What is the the most flat shooting cartridge yall can think of?

Some of the DBM's I use definitely work good without a belt.
That's likely the largest benefit of not having one that I've seen.
Running 7RM and 300WM with BDL's for decades I never knew belted cases were an issue, until I started reading about it.😆
"Long" brass is a great improvement it would seem. Never tried it though.
But I'd take a shorter more girthy case over a long and slender any day.
Especially when there isn't a capacity loss, and the shoulder angle is 40*
Feenix I'm going to get this 72gr .257 SS case going first, then maybe the 76-77gr Max to compare numbers with King Weatherby. See how far behind I am.
Got a feeling Justice 1327 and/or Duckman might beat me to a 25 Mega…maybe you can help me goose them a little hahahahah!

Some of the DBM's I use definitely work good without a belt.
That's likely the largest benefit of not having one that I've seen.
Running 7RM and 300WM with BDL's for decades I never knew belted cases were an issue, until I started reading about it.😆
I have been reloading belt cartridges for over 4 decades without any issues. I have had a Larry Willis collet die for years, but I have yet to find the need to use it. I currently load .264 WM, (3) .300 WM, and .30 LARA, previously 7MM RM and 7MM STW.
Feenix I'm going to get this 72gr .257 SS case going first, then maybe the 76-77gr Max to compare numbers with King Weatherby. See how far behind I am.
Got a feeling Justice 1327 and/or Duckman might beat me to a 25 Mega…maybe you can help me goose them a little hahahahah!
I would not worry about what other people's rifles are building since we all have different preferences and intended purposes. My goal goal for having a . 257 WBY, is twofold: my first .25 cal and a WBY cartridge. As previously noted, I prefer heavy/high BC bullets.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
And a good portion of Missouri presents shots over 800
Never been there, good to know 😁. I'm in northern Saskatchewan (technically the geographical middle but north of where 90 percent of the people live) and it's got lots of trees but still ample long shot opportunities on fields and such….but in the southern prairie half of the province the ongoing joke is that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days 🤣. It's FLAT and pretty devoid of trees or topography or cover. If one had the equipment and ability to shoot there's tons of places down there where looooooooong shots are very possible.

Tons of places! The Dakotas, the southern halves of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba…the continental interior and towards the west in general, prairie land.
Exactly, however if you are shooting beyond 300-400 yards you aren't too concerned with MPBR. You are either dialing or holding over. The OPs original question was flattest shooting cartridge with the furthest MPBR on a 4" target. To accomplish that feat the projectile needs to be moving in excess of 3800 fps. Very few ELR cartridges will do that. That is why we have varmint rounds. You don't need a fast 7 or above to kill a coyote. If your goal is beyond 500 yards a 6.5 caliber between the 6.5X284 Norma and 6.5X300 wby would be hard to beat and you won't need more.

Last edited:
I was having a conversation with a fellow member here over "flat shooting cartridges" because I've been in search of a flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination for coyotes.

I'm currently shooting a 25-06 which gives me a MPBR on a 4" target of 298yds with a 115vld. I'm switching to an 80gr barnes ttsx to see what kind of speeds I can get and hopefully stretch that MPBR a little bit more. When this barrel goes south I will probably go back with a 25-06AI or 25sherman.

I know there are some wildcats out there that could possibly be "flat-er" and a realistic choice for coyotes and would like to hear yalls opinions.

I'm not looking to neck down a 308win to 17cal or run a 110vmax in a 300rum or anything wild like that. I'd like to keep powder consumption as low as possible. Barrel life isn't a huge concern but it like to get 800 rounds out of it.

What are yalls thoughts?
30-378 weatherby mag. 140 grn gliding metal projectile at 4100fsp. Effective range is 600 meters. This is it if you want speed, looses a bit on accuracy. Change to a 168 grn. gliding metal hollow point boattail at 3750 fps and effective rage at least for me was 1300 meters 12" target putting 5 rounds 9.63" spread.

30-378 weatherby mag. 140 grn gliding metal projectile at 4100fsp. Effective range is 600 meters. This is it if you want speed, looses a bit on accuracy. Change to a 168 grn. gliding metal hollow point boattail at 3750 fps and effective rage at least for me was 1300 meters 12" target putting 5 rounds 9.63" spread.
That's a lot more powder getting burnt than I want to use for coyotes

I was having a conversation with a fellow member here over "flat shooting cartridges" because I've been in search of a flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination for coyotes.

I'm currently shooting a 25-06 which gives me a MPBR on a 4" target of 298yds with a 115vld. I'm switching to an 80gr barnes ttsx to see what kind of speeds I can get and hopefully stretch that MPBR a little bit more. When this barrel goes south I will probably go back with a 25-06AI or 25sherman.

I know there are some wildcats out there that could possibly be "flat-er" and a realistic choice for coyotes and would like to hear yalls opinions.

I'm not looking to neck down a 308win to 17cal or run a 110vmax in a 300rum or anything wild like that. I'd like to keep powder consumption as low as possible. Barrel life isn't a huge concern but it like to get 800 rounds out of it.

What are yalls thoughts?
90gr Absolute Hammers in my 26" Ruger #1 in 25-06 over RL16 give me 3640 fps. quick calc using JBM:

1714440385670.png

Recent Posts