what do you think?

mrbb

what do you think is the best 30 cal hunting bullet, brand, size and why?
for a 300 rem ultra mag, for whitetail deer out to 1,000 yards?
I have been using a 180 grain nosler ballistic tip, with very good luck, with kills out to 1080 yards, but wondering what everyone else might think!! I am sure there are better, and the answer, may just be what your guns shoot best, but how about some opinions

If it's been working for you I'd stick with it.

There are probably better bullets but what you have seems to be top of the market for your use.

Be careful of what Kirby Allen calls "tinkeritus". Withdrawal is pretty hard. And I should know as I'm a recovering tinkeritusaholic.:rolleyes:

I didn't plan on switching, just seeing what others have had luck with!
I like to stick with things that work, keeps it simply this way!

As has been said, if it works.... But to answer your question, I think the 200 gr Accubond and the .300 RUM at 3200 fps or so, was made to be. My longest kill was 686 yards on an antelope. mtmuley

I shoot a 300 wsm, and am not overly experienced in long range hunting, but I know my way around a balistics table and testing results. I shoot a 180 AB because I plan on shooting anyware from 30 -800 yards. The AB should give good performance at close range and will give you good balistics out to extreme ranges. In your RUM, you have more velocity and a longer action so I think a 200 AB would be an excellent choice if you intend to shoot close range too. Realistically however, a 240 gr SMK will do well on white tail at any range since they are fairly easy to kill. I would go for the heaviest bullets like the SMK if you strictly intend on white tail hunting and mostly intend on long range shots. If you want to shoot heavier game, then stick to the bonded bullets. All this is the opinion of a relitively inexperienced enthosiest of long range hunting of course.

I have been shooting my 300 RUM with 180 grain accubonds for a long time, but am currently working on 200 grain accubonds and 208 A-Max, which I believe should have better long range performance due to the higher weight and BC - we'll see! Although, I have not had any issues with the 180 AB's, I find testing new loads during my range sessions keeps things interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.