Do all Bullet for 30-06 AI?

Great rifle. Excellent scope. Makes for some fun ... try different vendors and bullets until you ID the "right" one. Even If your reloading.. I'd still do that. But what is the target? there in lies the rub

Last edited:
180 accubond can produce 2800fps in a regular 06, expands well on deer and antelope but holds together well and drives deep for elk out to 600yds

look no farther...180 accubond is the DO-ALL 30-06 bullet an ai would be only better

in all my 06's they shoot the same as 180 Ballistic tips which have the exact same BC so you can shoot them interchangeable. Depending on how much your son likes to burn ammo the Ballistic tip is a inexpensive way to keep shooting while saving the Accubonds for your important hunts.

I like the Hammers too but cant afford to send a bunch of those off to college ...LOL
James
I also love these bullets in my '06. I use BT's for whitetail where shots are going to be 300 and in, and AB if I ever need it for an elk gun. I have a 280AI I can use for longer range deer work and a 30N for elk. All the guns can really take both species if needed.

Last edited:
You have never tried hammer have you?
I used to shoot Barnes. I can't tell you they are not in the same ballpark especially when it comes to internal damage. Mainly because they rely on more speed for the damage the hammer have the same speed but a much better construction of the bullet. Softer material so more expansion inside from the front tip.
You should do yourself a solid and give even a sample box a try. You will soon give away the Barnes to a friend in need.

No I haven't tried the Hammer bullets, I keep saying that I am going to however been really satisfied with the Barnes. Most of the shooting that I do while hunting is within 50-60 yards, the terminal ballistics are incredible. I will break down and pick some Hammers up and try them. In the attachments below the first photo was from a Barnes 225gt TSX from a 35 Whelen, the second photo is the entry hole using the same Barnes 225 TSX out of the Whelen and the last photo is this past year's bear, Barnes 300gr flat-based TSX out of the 45-70. All of those bear ranged from 170-235lbs.

Attachments

• Bear1 2018.JPG
    Bear1 2018.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Its time to work on my son's rifle- a left hand Tikka with a 20" Proof. It is currently at the gunsmith getting the barrel installed and chambered in 30-06 AI. This is his "only" rifle since he shoots left and all my rifles are righthand. (doesn't stop him from using them 😄 ) But he will be off to College in Idaho and will be taking just this one for hunting; antelope- deer, elk. He is a great shot, recording kills out to 600 yds with my 7 saum, and 300 wsm.

So what bullet, loads do you like? I know it will be up to what's available for the next while! but I got time to work on finding components!
For deer, I like 165 grain Hornady boat tails. For elk, bear or moose, I prefer a 180 grain bullet with a bonded core for controlled expansion. I have never seen a need for anything heavier. I'm also a fan of two IMR powders, 4895 and 4350. Neither are temperature sensitive and both have always given me excellent accuracy

No I haven't tried the Hammer bullets, I keep saying that I am going to however been really satisfied with the Barnes. Most of the shooting that I do while hunting is within 50-60 yards, the terminal ballistics are incredible. I will break down and pick some Hammers up and try them. In the attachments below the first photo was from a Barnes 225gt TSX from a 35 Whelen, the second photo is the entry hole using the same Barnes 225 TSX out of the Whelen and the last photo is this past year's bear, Barnes 300gr flat-based TSX out of the 45-70. All of those bear ranged from 170-235lbs.
You will find the same thing I did I'm sure near or far the hammers work better. Last thing that I had shooting Barnes was my uncles .358 norma and they worked great but then tried the hammers and even he was shocked at how good they have worked

Its time to work on my son's rifle- a left hand Tikka with a 20" Proof. It is currently at the gunsmith getting the barrel installed and chambered in 30-06 AI. This is his "only" rifle since he shoots left and all my rifles are righthand. (doesn't stop him from using them 😄 ) But he will be off to College in Idaho and will be taking just this one for hunting; antelope- deer, elk. He is a great shot, recording kills out to 600 yds with my 7 saum, and 300 wsm.

So what bullet, loads do you like? I know it will be up to what's available for the next while! but I got time to work on finding components!
How far is he shooting taking animals ?

How far is he shooting taking animals ?
He has a great track record on animals out to 580 yds. for shots over 400 he has killed a Mt. Goat, Dall Sheep, Caribou, Black Bear. So far all the elk have been closer. He is also a great bowhunter. So this setup will need to have energy for an elk to that range. Here is a shot he made on a black bear last year with my 7 saum

He has a great track record on animals out to 580 yds. So this setup will need to have energy for an elk to that range. Here is a shot he made on a black bear last year with my 7 saum

I would run the 124 HH with H100V or Staball, I know everyone thinks it's way to light but we have done extensive tests with this bullet and IMO it is the go to 30 bullet for 600 yards and providing you are pushing it as it was designed to be used

The Terminal Ascent has caught my eye. Very high BC - typically lighter (ie, faster) without giving up down range velocity due to lower BC. Great results on game are being reported from the field. Accubond is the Benchmark against what all are compared too, in my opinion.

I would run the 124 HH with H100V or Staball, I know everyone thinks it's way to light but we have done extensive tests with this bullet and IMO it is the go to 30 bullet for 600 yards and providing you are pushing it as it was designed to be used
I do have some to test- the problem will be finding the right powder!!! you mentioned H 100V or Staball- which I don't have. I do have some H4831 which is slower, or some RL17,16 and H4350 which is a bit faster. Which one of those would you try with the 30 cal 124 HH?

On a side note I think I was the first one to get those .308 124 HH a couple years ago! I have a Barret FC in .308 win and wanted a light fast low recoil bullet for it so I called Steve Davis said he would make them up. He tested them out and sent me the first box.

I do have some to test- the problem will be finding the right powder!!! you mentioned H 100V or Staball- which I don't have. I do have some H4831 which is slower, or some RL17,16 and H4350 which is a bit faster. Which one of those would you try with the 30 cal 124 HH?

On a side note I think I was the first one to get those .308 124 HH a couple years ago! I have a Barret FC in .308 win and wanted a light fast low recoil bullet for it so I called Steve Davis said he would make them up. He tested them out and sent me the first box.
I think RL17 will do the trick, It will be a Laser

I have to echo the suggestions to try Berger, Nosler, Barnes. I have to add though, I have a load for a non-AI with the 180 Sierra GK/BT that piles em into .75 at 100Y all day from factory rifles with hybrid 100V (feels like your touching off a 300WM fyi). I know I'd try a box with a good custom. Stay 180 range, under that you can do same with a 308 all day and save a little powder for later.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.