Effect of Bullet Tipping on Terminal Performance

azsugarbear

From the outset, let's establish that there is a difference between meplat trimming and meplat tipping. The first process provides uniformity to the meplat making for a more consistent BC. Bullet tipping reduces the size of the meplat, or thickness of the jacket at the nose, as well as increasing angle at the nose. Trimming reduces the BC ever so slightly, while tipping increases BC slightly.

My question us this: Does tipping the bullet have a negative impact on the terminal performance of the bullet? Intuitively, I would think that tipping would make it more difficult for the hollow point to open up? Or perhaps just delay expansion a little longer? Did a couple of searches, but couldn't find much on changes in terminal performance.

I've read a little (very little) about that subject. One would tend to think your thought process is on the correct path. From what i've read & seen, meplat uniforming (I've been playing with one of these tools) enlarges the meplat & should enhance the quickness of the bullet's expansion as it increases the cross sectional are of of the meplat & the size of the hollow point. Pointing as your statement suggested should slow expansion as you are in essence reversing what meplat uniforming offers. I have seen some exceptional gains in Ballistic Coefficient reported after pointing certain bullets, especially the smaller ones 6mm etc.

I can't confirm or deny any of that. I've uniformed about 100 of my 300 SMK's just for giggles. They look great! Will they behave differently? Don't know yet but my initial shooting at 1100 yards (20-30 rounds) hasn't shown a noticable loss in BC. More testing will have to be conducted to very of course.

t

I just posted on this subject earlier tonight and didn't see this until now. I think you would be interested in the pics that I included. (long range bullet minimum expansion).....Rich

elkaholic,

Great post. Confirms what I have been reading over the years about min. velocity. Did the Berger 215 have a trimmed meplat? What were your findings on min. expansion velocities for trimmed vs. std. factory meplat?

Rich, that was an informative read. Thanks for taking the time to do that. The SRX looks impressive to say the least. That test would be fun using the 300SMK uniformed & un-uniformed as well....

elkaholic,

Great post. Confirms what I have been reading over the years about min. velocity. Did the Berger 215 have a trimmed meplat? What were your findings on min. expansion velocities for trimmed vs. std. factory meplat?

Those were stock bullets. I have done testing with the meplat drilled out with a .040" and .055" drill bit which will aid expansion. I need to follow up with some silicon in the tip but the Hybrid has a very large cavity and I'm not sure if it will work or not?.....Rich

What does the silicon do?

It acts hydraulically to expand more consistently. If the hollow point gets clogged with hair, for example, expansion is delayed or even stopped. Check my post on the long range bullet expansion. There is some further info.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.