap, too. I've had it happen with several different calibers, cartridges, and bullets. But it wasn't due to how powerful it was, or how close the animal was, it was due to the bullets failing to expand properly.

I've learned over the years your typical hunter doesn't know jack crap about guns, ammo, bullets, or ballistics...And sadly enough, most of the time the anatomy of the animal they're hunting. I've heard the same crap, too. I've had it happen with several different calibers, cartridges, and bullets. But it wasn't due to how powerful it was, or how close the animal was, it was due to the bullets failing to expand properly.
Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet. It just boggles my mind the way these people think.

I got another one. Was talking to a friend of mine and he was at the gun shop talking to a customer.

Berger bullets came up this is what was said.
Other guy: those berger bullets are crap. I shot an animal in the *** and it didn't even die.
Friend: Why did you shoot it there?
Other guy: I wanted to save the nose as it is a delicacy with my people.

We live up in the woods where a LOT of city people come to hunt. We have a pretty nice covered range, so they all wait till they get up here to sight in their rifles. If I had a dollar for every time someone declared minute of paper plate good enough...I'd have a lot of dollars!

You all will think I'm full of crap on this one. When I was young, maybe 10 or so, some city people actually asked me how old a deer was when it turned into an elk. :eek:

Heard at a gun shop;
Customer: "I want a 338 Lapua."
Owner: "What kind of a rifle did you have in mind?"
Owner: "Yes, but what brand of rifle did you did you want for your 338 Lapua ?"
Customer: " I want a 338 Lapua."
Owner: "I think we're done here."

Gus

Heard at a gun shop;
Owner: "What kind of a rifle did you have in mind?"
Owner: "Yes, but what brand of rifle did you did you want for your 338 Lapua ?"
Customer: " I want a 338 Lapua."
Owner: "I think we're done here."

Gus
And that is your typical 6.5 Creemoor and .338 Lapua shooter. Sadly, this isn't even a joke. I've seen it more than a dozen times myself. I'm almost positive it happens DAILY across the country.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.