terminal performance of varmints pills

firefighter1990

Spring is on the rise and i need opinions from all you varminters out there. Im loading up my 22 hornet with either a v-max, blitzking, or varmagedon; all of which in the 40 grain weight class. Velocity will be 2800 to 3000 fps and my quarry is exclusively p-dogs and marmots in a range of 300 yrds and under. My gun is always an easy 3/4 moa gun so consistancy is no problem so my only deciding factor is raw terminal performance. Honestly i think im splitting hairs here but with that, who makes the best bullet for my given condition? Thanks to all!!!

I use a 52 grain Speer HP flat base in a 22-250 and at 400 yards and in it blows prairie dogs into 3+ pieces.gun)

The reason i went with that bullet over the v max was because of the awesome reviews on midwayusa. Have yet to try them out on a dog though.:rolleyes:

I've gotten a pretty strong liking going for the 53gr vmax out of the 22-250, wish I had a lower velocity 22 center fire.

One option you can try is to save as much of your 22lr cases as you can:rolleyes: and see if you can find somebody that can make bullets, Ive heard their pretty neat out of 22Hornet and 218 Bee

ya, thanks guys. i hv always used v-maxes since their first days on scene. in my 204 i love the 40's and in my fast twist 223 the 53 grainer. ive been hearing a lot of good about blitzkings but hvnt talked to many who use them. so for my hornet i think its gonna be hard to get past the 40 grainers. there's obviously a reason why they are and always hv been americas #1 varmint projectile. the ballistician at sierra said blitzkings have a .009" jacket where hornady has .014" but out of personal experience, sierra's lead is of a higher alloy than hdy. 6 one way, half a dozen the other right? i feel that the boat tail design of vm's will make for an easier seat in the fragile hornet hulls too.

35 grain Vmaxes are the Hornets best friend!! 300 yards may be pushing it but the Hornet will surprize ya with the results on prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.