Cheap Truck Gun set ups

About time someone brought up the elephant in the room. 30 cal AR15 7.62x39 platform, sure its a Russian original, so what. 16" AR15 with Tula 123 hp 8M3 expanding bullet just flat out work to 250yds. Total set up costs less than 600 bucks including used $250 scope with BDC recticle and collapsible stock weights less than 6lbs. Buy 1K of ammo for $285 and plink at will and use as needed for every other drive around options.
That guy, had to bring that Russian round into it. Gotta say its a good choice, i just hate all the tuning to make that platform reliable in X39. May as well be a Blackout.

That guy, had to bring that Russian round into it. Gotta say its a good choice, i just hate all the tuning to make that platform reliable in X39. May as well be a Blackout.
My first such upper never did run right. It was cobbled together from various parts. Some rounds would go into battery, others did not. Come to find out the Ni-Bo plated bolt caused an excessively tight head-space, bolt would not close on the shortest HS gage. Bought a complete 16" upper and it has run flawlessly with C Products 10 rnd. mags in a std AR lower. Since then I built an 18" barreled upper from various parts and it too has run flawlessly with the C Products 10's. If you need more than 10 rnds in the mag then I'd suggest going to a lower that uses AK or hybrid mags. I think every AR enthusiast should build a 7.62X39 upper, they're a game changer in that platform.

So I just bought one if those Nikon M Tacticals - 3-12x42 MOA from Euro Optic on closeout. Should be perfect on this little 6.5 grendel. And I am less than $600 into the set up, which is where I wanted to be.

I built an AR in 7.62x39 use C products 5,10 and 20 round mags . It HAS A 16.5 Barrel and runs well the barrel is bored to 312 and nitride coated as the Russian rounds are a little bigger then 308 most of the time thus the Ruger mini 30's had some barrel problems at times .

TC Compass and Ruger American Predator are great rifles at twice the asking price and a good size for a truck rifle. Add the MCarbo spring kit and if you're feeling really fancy, a Boyds stock and these cheap little rifles will embarrass some several thousand $$ customs with their accuracy.

SIL bought a used Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM for under $375-ish and put a Boyd stock on it. Awesome accurate. And looks great.

I have to say I have an issue with leaving guns in vehicles As a police officer we see countless guns stolen from unlocked and locked vehicles Out state has made a law where we can be liable I believe for not securing a gun securely I think as gun owners we can do better and let guns so easily fall into criminals hands Believe me I get its in your vehicle and they committed a crime in taking it but we don't need to give the media and leftists more ammo This is just my opinion
I have a issue with people not getting prosecuted to fullest extent of law for gun theft or theft in general. For some of us having a gun in the truck is necessary and part of every day life.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

Cabelas just had a sale on those TC Compass 6.5cm's. For the price they offered, it would be hard to beat for a truck gun. The sale is over now, but they anticipate having it again before next season.

6.5x55 swede short rifle open sights, cost me $130.00 in 2004. Bought 1600 rounds from Samco Global, now out of business, for a couple hundred bucks. Gun shoots great! Inexpensive old surplus rifle and ammo.

REM 700 ADL $300-350 off the shelf, scope of your choice, or your can buy the package for under $500. I bought one in .243 for $300 and a vortex viper 3-9 x 40 1"(no longer made), for $200, both on sale at Cabela's. Camo'd the stock and found a matching sling. Cheapest gun I own by far, but one of my favorites. Very lightweight. About $600 total. However, I would be extremely upset if it got stolen. But then I'd have a reason to do it again!

This is my truck gun now. 16.5" 6.5 creed. Very handy.
View attachment 156623 View attachment 156624
I live on a ranch --- this is not a truck gun from my point of view --- why the suppressor which by the way takes a year or so to get. I know because I use them for Tinnitus. Seems to me you may have already had your truck gun all picked out and built before your post, or you had a spare 6.5mm can laying around. In any its nice

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts