anything between the 338 Edge and the 338 AM?

I am at a loss as to how this particular combination has worked out so well, and I am still amazed at what the 338LAI can do. Being a devout 50 and 20mm addict always figured a guy would be real hard pressed to be able to get bullets as far as we are with the 338LAI. The barrel life has truly surprised me as well. You are not the only 1 who has questioned this.

As for Gun Juice, the folks at Microlon who make it will not divulge what the secret formulas is, but from the heavy alcohol smell I would suspect that they have come up with some form of super lubricant that they suspend in an alcohol carrier. They claim it is NOT teflon , PTFE or moly.
You start off with a perfectly clean, or in my case unfired barrel, and after shaking the hell out of the Juice can, soak a cleaning patch and run it through the bore, let it dry for a few minutes and repeat the process. They claim 10 applications in this manner will give a complete coating of the bore. Being a tad skeptical, I then shoot 1 round, wet patch , shoot a round and wet patch several more times. This DOES give complete coverage. they claim it is a 1 time use permanent dry lubricant, again being a skeptic, after a days shooting I run a couple of wet patches through my bore to get out the carbon fouling.
Gun Juice will NOT remove copper, but does well on carbon fouling.
The secret is to coat the bore before you shoot the rifle, that way a barrier is established between the steel of the barrel and the copper jacket.
There are some interesting side effects as well. That being an increase in bullet velocity, my own experimentation has seen between 35 and 147 fps increase depending on caliber. I coated a piece of CM barrel that I polished with 320 grit paper, applied juice as directed and tossed into my hot blue tanks, while not hot and in use for a few weeks, the part that was coated had a light patina of grey the rest of the steel was badly corroded by the salts.
I do not use any other cleaning products now in my own guns.
getting the copper and carbon 100% out of a fired barrel is important as once you coat the bore with Juice, anything missed is permanently in the bore.
Glass bead blasting or temperatures over 700 F are the only ways to make the Juice go away.
The fellow who developed this was a gun person,(Bill Williams) who made some sort of 17 cal wildcat that apparently was truly hell on wheels, but was also a phenominal barrel burner, his development made it possible to get thousands of rounds of use from his 17 cal burner.
I came across this product several years ago in an article in American Gunsmith magazine dated 2000, sorry I can't find the issue #
I think if you try it you will find similar findings as I have. Then folks can question you when you claim longer barrel life than is normal

To the best of my knowledge up here in Canuckistan I am about the only stocking dealer , but in the US contact G Tech Sales in Sterling MI
586-803-0101, they can point you in the right direction for a supplier in your area.
More info is also available at 3ws.microlonproducts.com

I got some friends shooting IPSC pistol matches who use this gun juice or something similar.- they claim this same velocity increase but I didn´t know about the barrel protection.- good news.

Microlon Gun Juice the miracle potion!!

THAT would be the miracle potion!!

light bulbThis article talks about Microlon'sGun Juice in the American Gunsmith magazine. Here is the link for that article for you to view http://www.microlonproducts.com/AmericanGunsmith.pdf. Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply is one of the oldest Canada dealers with Microlon inventory, look under Dealer Locations on our site and you will find other Canadian dealers. Also Lou Russell, owner of Toronto Gun, is Microlon Products representative for Canada as far as weapons and sportsman are concerned. If you want to become a dealer please contact Lou at 705-887-3685.

G Tech Sales is the parent company of Microlon Products. Microlon Products direct line is 586-803-9393 or visit their website at www.microlonproducts.com. If you are interested in selling our other products contact [email protected]. I asked John Lovio, our in-house armor, to give you the following information on our Ultrablue lube, Black Magic Bore Cleaner and our Black powder conditioning kits. We are also including a link to our newest product UltraBlue Pro Kit
http://microlonproducts.com/~microlon/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_47&products_id=165&osCsid=fd9c319bb8de3ff7adbad7fb2feb900b Even though Alberta Tactical might not have these new Pro Kits on the shelf yet, please ask for them they should be arriving shortly.

