TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

6UM?

I'm going the opposite direction. 300 Norma improved, but with a target bullet.

Let's just hope there's at least a little edible meat left for me to pack out.
No, I think the 6um is way too much work for the gain. If I do a fast 6 it will be a 6PRC. Probably just going to use 6 Creed honestly. My wife has been shooting one the last few seasons and I have been more then impressed on it's ability on game.

I do not have the luxury of waiting on a perfect broadside, or even having open terrain to shoot across 90% of the time here on the MS River.
I prefer to take out the front running gear when possible. Cutover, vines, saplings etc.
In general I'd rather use stronger cup and core bullets around 3000MV. Dad uses TTSX at speeds much faster and has spectacular results, consistently.
BUT this year I tested the Berger 153.5 LRHT around the same 3000 speed on a mature buck at around 90yds, of course, when I set up for a shot at 3X that distance.
He was quartering away hard, it entered behind the last rib and he made it about 60yds before piling up. I dont know how far it penetrated or what the damage looked like, but it smelled like you would expect. I happily let our man onsite do the skinning and cooler prep.
In other experiments on doe the penetration seemed kinda suspect even on ideally broadside shots through ribs behind the shoulder. They died inside of 100yds but man the tracking over there can be tough. I'm sure at some farther distance and slower velocity the penetration vs expansion scale will start to tilt. I just haven't gotten to it yet. Exit holes with an expanding bullet are definitely a benefit.
Anyway here's the buck, killed Dec 3. My personal best.
And my very portable platform that day.

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7288.jpeg
    IMG_7288.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 58
Your whole argument is meat loss, now you're shooting them in the ***?

Not in the *** cheeks ……brown marks the spot! 😉 If that shot is taken…..it's at relatively close range, where I have a pretty high success probability! And, am reasonably certain that that will be my only opportunity! Again…..nothing is absolute! 😉 memtb

Not in the *** cheeks ……brown marks the spot! 😉 If that shot is taken…..it's at relatively close range, where I have a pretty high success probability! And, am reasonably certain that that will be my only opportunity! Again…..nothing is absolute! 😉 memtb
If you're ahooting them up the *** and hitting a quarter just shoot them in the ear hole everytime and not worry about it.

I take back everything I said. I didn't realize I was talking to Eric cortina this whole time!

22 pages, 298 posts of the most boring ego laden thought salad soup I've ever participated in…manufacturers use words like target, match, core-lok, hunting, FTX, bonded, elrx etc to sell their products….hit anything living in the lung/pump with any bullet it's dead.
So are you saying we're 2 away from 300!!!

Thank You for your photos affirming much of what I do not like which very rapidly expanding bullets! I prefer much less meat loss!

Did the bullet exit this animal? Can I assume from the photo, that the animal is less than 15" across the hip/pelvis area? memtb
Yeah was a whitetail buck and big hole in shoulder is exit. Other hole entrance. Shot distance 40~ yards.

I'm curious. Did you get an exit on this double lung cow elk? What was the approximate impact velocity? Our 225 match didn't exit at all. 2700 fps approximate impact velocity. 200 yard range out of a 300 PRC.
About the same impact as yours 2700ish,
I recovered a mushroomed bullet partially in the jacket under the skin.
This season I sent a 225 through the lungs of a big whitetail quartering away, the bullet blew a nice hole through the offside scapula at 230 yards.
20231106_165218.jpg

For the record I'm upset that this buck made it 15 feet before dying..
I'm deeply disturbed by this "bullet failure" and shall be returning to copper monos in the future that poke tiny little holes for Helen Keller capable blood trails :)
Well, if a 300PRC/225gr won't quite do the trick on deer you could always try .338/300gr