What do you think????

cavtrooper94

What do you guys think is best for deer through Alaskan game, 280 AI or 6.5-284. This is for my Encore. I know alot of you don't like them but I think it's fun to play with, and its light. Right now I have a 7 Rem Mag barrel for my big game barrel but IMHO the Magnum cartridges are just a bit much for the Encore. I still need range and power but without the brutal recoil.

Thanks Much

IMO, the 280AI is the better because it will shoot the heavier bullets. Mine will shoot the 160 gr Accubond at 3000 fps+. That is right up under the 7 mag so the only reduction in recoil you will get will be because the 280AI does it with ~6 grs less of powder.

The 6.5x284 can be a formidable hunting load when loaded with 140 gr bullets which have a sectional density of .287 which is a little more than the 280AI 160 gr bullets which is .283. You will need to get the 6.5x284 in a medium or long action in order to take advantage of those long 6.5 bullets.

I have a 6.5 that will push the 140 gr bullets to 3100 fps but the caliber is 6.5 rem mag and not the 6.5x284. If I am going hunting for anything larger than Whitetail then IMO there is no contest, I grab the 280AI. The 280AI is extremely easy to reload for as is the 6.5 rem mag. I do not know about the 6.5x284. I wish there was only one 6.5x284, it would make it easier to not get confused and make a mistake.

I have hunted alaska for nearly 30 years. In my opinion the 280AI would be a very good choice. The 280 AI, 7mm JRS and 7mm gibbs will all shoot right at 7mm rem mag velocities with less powder and kick. I have all three of those and prefer them to the 7mm rem mag. If you are accustomed to shooting the 7mm rem mag you will love the 280 AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.