The Facebook crazies

It's not asking silly questions, those are fine and nobody around here will have a problem helping you out. It's the people making statements as "fact" that are nothing close.
i got all that Sir. I have heard many of the same things already mentioned and or gross variations. It' a sad thing because these Azzhats are giving the entire shooting/hunting industry a black eye.

i worked a few seasons as an Outfitters right hand man in the off season and got to go some shot shows and work the booth booking clients(this was before Montana lost it's "guide sponsored" tags"). The Outfitter i worked for had a few rules for me to fallow. My first rule was this.
" NEVER book a client if you know they are a Dumb ***. It's o.k to refuse a client. "
I turned down a few and remember two making it to camp and the Outfitter telling me i should run a harder cut the next season. We made them qualify there gun at a range at 100 and 300 yds. before they left the lodge. More than one borrowed a Lodge rifle for there hunt and our favorite lender was a Smith n Wesson 30-06 and 180 gr. Partitions

[QUOTE="MudRunner2005, post: 1364368, member: 12995"
It's the same with everything these days, it's like 90% of the world is completely uninformed morons. False advertising, participation trophies, fake news, and BS late night TV show hosts spouting mass amounts of bullcrap have made them this way. They think they can go buy a $3,000 Gibson Les Paul and immediately start playing like Slash... Or they can go buy a Ferrari, and immediately start driving like Mario Andretti... It's like 90% of the world has cognitive failure of logic and reasoning.[/QUOTE]

We had a guy and his buddy show up at the local club F-class 1000yd match. Set up next to me with an AI, illegal muzzle brake and all. Started banging away; it was a club match so I didn't make a big deal of the brake blasting me and just sucked it up.

The guy went the whole first string without landing a round on the target, though afterwards we think he was responsible to shooting the sensor off the next electronic target over. Got ticked off, packed up, and left. Probably zeroed at 100 then came to the match and either didn't really know his drop or how to deal with a 15mph wind. I guess he thought his expensive rifle would find the target for him. ;)

It's not the cartridge, as much as it is the supporters that have created this situation of hate. Same thing with Savage rifles. It's not that they're bad guns, it's that the supporters have created this fake level of superiority by putting everybody else's products down. I gather my own info based on personal experiences as to why I don't like Savages, and that's because I personally packed up and shipped back more of them than any other brand of rifle, for repair or replacement for customers, back when I worked at the gun store. That's why I don't like them. The supporters talking crap about Remington all the time, when they're gun is a 90% ripoff of a 700 action, is also pretty annoying.

Back to the Creedmoor... It's because every idiot and their brother who knows nothing about guns, owns one so they can feel cool. Cartridge performance aside, it's become a trend to own a 6.5 Creedmoor. Which is why I started calling it a "hipster cartridge" years ago. It has become a trend, just like hipsters are. And hipsters look retarded dressing and acting the way they do, and they're complete ironic hypocrites, and that's why everybody makes fun of them.

The Creedmoor also gets alot of hate, because people have created this false mystique about the 6.5 Creedmoor as if it was designed by God himself and handed down to Thor for him to forge with his hammer from unicorn horns and King Midas' leprechaun rainbow gold. As if you can go buy one off the shelf, slap on a high-powered optic, buy some Hornady match ammo, and drive straight to your local 1K range, and hit on the first shot, despite having never shot over 100-200 yards in your life, prior to owning your new Creedmoor.

It's the same with everything these days, it's like 90% of the world is completely uninformed morons. False advertising, participation trophies, fake news, and BS late night TV show hosts spouting mass amounts of bullcrap have made them this way. They think they can go buy a $3,000 Gibson Les Paul and immediately start playing like Slash... Or they can go buy a Ferrari, and immediately start driving like Mario Andretti... It's like 90% of the world has cognitive failure of logic and reasoning.
The same thing could have been said about the STW not to long ago. It was the latest and greatest at one time and everyone wanted one. And we all know you are a STW supporter Mud.;)
My point is that these fads start for a reason most of the time. Be it bench rest, prs, or some other group of shooters in the case of cartridges. They pick it up and every one goes nuts for it. STW, 6.5-284, creedmoor, WSM,etc. All the same, fad cartridges, but that don't mean they don't have there place.

Gentlemen...and I use that term loosely...
I really like what all of you are saying....funny as hell....if you were all in a room you would probably look lol brothers...right down to the underwear...
I too have seen some PEOPLE behind a counter trying to entice me into buying a rifle I have have no need....all their talk in and ok the other ear......most of it..my hearing is bad too......so every other word from them that I could understand want thru.....
Now to weaponry....I purchased a ruger 260 Remington compact for my wife several years ago....she shoots it really well..any animal within 300 yards is dead..actually her first kill with it was 326..cascade blacktail....nice buck...she also has a 7wsm that she killed her first bull elk at 300 yards.....but I have now opted to put her into the 65-284 class..not for reasons you claim...but I think this rifle being built will give her the confidence to extend her range a bit..alot of practice of course...but his that extra boost from 260 and a step back from the Winchester 7wsm....but with her physical disabilities timing is everthing..although she has her handicap permits allowing her to shoot from the truck..she has no desire too do that...but that's where she is...no walking...
Back to the fads....there are people that fun that middle cartridge extremely desireable...I hope she is one....
Finished with my raves......get back to ranting so I have something to read while wasting time.....
Thx guys...and thx for the site Len as it is full of great info.....and characters....

