Cheap Truck Gun set ups

I'd pick up a used Savage in whatever flavor floats your boat. When, or if, you get tired of it just screw on a new tube.
For optics, truck guns need something durable and cheap which rules out pretty much every variable power scope out there.
I'd look for an old Lyman or Leupold 4x or 6X fixed power. That way, you'll have a hammer if you need to fix some fence while you're out tooling around. You can't hardly hurt them, so they are the perfect scopes for banging around behind the seat.

I would say you are spot on with the howa mini. Top it with a Nikon 2.5-10 prostaff runs about $189 at cabelas. And you have a great round.
I had one done last year. Had a howa mini 6.5 Grendel. Had twisted cut down the barrel and flute bolt and barrel. Topped with swfa ultra light. It quickly became one of my favorite rifles and was intended to be more what you are looking for.
The Nikon is a great scope for the money I have a few on 300blk and 350 legend ar's and have had no issues for many years.

This is my truck gun now. 16.5" 6.5 creed. Very handy.
B99AFD11-4C5F-4A1E-A480-400578BE26E4.jpeg
A376E5D6-0138-42C2-8343-3E6F92E156EC.jpeg

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.
Where are you hunting

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.
Use the KISS formula. Truck gun means it will rattle around under the seat? If so open sights. If your goingnto jump out and shoot,yotes or badgers use a .223 with iron sights (spend a lot of time at he range) or protect the gun and put a 200 dollar scope on it. A savage in 223 is inexpensive, accurate, cheap to load. Get it with a syn stock and SS if in a humid area. There you go

30 30 lever best truck gun ever....but for more reach 300wm savage w old leupold scope can be had used for 400 most places.....

My truck gun is my absolute favorite rifle I own...because its just so **** handy. That being said, I have not been afraid to slowly upgrade it over the years. Its a Remington 700 (purchased used) with a short barrel (Bartlein) 6 creed in a Manners folder. Now, it did not start out this way. The action has had a lot of love put into it (when it was re-barreled). The trigger was upgraded. The Manners stock was purchased used, and at a great price. I have an SWFA 10x scope on it because I know I can beat the hell out of that scope with little consequence. This rifle has probably killed more critters than anything else I own, and built on something that is highly modular with lots of aftermarket upgrades. At this point, its a valuable rifle...but I can't say I've spent more on upgrades per year than I did on ammo for it.

I like the idea of a truck gun having two things, based on how it could be used (and abused - bouncing around.
1. I like a barrel that is threaded so I can put some sort of device over the muzzle to protect the crown on the sometimes hasty trips in and out from under the back seat. maybe a muzzle brake, or a $10 flash hider.
2. I like having simple fixed power scopes that have reputations for durability. Reticles that are etched versus wires are another attribute that hold up well to abuse.

The TC Compass and SWFA 10x. Would fit the bill, among others. 7mm-08 would be my choice of caliber, for what that is worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts