Cheap Truck Gun set ups

sixfivefanboy

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

Budget would be helpful.

Budget would be helpful.
Hmmmm...idk if I have a budget, just like it as inexpensive as possible - so if it gets stolen or beat up riding around behind the seat, it won't wreck my world. Lol

if I could be into rifle and optics for $500-$600 I would be happy. Less is better - those TC compasses are going for $249 online. I would rather have a grendel for some reason, which limits my option in bolt action rifles.

Hmmmm...idk if I have a budget, just like it as inexpensive as possible - so if it gets stolen or beat up riding around behind the seat, it won't wreck my world. Lol

if I could be into rifle and optics for $500-$600 I would be happy. Less is better - those TC compasses are going for $249 online. I would rather have a grendel for some reason, which limits my option in bolt action rifles.

Good, much better. So your basically looking at $350 in optics. I have the TCA in 6.5 CM that I am getting 1/2 MOA with factory ammo at 200 yards. It is topped 4.5-14 Minox that I purchased LNIB for $200 IIRC.

Checkout the thread "I got my first 6.5 CM for $20."

Last edited:
I have read some really good things about the TC compass - threaded barrel, sub moa accuracy, for only 249 is tough to beat. I would go with one of those and then throw a used nikon monarch scope on it. Those can be had for a couple hundred bucks, maybe less since they flip flopped on their unconditional lifetime warranties recently. Total set up should be less than $500

TC Compass and Ruger American Predator are great rifles at twice the asking price and a good size for a truck rifle. Add the MCarbo spring kit and if you're feeling really fancy, a Boyds stock and these cheap little rifles will embarrass some several thousand $$ customs with their accuracy.

I thought I read somewhere that the bolt on the ruger american has a tendency to open when slung over a shoulder - anybody heard that?

I have read some really good things about the TC compass - threaded barrel, sub moa accuracy, for only 249 is tough to beat. I would go with one of those and then throw a used nikon monarch scope on it. Those can be had for a couple hundred bucks, maybe less since they flip flopped on their unconditional lifetime warranties recently. Total set up should be less than $500

Yep! >>> https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/firearms/combos/155

... and when in stock, you can get them for under $400 >>> https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128524

Last edited:
TC Compass and Ruger American Predator are great rifles at twice the asking price and a good size for a truck rifle. Add the MCarbo spring kit and if you're feeling really fancy, a Boyds stock and these cheap little rifles will embarrass some several thousand $$ customs with their accuracy.
I have a RARR in 5.56. I put into a Boyd's stock and bedded it. It is a fantastic shooter. I shoot it out to 500 meters on steel and can hit some small targets without difficulty. 1:8 twist stabilizes 77grain SMK 75 grain AMAX/ELDX, on down. 16-inch barrel is nice and compact. Rifle was $300.

I have the thompson compass and I have been impressed. I'm getting consistent .6" group using factory ammo with the gun . I did have to install the Mcarbo trigger kit ($25). Admittedly when I first purchased I had buyer's remorse wishing I had applied the money towards a more premium gun. But every time I shoot I smile ...one of the cheapest yet best shooting guns I own

20191017_141145.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.