The do all 6.5 bullet????

I have a 264 Win I run 140 VLDs in for the bigger stuff.
This guns primary purpose is rock chucks, coyotes, mule deer
Knowing it will get used a ton for a coyote rig and wanting the velocity is the reason for the hope of a good 100-125 bullet even been looking at the 107 Sierra and Nosler custom comp problem I face is the 6.5 bullet selection in my area sucks right now so I will have to make an order for some and just was hoping someboy has some good direction of what there using and likeing

One thing nice about CE bullets is you can get them easily. Usually shipped less than a week after order.

To the guys recommending the 140 bullets, I would normally agree, but obviously they will not work in a 9" twist. Not even the Berger 130's.

I have a 6.5-06 with a 9 twist barrel and it shoots the berger 140s beautifully.

As far as killing power of the 123 Amax. I have a friend with an AR chambered in 6.5 grendel that he killed his deer with last year at 500 yards. Went through both shoulders and the deer piled up where he stood. Should work even better out of a 260.

I have a 6.5-06 with a 9 twist barrel and it shoots the berger 140s beautifully.

As far as killing power of the 123 Amax. I have a friend with an AR chambered in 6.5 grendel that he killed his deer with last year at 500 yards. Went through both shoulders and the deer piled up where he stood. Should work even better out of a 260.

That's interesting. Berger recommends an 8" twist for both their 140's and 130's. What elevation are you? Anyway, the OP already has a rifle for the heavier bullets.

I have been doing a ton of reading and I keep seeing the formula of 48.00 grains 4831SC with a 123 Amax show up and ppl being very pleased and it sounds like there working on game might be the way to go

I'm right at 3000' elevation here. Keep in mind also that stability increases with distance as the rate of spin decreases at a slower rate than the velocity of the bullet. So a bullet fired from a 1:9 twist may be marginal at the muzzle its more than enough at 200 yards. I think Bryan litz lists the SG of the 140 at 1.3 in a 9 twist with 1.4 being optimal but anything over 1 meaning the bullet should stabilize. I'm just going from memory on those numbers so don't hold me to that. Anyways all I'm saying is don't write off the heavy 140s until you try them.

Just set up a 6.5x284 cooper for a friend. It shot the 140 Bergers under 3/4 moa, with several 1/2 moa groups. It was a 9 twist and I am at 4100' asl.

Jeff

So got the new 260 Rem on the way and am having a hard time settling on a bullet.
I have choose 2 powders Varget and 4831SC
Choosen the brass lapua 260 New
But the bullets a little tougher I want something in the 120 range which eliminates the Bergers I load for most everything else
I want to use it on everything from coyotes-deer or just a day at the range with 600-800 yard capabilitys have even considerd the 100tsx but wanted to get some real world feed back and sugestions
Thanks for the replies

130 Accubond is all you need. I just loaded up some test ammo for my 6.5-284 with that bullet and Reloder 19 powder for my upcoming hunt in SC. My brother says longest possible shot is 250 at best so I didn't want to use the Berger 140 VLDs I have on the shelf. I bought a TON of 130 AB seconds for an unbelievable price so those will be my go-to bullet for my Eastern hunting.

I'm right at 3000' elevation here. Keep in mind also that stability increases with distance as the rate of spin decreases at a slower rate than the velocity of the bullet. So a bullet fired from a 1:9 twist may be marginal at the muzzle its more than enough at 200 yards. I think Bryan litz lists the SG of the 140 at 1.3 in a 9 twist with 1.4 being optimal but anything over 1 meaning the bullet should stabilize. I'm just going from memory on those numbers so don't hold me to that. Anyways all I'm saying is don't write off the heavy 140s until you try them.

At 20*, Sea Level and 2800 fps the Sg is about 1.1

At 20*, 3000' and 2800 fps the Sg is about 1.26

At 59*, Sea Level and 2800 fps the Sg is about 1.22

Usually @ 1.1 and above a bullet will stabilize but it's in that marginal area until it gets near 1.5

One of our Alaskan members was shooting 200 CEB's out of his RUM this spring and shot very nice groups @ 300 yds. When he took it out to 500 yds, they were keyholing and 1 or 2 missed the target all together as I recall. About 500 yds is that make or break point.

Anyway. it looks likes the Amax's and they should work well for what he's doing.

I have a 6.5x55 with a 9 twist Shilen #4 contour barrel that shoots 140g Berger VLD's in the .3's and .4's with boring consistency. It does so fast or slow. I have shot it down to around 980 ft ASL @ 40 degrees F. I have shot it out to 600 yards with no loss of stability or accuracy. It just slightly outshoots my 6.5-284 with an 8 twist Krieger.

You can run formulas and calculators all day long, but they will only get you in the ballpark. As previously mentioned, the only way to truly know if a bullet will work in your rifle is to try it.

You can run formulas and calculators all day long, but they will only get you in the ballpark. As previously mentioned, the only way to truly know if a bullet will work in your rifle is to try it.

No.

If the Miller twist rule predicts a Sg below 1.2 for a monometal or a jacketed lead bullet, the results are not going to be good unless an error was made measuring the twist rate, bullet length, or atmospheric conditions. We've confirmed the Sg predicted by the Miller twist rule is within 5% for a number of different bullets. We've also confirmed (repeatedly) the results reported by Sierra and Litz that you get some weird BC effects below Sg = 1.25. For Sg between 1.0 and 1.25, you will usually not see tumbling, and you may see decent accuracy, but you will see large shot to shot variations in BC as well as reduced BC, neither of which is conducive to long range accuracy. See: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1309/1309.5039.pdf

The 140 VLD works well enough at 980 ft and 40 deg F because the Miller Twist Rule predicts Sg of 1.22. From the bullet construction, I'd estimate the Twist Rule is a tad low for this bullet (due to the open tip), so I'd say the actual Sg is closer to 1.27. This is an acceptable Sg for precision use, but you might hit trouble at sea level on a cold, dry day. The bullet would not tumble from a high quality barrel with a 1 in 9" twist, but it would suffer from reduced BC and possibly large shot to shot variations in BC.

Various recommendations for Sg > 1.4 or Sg > 1.5 are based on uncertainties in bullet dimensions and atmospheric conditions. If you get these details right, you can be confident in the twist rule predictions within the considerations above, and only expect trouble of the predicted Sg is below 1.25 or 1.3.

I have seen a mule deer and 300 pound bear killed this year with the 120ttsx and really impressed with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.