Nosler RDF Target Bullets for "Hunting"

I used to work at Nosler as an engineer and know that the bullet is not designed for hunting.

That being said... ;)

Two years ago I had the chance to shoot some feral fallow deer. I killed three of them between 530yds and 600yds with a 175gr RDF out of my 308 at 2800fps.
They do not transfer energy like a bonded bullet or other style hunting bullet. The deer did not drop in place but ran 20-50 yds before succumbing to their wounds. I shot one of them twice because I thought I missed it the first time. Upon inspection, I had hit her twice.

This past year I shot a handful of goats with my 6.5 creed out to 890yds with a 140gr RDF going 2720fps. These guys dropped in their tracks or went a few yards before dropping.

The way these bullets open and expand is different than what happens with a controlled expansion hunting bullet. My experience with the RDF in the real world is that the ogive portion of the bullet "petals" and fragments or sheds on impact. The base of the bullet stays together and is what gives you penetration. In my experience the base did not deform, which is what gives small exit holes when the bullet does exit.

People say that you shouldn't hunt with target bullets. That decision is up to you. I hope this information helps you make an informed decision. If it is an important hunt and you don't want to take any chances, use a hunting bullet. If you don't have anything else available or you didn't plan and find yourself closing in on a hunt without a suitable option, or perhaps are planning on shooting long range, these bullets will kill when you do your part.

That of depends on the caliber and the tolerance they have on the factory floor. There is a considerable gap between the top of the lead and the meplat. Unfortunately I'm not a Rolodex of numbers. You could easily cut one in half longitudinally to find out or there are certainly pictures on the internet.
How much hollow area is behind the meplat?

I am not sure if that information is protected and as such am not comfortable answering.
Just asking because the CC is also a "target" bullet, but several have cut them in half and notice they were similarly constructed to Bergers, and they also functioned very similar to Bergers on game. Sounds like the RDF is, as well.

I'm a big Berger fan, and also a big Nosler fan, but the Noslers are much cheaper than Bergers, and if I can find a way to utilize cheaper bullets in more than just target shooting, my wallet would be much happier. Reason I ask, is I have about 2,000 Nosler 123 Custom Comps for my 6.5 Grendel, and if I could also use those for deer and coyotes, that would save me from having to do multiple load workups and buying 2 different types of bullets.

The only way you'll know is to shoot them and see what happens. I have had good luck with the RDF's. I can't speak to your CC's but it wouldn't hurt to try. See what they do to yotes and then work your way up to deer if you are happy with the results.

Just asking because the CC is also a "target" bullet, but several have cut them in half and notice they were similarly constructed to Bergers, and they also functioned very similar to Bergers on game. Sounds like the RDF is, as well.

I'm a big Berger fan, and also a big Nosler fan, but the Noslers are much cheaper than Bergers, and if I can find a way to utilize cheaper bullets in more than just target shooting, my wallet would be much happier. Reason I ask, is I have about 2,000 Nosler 123 Custom Comps for my 6.5 Grendel, and if I could also use those for deer and coyotes, that would save me from having to do multiple load workups and buying 2 different types of bullets.

I just figured as a bullet engineer you should be able to disclose that information without fear of reprimandation.
I am not a bullet engineer, I am a mechanical engineer. I spent my time there working on bullet manufacturing machines.

There is not any information I can give you on bullet construction that will help you decide if it will work well on game.

Any conversation about alloys or bullet composition is proprietary and not something you will get from a bullet company.

I am not a bullet engineer, I am a mechanical engineer. I spent my time there working on bullet manufacturing machines.

There is not any information I can give you on bullet construction that will help you decide if it will work well on game.

Any conversation about alloys or bullet composition is proprietary and not something you will get from a bullet company.
I'm not asking about bullet composition. I'm asking about construction.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.