What's do you think the best all-around cartridge...

if long range is hunting out to 300 yards the 06 hands down. If it meant 400 or more the 7rem mag or the 300 win. the little more pop they have way out there will show up on the larger animals. Cant see why id want to fuss with a willdcat or even a short mag (alothough i own one) When the 7rem mag will get it done and can be bought as an over the counter gun and ammo is over the counter even at wallmart if you dont reload.

Most of the responses are what people think or have used.

The game you list has been taken with all number of caliber+chamberings.

I've only had one shot on game so I don't think I have much weight in this discussion but

I believe that all that game has been taken with the 30-06 and 300WM with high success.

If it were me and I wanted one caliber+chambering it would be the 300WM.

i don't live in the us i'm in aus and what works here work's there so

if i could only have one rifle it would be a sendero in 7mm-300wm

because i can't afford a full custom and i like a 7mm 180 at 3200fps... gun)

if you mean a caliber that can effectively knock down north american big game at reasonable range and still be able to buy ammo for it in any corner store or gas station the choice is 3006.
But as far as I am concerned 7mm rm. It out shoots the 06 and still is reasonably comfortable to shoot. The down side is a corner store or country gas station will not have any ammo in stock if you need it. So, carry more than you need I usually take double what I need when I go deer hunting (2 rounds).:D

The best all around cartridge is the one that is the most accurate and kills the most cleanly in the rifle or pistol I happen to be shooting at the time.............:)

It may no longer be the best but if I could have only one big game rifle I d keep my old 308 Norma Mag . It handles my reloaded 165 and 180 grain bullets very well with all the ft/lb of bullet energy needed at the distances I have shot big game.

A lot of great ideas/ suggestions. Just to be different I'd go with the 6.5mm SAUM. Fast, light recoil, and deadly accurate. A fun gun at the range, yet still enough power to reach out and kill at long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.