One rifle to do it all?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Timnterra, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

I’m having another kid this year and I’ve sold a bunch of my rifles which has got me thinking of continuing to sell others to simplify my life. I like the idea of having one rifle to do everything. I think it will be a switch barrel rig, but maybe not. If you could build the ultimate do everything long range hunting rifle what caliber and components would you choose? I don’t plan to ever hunt brown bear or African dangerous game so I don’t think I’ll ever need anything larger than .30 caliber. I do enjoy shooting steel at long distances and hunting everything from prairie dogs to hopefully mooose some day. What would you choose?

2. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

Maybe mention a budget and weight of the rifle you'd like. Also does your budget include the glass for the rifle. It would help narrow your responses.

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I have a few .30 cals and bigger but the .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Have a 26" or longer with 1:9" or faster and load it with 215/230 Berger and you're golden. Or 26" or longer with 1:8" or faster and load Hammer Bullets 227 grainers.

For non-belted, the .30 Nosler might be another consideration.

gohring3006 and martinakl like this.
  4. Tidus56

Please tell me you shoot prairie dogs with a 300 win! That would be epic! 110 grain v max out of a 300 win would be a sight to see. The OP lists prairie dog to moose.

Slam-O and blackaj like this.
  5. Timnterra

I don’t have a budget, if I sell the rest of my rifles the sky is the limit. It will be a “do everything” rifle so it needs to be no more than 14lbs dressed to hunt; less would be better, but I don’t need an ultralight setup. However, I have never had a carbon wrapped barrel but i am seriously looking at Proof research which would cut down on weight a little. I have glass, I’m really just asking what caliber would you choose to do everything.

6. Timnterra

I’ve shot prairie dogs with a 338 lapua. It’s fun Though Not as spectacular as a 6mm Remington with a 60gr bullet.

7. Timnterra

I can never quite get away from the 300 Win mag... it is very well rounded.
    I built a 30 Nosler a couple years back and it was a real shooter, but the performance was no better than my 300 Win mag. And the brass is ridiculous! It’s more expensive than lapua 338 Brass.

FEENIX likes this.
  8. Tidus56

Okay, I thought you wanted all the details. As for a do it all cartridge. I think I would choose one of the 6.5 or 7mm offerings. I personally own a couple 6.5s and enjoy both. I have a Creedmoor and a 6.5x284. I wouldn’t mind shooting either at prairie dogs all the way up to elk. I also love my 280 Ackley as it works across all game without being super overkill like my 28 Nosler would be for prairie dogs. I think there will be many opinions you’ll receive but if I trying to make just one cartridge work across the board I would go 280 Ackley. Good luck and a prairie dog with a 338 Lapua...you’re truly a gangsta. Lol

Slam-O, Timnterra and blackaj like this.
  9. Tidus56

I shoot my prairie dogs with a 243 AI and 75 grain Max Bullets it’s awesome.

blackaj likes this.
  10. blackaj

blackaj Well-Known Member

Prairie dogs to moose would be best with two rifles.
    I would recommend a 6mm with a fast twist barrel. shooting high bc 115 grain bullets would be great for long range varmints and steel.
    For everything else a hot rod 7mm is perfect, high bc 180 or 195 grain bullets are incredible at long range.
    I would look into a 28 nosler, 7wsm, or 280ai.
    I like your logic, just having one or two rifles will give you the opportunity to dial them in and get really proficient.

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. 110 VMax at 3800 FPS on prairie dogs/gophers might be interesting. Might have to try that on one of my .300 WM before re-barreling.:D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Tidus56 likes this.
  12. blackaj

blackaj Well-Known Member

hah you posted while I was writing, pretty much negates what I just said. Great advice man

13. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. 110 VMax at 3800 FPS on prairie dogs/gophers might be interesting. Might have to try that on one of my .300 WM before re-barreling.:D

OOPS, sorry for the duplicate post.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Tidus56 likes this.
  14. Tidus56

Funny enough, I was about to say I like you opinion better.