One rifle to do it all?

I've decided to keep a backup/ loaner rifle and build two switch barrel rigs one long action and one short action. I'm starting with a dedicated big game hunting rifle it will have a long action and the first barrel is a proof research 300 win mag. I am thinking the second barrel will be a 280 or 6.5 Sherman. I'm going with a Manners EH2 for the stock.

The Sherman cartridges use a .473" bolt face, they don't use the magnum bolt face that the .300WM uses. So, that would make it very difficult to build a magnum and non-magnum cartridge in the same shared action.

That being said, you could build 2 long actions, one in a Sherman cartridge that uses the .473" (standard) bolt face, and then share it with all the short-action cartridges that use the same .308/.30-06 .473" bolt face. And you can build the other in a magnum long action, that is also a switch-barrel, that allows you to build any of the belted magnums you want on it.

Get a rifle that is very easy to exchange barrels or buy 2 rifles with different rifle twists that can handle a 110gr 30-06 to the 220 grains. With the modern bullet designs this is the only caliber you need.

morning, 340wbee on rem action, 260AI for varmints and deer and
a good shotgun for wing and coyote hunting. justme gbot tum

I've decided to keep a backup/ loaner rifle and build two switch barrel rigs one long action and one short action. I'm starting with a dedicated big game hunting rifle it will have a long action and the first barrel is a proof research 300 win mag. I am thinking the second barrel will be a 280 or 6.5 Sherman. I'm going with a
Manners EH2 for the stock.

Just build it on any of the actions that you can swap the boltface like a Bighorn or mausingfeild. It takes less than a minute to swap the boltface so you can do magnums, standard or 223.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.