TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

I wanted to try some in my 7mm mag. But i dont think the the twist is right. I am fixing to buy a 280AI. If i buy the browning xbolt 280AI. It has a 1@8. I may just try 162 gr . I live in the south. Our deer isnt the size of them in the northern states.
With a 1and 8 you can shoot over a 180 gr. Cup and core easy. A mono 180 easy. With 1 in 9.25 168 Berger Vld are my go to in 7 Rem mag. I wish I had 1 in 8. I could be wrong though. We'll find out soon... 😉

I wanted to try some in my 7mm mag. But i dont think the the twist is right. I am fixing to buy a 280AI. If i buy the browning xbolt 280AI. It has a 1@8. I may just try 162 gr . I live in the south. Our deer isnt the size of them in the northern states.
I
Depends on how far south. But if you have piggies around that's great testing material right there.

My new Remarms 700 ADL has a 1-8" twist. I'm just fire forming the brass now so I'm not pushing the velocities (2800 fps).
1710245717439.jpeg

What is the top end of the velocity range those of you using 6.5 147 ELDMs and 156 Berger EOLs like to see for effective big game use?
Well it may not be the 156 booger :) but I am working on the 153.5 booger:). I have gotten to 3135 so far with N570 and am pushing forward since zero pressure has been found. Hope to hit 3200 but will see.
I am also just starting with US869 with same bullet and know I can do even better than N570. Hope to put her through a test this fall with it.

My new Remarms 700 ADL has a 1-8" twist. I'm just fire forming the brass now so I'm not pushing the velocities (2800 fps).
View attachment 553118
That gun is grouping good. I hope i can get mine to group 180's like that. I ran across a Remington 700 bdl 280. Stock was kind beat up. I almost bought it. And had it rebarrel . Didnt know what it would cost.

I
Depends on how far south. But if you have piggies around that's great testing material right there.
I live about 20 miles from Arkansas/Missouri line. Yes there are hogs everywhere. I hunt public land squirrel hunting. And see them alot. Not a 280AI. But my 204 ruger with a 35gr berger. I have been putting the hurt on some.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731_041634_Photos~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_041634_Photos~3.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 30
Thank you Brad. That was very kind. I've had the pleasure of deer hunting in Nevada 5 times. The last time was 2016 in area 231. Awesome area near Pioche.
My factory Rem 700 300 RUM at the time loved Barnes 180 TSX and TTSX. With 99.0 grs. Retumbo , 3 shots at 100 yds. was 3/8 in.. It was my mountain rifle. I like a dummy put a 28 in. Bartlien varmint contour 5R barrel on it. I don't know why I didn't go carbon fiber. It went from a ten pound rifle with Luepold VX6 4x24x52 scope, rings and mounts to 13.5 pds. I thought about spiral fluting the barrel but I figured would only save 6 to 8 ounces. I did on an MGM 1 in. full bull 27 in. Encore barrel. It cut 6 ounces off. The 300 Rum now loves 215 Bergers but have only tested them and 180 Hammers in It. My CDS dial is set up for the Berger load. I have a Cooper mod. 52 in 6.5x284 that I rarely shoot. Last time was 2020 on a lope doe and whitetail doe. I didn't even have a load worked up for it yet. I shot the whitetail with a factory Norma 156 Oryx and the lope doe with a factory HSM 140 Berger VLD. I hit shoulder at 213 yards an it blew up. I had to toss that front leg. The Oryx performed well but was only about 100 yds.. I've used Accubonds in 300 RUM, 300 WM and 7 Rem Mag with good results. I have some 6.5 150 gr. Accubonds I want to try in 6.5 PRC, 6.5X284 and maybe 6.5 Creed . They may be the Long Range. I can't remember. I've whacked some deer and lope with 124 Hammers but my CDS dial on it is for 156 Berger load. The Hammer hits same spot at 200 yds. though. I've taken with 180 Hammer in 300 WM so far, 2 cow elk, 2 good size muley bucks, a nice whitetail buck and some does. Worked perfectly everything. None were over 250 yds. I haven't read any Nathan Foster books sorry to say. I used to use Sierras when I was young. Been a looong time. Only on deer though. Last year I had great accuracy and performance with a 257 Weatherby and 100 gr. TTSX. great groups at 3632 fps. The 101 LRX was almost as accurate. I give away at least half the meat every year.
Thank you for the kind words and I hope you are successful in your future hunts. If you ever decide to hunt Wyoming again put in for non res Region F for deer. 81, 82 or 77 lope. 56, 59, 54 or 51 elk tag.
Take care brother.
I appreciate the references you provided for hunt areas in Wyoming! Thank you!! I have an old Marine buddy who lives in Riverton and I usually stay with him, and hunt in that general area, while I'm there. I understand the game animals in the Cowboy State took a real beating this past Winter and it may be a good time to pass on hunting there for a while. I imagine tags will be reduced too, until populations recover. Lately, it's been a challenge to draw any sort of hunting tag in Nevada as well.

Maybe at some point we'll need to supplement with beef to keep our freezers full?

Thanks again, very much, for all the information you've shared!

SF -

I appreciate the references you provided for hunt areas in Wyoming! Thank you!! I have an old Marine buddy who lives in Riverton and I usually stay with him, and hunt in that general area, while I'm there. I understand the game animals in the Cowboy State took a real beating this past Winter and it may be a good time to pass on hunting there for a while. I imagine tags will be reduced too, until populations recover. Lately, it's been a challenge to draw any sort of hunting tag in Nevada as well.

Maybe at some point we'll need to supplement with beef to keep our freezers full?

Thanks again, very much, for all the information you've shared!

SF -
The Bighorn Basin here in N/W Wyoming had a normal winter with no winter kill last yewr. I had great hunts with bigger muley buck, whitetail buck an cow elk than 2022. I Know a few game wardens here and last year I told him residents from west and south west were going to come hunt here cause of winter kill in their areas. They all said I don't think so... Really ? The draw odds showed it. I didn't notice it. I saw no signs of winter kill last year at all. They reduced antelope tags but they have done it the last 3 years. Even today and last Sunday driving from Greybull river to Cody I saw a lot of antelope herds. Saw elk down into winters grounds. I'll regret posting this as non res and locals will key into it. Bill Cody settled here because he thought it was protected from the weather. I've seen it since lived here. Storms coming in from the west come through pass and go south and north. Storms coming in from north kick butt.

Is it hard to get a antelope tag for a nonresident?
I takes points but there's also a random draw for applicants with low or no points that gives you a chance. Worked twice for me. In 2012 I drew an area 125 deer tag. Minimum 6 points to draw. I drew one of the few random tags with 0 points. A good friend of mine lives in Pyatt , Arkansas.

Recent Posts