Cheap Truck Gun set ups

I live on a ranch --- this is not a truck gun from my point of view --- why the suppressor which by the way takes a year or so to get. I know because I use them for Tinnitus. Seems to me you may have already had your truck gun all picked out and built before your post, or you had a spare 6.5mm can laying around. In any its nice
Maybe the wrong guy? I am the OP.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

Well, if "cheap" is the keyword here, how about a cut-down Mosin Nagant 91/30 or perhaps a Mod 44 with a Brenshok no drill scout scope mount, as for scope? any cheap scout scope would work'..., say something like a Bushnell trophy scout rifle scope with Multi-X reticle, 2-7 x 36mm I mean sometimes those Mosin Nagant can surprise you. It's cheap and as tough as a pre War 2 chisel and properly set up right can hammer game out to 400 to 500 yards regularly. It's cheap to shoot (practice) and it has some good hunting loads, I load (7.62x54R) for my Finnish VKT M39 copy of the Nagan 91/30 and it's a tack driver with match hand loads. Just a thought... good luck.

I have a issue with people not getting prosecuted to fullest extent of law for gun theft or theft in general. For some of us having a gun in the truck is necessary and part of every day life.
I totally agree on prosecuting them to the fullest, but unfortunately I have seen our prosecuting attorneys throw the gun charges off to get them to take a plea. Truly sad.

Corey

As luck would have it everything arrived today - rifle, scope rings etc. Not a bad set up for $600. Compact, lightweight. I went and bought 3 boxes of hornady black ammo, hopefully this little 6.5 grendel likes it:). Thanks for all your input!!
C7DBC587-23D4-4478-8B99-467159F73643.jpeg

I really like the Howa 1500 Mini's. Except for their mag catch. Too easy to snag on something & drop the mag, I've done it several times just in my shop. Been thinking to make one that is flush to the DIP Bottom Metal that uses a pointed bullet or similar to release the mag.

I really like the Howa 1500 Mini's. Except for their mag catch. Too easy to snag on something & drop the mag, I've done it several times just in my shop. Been thinking to make one that is flush to the DIP Bottom Metal that uses a pointed bullet or similar to release the mag.
Haha - I agree. I read about that while I was doing my research, so I went into it with eyes wide open.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good! To me a truck gun eats commercial ammo. I'll give up some POI consistency for ease of use. Maybe try some different stuff to see if it shows a preference?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.