The UltraBlue lube, which contains Microlon's resin, will improve all metal-to-metal contact in all weapons. The advantage is that it penetrates the contact surfaces. Thus reducing friction. Friction that creates heat increases wear. UltraBlue is the perfect product for metal-to-metal contact. It is a proven product for the last 40 years.

Blackpowder shooters find that our Blackpowder Conditioning kit is the # one performance product that they have ever used. Proven to improve groupings, eliminate short load syndrome, and it makes cleaning much easier. The Magic Bore cleaner is biodegradable and contains no water or ammonia. Ammonia will attack the bore and do serious damage. The three-step process that includes cleaner, gun juice and ultrablue will give you years of protection and trouble free shooting.

The Magic Bore cleaner can also be used to clean rifle, pistol and shotguns barrel. To use properly you first run a brass bore brush thru the barrel (not stainless steel brush). Then swab barrel and let is sit for 30/40 minutes. Then using a hair dryer, heat the barrel interior and swab with gun juice, let dry and re-apply. The instructions are available on our kits.

338 Edge 338 AM

Hate to barge in, but anyone got photos of these cartridges they can post?
It's all new to me in Down Under,how do you ackley a case that already has a sharp shoulder angle and minimum body taper?
I am INTRIGUED to see these RADICAL designs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MagnumManiac
gun)

Last edited:
YES there IS!! I have built and own several 338 Lapua Ackley Improved versions that spit 300 gr SMKs at 3000 fps. Also have built several 338 Edge AIs that will also do this.
I took my 338LAI to Africa last (their summer) and had no issues at all in the plus 100 degrees we encountered while on the hunt.
I have built a 408 necked to 338 but found barrel life was short, so far I have well over 1000 rnds through my 338LAI and no signs of firecracking or throat erosion yet.

WAMBO 338/416 Rigby is the same as 338 Lapua, the only difference is that the Lapua has a thicker web in brass. The 416 Rigby was initially the parent cartridge for the 338 Lapua but being designed for a lower pressure round case head seperations were high until Lapua altered the internal dimensions of the case thickening the web area.

I read through the thread. Very interesting stuff.

So what is your count currently.

At what count did you start to see cracking and breakdown of barrel, or is your barrel still pristine. And if that is the case, what is your count now?

MagnumManiac,

Here is a picture for you:

338Edge338Lapua338AllenXpress338All.jpg

Left to right: 338 Edge, 338 Lapua, 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Magnum.

The first two are nearly identical in performance, the 338 AX will add 100-125 fps to get just shy of 3000 fps. The 338 AM will conservatively 450-500 fps to the Edge/Lapua class chamberings.

Please do not read this as saying that the AM is best for your situation. Its an extremely specialized chambering. When used in its design goal and purpose, there is really nothing more potent but for those that do not need this extreme performance, in many cases, the three smaller 338 magnums are better choices.

Anyway, here is a pic for you to compare all of them.

Necro thread warning!!!

MagnumManiac,

Here is a picture for you:

338Edge338Lapua338AllenXpress338All.jpg

Left to right: 338 Edge, 338 Lapua, 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Magnum.

The first two are nearly identical in performance, the 338 AX will add 100-125 fps to get just shy of 3000 fps. The 338 AM will conservatively 450-500 fps to the Edge/Lapua class chamberings.

Please do not read this as saying that the AM is best for your situation. Its an extremely specialized chambering. When used in its design goal and purpose, there is really nothing more potent but for those that do not need this extreme performance, in many cases, the three smaller 338 magnums are better choices.

Anyway, here is a pic for you to compare all of them.

Soooooo, back to the initial question.

Is there a 338 chambering between a 338 Lapua AI/338 Edge AI and the cavernous 338 Allen Magnum (or other 338 Chey-Tac chamberings)?

Essentially and to re-state in a more results-oriented question, aside from the cavernous 338 Allen Magnum (or other 338 Chey-Tac chamberings) is there a 338 chambering that easily attains 3,100 - 3,200fps with a 300gr bullet?

The 338 Raptor fit right in the middle of the AX and AM. moves along at 3150 with out much fuss.

I agree!!! I have communicated with Kirby about his 338 Raptor and it sounds perfect. Unfortunately, he said it's pretty much on ice due to brass availability problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.