Historical long range shooters.

Funny how in any thread there are some that cannot acknowledge accomplishment without denigrating the achiever. Shooting, music, hunting, food etc. There must be a class taught that one cannot comment on a post without including something negative. When I met Elmer Keith he was very personable. Jack O not so much. Maybe we should remember Thumpers mothers advice in the movie Bambi "If you can't say something nice, don't say ****"

436. Yes I am very proud of my father he has some very funny stories about going into boot camp and only being able speak German. Although he never really talks about what he did in Vietnam. But one time up at his cabin when he was drinking and I asked him and that's the last time I ever asked again. Thank you for the correction all have to go back and re read some as my mind does get things mixed up more and more lately.

Wow…..and that's what I always thought of O'Conner, though "no" knockers! memtb
Yeah! O'Connor came off as a known it all as well. And he did have a vast amount of knowledge. But people loved to read his stories in the outdoor mags. He and Keith weren't the best of friends. But thousands upon thousands of .270 Winchester rifles were sold because of him.

Funny how in any thread there are some that cannot acknowledge accomplishment without denigrating the achiever. Shooting, music, hunting, food etc. There must be a class taught that one cannot comment on a post without including something negative. When I met Elmer Keith he was very personable. Jack O not so much. Maybe we should remember Thumpers mothers advice in the movie Bambi "If you can't say something nice, don't say ****"

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

While I never met either, I have met a few folks that have.

Elmer seemed to be just a good ole country boy/cowboy/shootist. Jack seemed to come off as an educated, somewhat pompous @#$……er, I mean individual! memtb

Last edited:
Sad but true. My late parents used to say the same things along the same lines. I would be honored to have met JOC and Elmer Keith.

When I had the great fortune to meet Elmer in 1978 I thought he was a really nice person. Autographed a book for me. Had a coffee break with him. Absorbed everything he told me.
Everyone has a good day occasionally!😁. He was very condescending towards myself and and a friend in Dallas at a NRA convention. Made several remarks about dumb a@s people from the South that ask stupid questions. Maybe we did, asked about him blowing up revolvers, maybe he had been asked that one time to many.

Everyone has a good day occasionally!😁. He was very condescending towards myself and and a friend in Dallas at a NRA convention. Made several remarks about dumb a@s people from the South that ask stupid questions. Maybe we did, asked about him blowing up revolvers, maybe he had been asked that one time to many.

Wow, yep maybe having a bad day!

And, while a ways from the gulf……he was born in Missouri, I think!
You'd think that he'd be a bit more tolerant of us Southerners! memtb

Wow, yep maybe having a bad day!

And, while a ways from the gulf……he was born in Missouri, I think!
You'd think that he'd be a bit more tolerant of us Southerners! memtb
I was in my late teens at the time, my friend was a couple of years older. He ask how many revolvers he'd blown up using a 44 special? Must of hit him wrong. Or the fact that we were so young, think he died within a decade of that. Remember the big hat and cigar in his mouth, if i remember correctly he was in the S&W booth. Those guys were bigger than life though, have to hand them that.

Recent Posts