truck gun; 6.5 grendel vs. 243win

vendetta333

both in 20" barrels.
desired bullets: .243 85gr. sierra gameking bthp, 6.5 100gr. Nos bt's
uses: truck gun i.e. whatever your definition for that is, is what i want your opinion/post to be based on
go. lol thanx for all thoughts/opinions/info!

both in 20" barrels.
desired bullets: .243 85gr. sierra gameking bthp, 6.5 100gr. Nos bt's
uses: truck gun i.e. whatever your definition for that is, is what i want your opinion/post to be based on go. lol thanx for all thoughts/opinions/info!

A 243 or 6.5 Grendel is a decent coyote gun, but I wouldn't use less than a 50 BMG as a truck gun.

I have the feeling the .243 is going to give you better velocity, but other than that it's really up to you. They will essentially do the same thing. Looks like the BC is higher on the 6.5, but you will be able to push the .243 to 3300+ fps compared to the 2750fps of the Grendal.

The .243 win is shot in a AR10 platform and cost waaaaayyyyyy more than a Grendel which is shot from an AR15 platform. The AR10 platform is heavier, more expensive and there are less factory parts available. Other than that, if you have the money it's a good platform. But, if you're gonna pay for it why not just go with a .308??

As for a Grendel. I have one and I love it. It shoots very flat and stays supersonic to 1200 yards. It fits into the AR15 platform and only takes a barrel, bolt and magazine change to convert a 5.56/.223 into a Grendel. It shoots better than the 6.8 out past 350 yards. I'm actaully considering building a 6.5 Grendel on a Remington 700 SA to use for varmint and coyote.

People are taking deer and elk with the Grendel, so I'm positive it will do just fine for coyote. I just haven't had a chance to try mine out yet.

You can find tons of good info about the Grendel on the site ..........

www.65grendel.com/forum/

we came upon a fallin tree across a road one time in Sascatchewan and the guy i was with grabbed his "truck gun" which was a model 94 win i think in 32 special. he stuck the barrel in the ground under the log and used it as a pry bar to lift it enough that the rest of us could get ahold of it enough to move it. then he tossed it, and i mean tossed, the gun back in the bed of the truck. he said the guns been in the back of the truck for close to ten years, never takes it out. based on how i saw a truck gun used, i would say go with the 243 because theoretically, it should have more wall thickness in the barrel and will be better suited for prying logs off the road!

I think the 6.5 grendel would be inherently more accurate.... I have not owned a 243 for many years but my current Alexander Arms upper in 6.5 Grendel on a AR platform is an absolute tack driver. I get about 3,200 fps with the 85gr Sierra HP's and they shoot .5MOA all day long. It's the perfect coyote hunting rifle!!

I would think that for a truck gun a bolt action may be more appropriate and this might steer you to a 243 or a 260 remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.