Berger target vs hunting bullets

trazman

Hey guys, I cannot get the berger hunting vld bullets that I am using for hunting, but there are the same target bullets available... Should I wait or go for the target bullets? Can I load them the same or should I start from the beginning?

Load them the same. Target bullets have thicker jackets and have been used by many for hunting without problems. Since the jackets are heavier it "may" be advisable to shoot for bone to ensure adequate expansion.

I hunt with both, but have found the difference is more pronounced in some offerings than others. Tell us what caliber and weight bullet and we may be able to give a better description of performance.

Jeff

I used Berger VLDs for hunting before there was a distinction between target and hunting bullets. I had no problems with either variety on deer and pronghorn.

It is a .300 win mag with 210gr VLD bullets...

I think you will be fine. I have shot both the 210 Target and VLD in the same rifles and they shot the same. As mentioned you may have a little less expansion with targets but in some cases and closer distances this can be good. The only place they "may" not expand as much would be at the lonest distances of the rifles hunting capabilities out past 1000 where the velocity drops below 1900 fps. For that shot I would go for the shoulder, below 800 the crease right in tight behind the shoulder.

This is my personal experiences with the 210's, hop this helps you decide for yourself.

Jeff

PS: if you ever get the chance to buy some of the 215 Hybrids in your 300 win. I think you would like them. I have switched my 300 win to them and continue to be very happy.

Broz, thanks! I knew you will suggest me the hybrids, but unfortunately my blaser has a barrel with a 1-11" twist... Next year I am planning to make a custom barrel for it that will be able to shoot 215 hybrids...

Broz, thanks! I knew you will suggest me the hybrids, but unfortunately my blaser has a barrel with a 1-11" twist... Next year I am planning to make a custom barrel for it that will be able to shoot 215 hybrids...

Yes Sir, I understand. I hunted with the 210's from many 30 cal rifles for years with zero problems. They will work just fine.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.