The cheap gun that shoots anything

Oldschool280

Figured i'd share this with you all. I have a remington 710 in 243 that was given to me for helping a buddy. I actually didnt even want it as it looks and feels like a total heap. But didnt want to make the guy feel crumby. I brought it home and there it sat until my youngest was ready for some rAnge time. I put a 40 year old bushnell scope on it , bore-sighted it with the bolt out the old fashioned way and headed to the range. Having no ammo on hand I ritualistically asked for anything loaded with sierra's, figuring we needed all the help we could get. We set up at the range and i ran the target out to 25 yards, gun was about three inches high and four left. Made the corrections and sent it to 50 yards. Three shots = bughole. Holy cow. I let lil ted loose with it and he too was shooting like a champ. Roll it out to 100 yards guess what? More bugholes.
Having the brass now, i loaded up some 85 game kings, it did the same, 75 sierra's the same, 70 varmegeddons? The same. Using different powders and all, the thing shoots. Naturally the point of impact move's a little but not much. What the hell? Why is the cheapest ugliest gun that i have rival the best stuff i have? Everybody that shoots it wants it. My buddy asked to buy it today. He hasnt shot in five years, i threw together forty rounds with necked down 308 hornady brass and just used the powder thrower and it shot fantastic. Never judge a book by its cover! It now is allowed in the safe and not relegated to the corner behind the furnace. I might actually hunt with it! Have a 710?

Blasphemy!!
Most of these "new technology" rifles shoot better than the old school stuff IMO. Had a gunsmith tell me the same.... Said why bother with a custom if a **** Ruger American can shoot half MOA out the box!!

There is the old saying I have heard all my life. "Even a blind hog can root up an acorn now and then". You probably got the one in a million. I once got a Rem. stainless with the Tupperware stock on it in 7mm Rem. Mag that shot like that. Did not matter the bullet you could about fill the case with Accurate 3100 and it would bug hole as long as the case had been fired before and you just part sized (neck size with a FL die) the case. My problem I had with that rifle was for some reason no matter the bullet used unless you shoulder shot a deer hitting the spine deer would run off a good ways and where I was hunting if they got out of the fields it was swamp and jungle so thick you had to step on a deer to find it. Traded that rifle off for one just like it in 25-06 and got lucky again. It shot everything I put in it also and probably 99% of the time when I shot a deer with it they were laying right where they had been standing. Bang flop.

Blasphemy!!
Most of these "new technology" rifles shoot better than the old school stuff IMO. Had a gunsmith tell me the same.... Said why bother with a custom if a *Rule 4 Violation* Ruger American can shoot half MOA out the box!!
They do, its no joke, but I get what you are saying.

Blasphemy!!
Most of these "new technology" rifles shoot better than the old school stuff IMO. Had a gunsmith tell me the same.... Said why bother with a custom if a *Rule 4 Violation* Ruger American can shoot half MOA out the box!!
Its not a popular opinion on this site, but you don't have to spend a lot anymore, or even use handloads with all the premium factory ammo out there. Its pretty easy to buy a 1/2 moa gun on the cheap.

Its not a popular opinion on this site, but you don't have to spend a lot anymore, or even use handloads with all the premium factory ammo out there. Its pretty easy to buy a 1/2 moa gun on the cheap.
I agree also. The factory ammo at this time in our lives is by far the best in history. And the quality, and accuracy of some of the entry level guns is nearly as good as what you had to spend megabucks on, to get that performance. Hornady, for instsnce, but not just them, has had to step up to the plate, and put out something that shoots. Ten years ago, they were junk!
Some is so good, don't need to reload!

I agree also. The factory ammo at this time in our lives is by far the best in history. And the quality, and accuracy of some of the entry level guns is nearly as good as what you had to spend megabucks on, to get that performance. Hornady, for instsnce, but not just them, has had to step up to the plate, and put out something that shoots. Ten years ago, they were junk!
Some is so good, don't need to reload!
I've got 3 guns that shoot the hornady match ammo into 1/2 moa groups consistently. I don't reload for those guns. Could I spend a bunch of time on the bench developing a quarter moa load for these guns? Sure, maybe...but I would rather spend more time shooting and hunting.

I've got 3 guns that shoot the hornady match ammo into 1/2 moa groups consistently. I don't reload for those guns. Could I spend a bunch of time on the bench developing a quarter moa load for these guns? Sure, maybe...but I would rather spend more time shooting and hunting.
I have a recently acquired 300 wsm, that shoots Hornady American Whitetail, 165 grain interlocks into a knot. Also have a 6.5 creed, that shoots same brand, 129 grain interlock, so good, don't even bother to load for it. I'm talking 1/2 min groups, all day, and hammers deer! Duh!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.