The same thing could have been said about the STW not to long ago. It was the latest and greatest at one time and everyone wanted one. And we all know you are a STW supporter Mud.;)
My point is that these fads start for a reason most of the time. Be it bench rest, prs, or some other group of shooters in the case of cartridges. They pick it up and every one goes nuts for it. STW, 6.5-284, creedmoor, WSM,etc. All the same, fad cartridges, but that don't mean they don't have there place.
You know I've been shooting the 7mm STW since 2002, right? That's 5 years before the 6.5 Creedmoor was even developed. And actually, at the time I bought my first STW, it was being pronounced dead by Remington...AGAIN...And they had already halted production of all production model rifles chambered in 7mm STW, only custom-shop orders were allowed. Just like they did with the .260 Rem.

Hardly a recent spike in interest on my end...I've seen the STW pronounced "DOA" and then resuscitate itself several times since I first started shooting it. :cool:

Also, I never said the 6.5CM didn't have a place, hell, I even said that if all the supporter crap had never been started, I'd probably have bought or built one long ago.

Last edited:
Just poking a bit of fun mud.:) don't get me wrong, I'm fond of the STW. It was my uncles R.W. Hart 7 STW that got me started shooting long range.
My point was that just because it's all the rage at the moment isn't necessarily a bad thing for the hole industry. Gun sells are always a good thing, new people in the sport. I know some of the newbies at the gun store can be comical but we all started somewhere right?
What I look at when choosing a new cartridge is, intended use, bullet I want to shoot and at what velocity, brass avalabillity, and then case design.

My point was that just because it's all the rage at the moment isn't necessarily a bad thing for the hole industry. Gun sells are always a good thing, new people in the sport. I know some of the newbies at the gun store can be comical but we all started somewhere right!

Somewhat, but the uneducated supporters that Mud speaks of are a negative in my opinion, especially in long range hunting. It would be one thing if they were just shooting steel, but they are shooting at animals way outside their ability. This gives LRH a real bad rep. I can't stand it. They give ethical, knowledgeable LR guys a bad name.

I would agree that most cartridges do start because of popularity in a certain shooting discipline but, correct me if I am wrong, wasnt the Creedmoor popularity was largely due to good marketing initially and not performance?

Somewhat, but the uneducated supporters that Mud speaks of are a negative in my opinion, especially in long range hunting. It would be one thing if they were just shooting steel, but they are shooting at animals way outside their ability. This gives LRH a real bad rep. I can't stand it. They give ethical, knowledgeable LR guys a bad name.

I would agree that most cartridges do start because of popularity in a certain shooting discipline but, correct me if I am wrong, wasnt the Creedmoor popularity was largely due to good marketing initially and not performance?
I can see your point there. I would hope people don't buy a gun, bore sight it and start banging away at game at 500 yards. But then again I've seen two engineers that couldn't change a tube of grease. As in both of them working together!
Yes they did do a good job marketing the creed, but I would say performance is a relative term.

It's not just Face Book where the Creediots roam, the stupid is everywhere, even here ...
they really actually believe that the 6.5 Creedmoor has a higher bc than any other 6.5mm cartridge

with
I've seen quite a few of these. "7 twist is way too fast for a 55gr! You need to run at least 69gr if you want it to be accurate" Yet the same guy thinks he can run a 53gr vmax in his 14 twist...
with all due respect. You can run a 53 gr. vmax in a 14 twist. 7 twist will work with a 55 but it isn't needed. Works great in a 12/14 twist

with
with all due respect. You can run a 53 gr. vmax in a 14 twist. 7 twist will work with a 55 but it isn't needed. Works great in a 12/14 twist
Good luck with that.
Screenshot_20171125-052933.png

I was at a range doing some load development in my .260 AI as well as a 300 wm for a friend, and another guy in the shoot house asked "What ya shootin?" This elderly gentlemen happens to be the self proclaimed long range guru in the town I live in (approx. 2000 people). I personally had never met or talked to him prior to this.

Well I told him, and he asked "What bullets are you shooting?" I said "I'm doing some load developement with the new 147 hornady eld-m's in my .260 AI, seeing if I can get them to shoot, and trying some Berger 215's and Hornady 212 eld-x's in this 300 win mag of my buddies". Well, apparently he didn't like that answer. He scoffed, and said "You planning on using those for long range?" I said "Ya, with my .260 last year I got a pronghorn at 876, and my cousin used it to get a deer at 925, both of those with a berger 140 vld, and my buddy wants a good load in his 300 win mag to reach out if he needs." Then he said.... "Well your using the wrong bullet in both of those for long range" ....curious of what he would say, I asked "What would you suggest?" he said "Anything heavier than a 180 in a 300 win mag is way too heavy unless you just want to use it for a brush gun. I use 150's and they will outperform those heavy bullets at long range all day long. And in that .260, considering it's the same performance as a 6.5 creedmoor you should be using a 120 grain or lighter."

I have one more.

This moron was asking me how I sight in my rifles. I told him that if they are rifles that I don't dial, I sight them in between 200-300 yards depending on caliber and ballistics, to get the farthest point blank out of them, and on my long range guns that I dial I zero them at 100 yards. He then stated....

I sight my 300 win mag in 2 inches high at 100 yards, and that puts me right on at 600 yards. This moron also happens to be my sisters boyfriend. It is very frustrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts