Do it all Bullet for 30-06?

165 ballistic tip for deer/hogs and 165 Accubond for elk. Both will most likely shoot to the same point of impact or so close you will not need to worry.

That's what I suggest. Except I'd go 180. Just because the elk. The BT and AB have the same profile and BC and I would think they'd be Interchangable with same grouping and poi

RT2506, thanks thats just what I was thinking. Any experience with the 165 BTs on deer? I had read that the 165s were slow killers on medium deer than on deer above 200lbs and frankly it kept from trying them. Recent research here and elsewhere looks better!

4064 is the last powder i picked up for the 06, havent tried it yet tho. I just got a chronograph for my birthday this summer so now, load my development has gotten much more precision to it. Looking to reach 2900 with 165s and have not yet got there, although pretty close. So far ive used H4350 and H Superformance in this caliber.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I do have a matched load to the 150 GSlams shooting a Speer BTSP and it hits same place at zero range with same muzzle velocity.

Shootnmathews I dont worry too much about lead fragments, just trim away any suspect meat, but I havent yet shot any bullets that just come apart tho.

Those Bergers looks sleek!

If going the BT/AB route why not just hunt the ABs all around and plink the BTs?

Thats what I was implying. The BT is actually a great bullet for deer sized and smaller game. I use a LOT of Nosler BT bullets. Accubond for elk and bear. bT for everything smaller in my book.

As to the "slow killing bullets" the answer is bullet placement. When it really comes down to REAL eatable meat there is not much on a deers front shoulders. If you place a 165 BT in the center to top 1/3rd of a deers shoulder it usually will be BANG FLOP. I helped do crop damage control on a huge farm in NC for 15 years where my buddy and I took 100 deer a year. We shot them with about everything from a stick to a 45-70. Deer game constructed Ballistic Tips kill game really well if you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. The 165 BT will expand more rapidly and shed more weight in the average deer than the AB. Don't get me wrong the AB is a great bullet with the best of both the BT and Partition. It flies great and is accurate and starts to open up like the BT but it holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking through things. The ballistic tips are quite a bit cheaper than the accubonds though. If you ever decide to go with different loads for deer and elk give the 125 ballistic tip a try for deer and keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. I have gone exclusively to this in all my 30 cal stuff. It kills deer awesomely, BANG FLOP. On a side note you mentioned the Speer 150 GS. The only GS I ever used was on deer out of a 25-06. It was a very accurate bullet and man would it penetrate. If I ever had to use a 25-06 for elk it would be loaded with this bullet. It was too toughly constructed for my liking for deer. I only recovered one bullet out of 20+. It was from a buck shot at only about 30 yards that was facing me. Shot it in the chest with muzzle velocity of 3000 fps and recovered it just under the hide in a ham after smashing through the ball joint. Started out at 120 grs recovered weight was 87 grs with text book mushroom. Buck fell on his butt and fell over on his side and kicked once and was dead. :D Just some food for thought. Good luck and good hunting.

I've hunted most of my life with a 30-06 Rem.700BDL, Rem.760 Pump and the last 15 years a Browning A Bolt. Killed plenty of deer a few black bear and a few wild boar.All shot with 165 gr. Sierra Game King bullets and none ever got away, most where bang flop. Most shots where within 100 yards one deer was 278 paces the other side of a field and that was my farthest shot. I know there is better constructed bullets but for the price and the fact the Sierras are proven to me, why change. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.