Nosler rdf BC?

So would I Rich, although with how late it expanded at 2900, I'd be curious if it will expand at all down around that range....

Yep. Broad side on a deer is often not much wider than the 7" shown in that test.

It was also mentioned that there is a difference in gel and animals. In our testing we have seen it more difficult to get the desired results on game than in test media. Not sure but think hp gets plugged with hair or dirt and can fail. Or just hitting irregular shape pinches the hp shut before it can get started opening.

Rich mentioned his doubt about the small hp and good terminal performance. I think Rich is right on here. The smaller the hp the greater the chance for failure for the reasons stated above. Pretty sure we will never try smaller than the 1.5mm that we currently use. We have tried twice now to use 1mm hp with poor on game performance even after perfect media tests at high and low vel. The quest for higher bc always gets a guy looking at the smaller meplat. In my opinion it is just not worth the little bit better bc performance to risk the failure in a hunting situation.

Steve

Could a guy just trim back the meplat a little bit? The BC loss would be negligible and the larger hp ought to mimic Berger expansion at 2/3 the price.

Could a guy just trim back the meplat a little bit? The BC loss would be negligible and the larger hp ought to mimic Berger expansion at 2/3 the price.

Try running a .040" drill bit in the tip. I do that with the Bergers
It won't change the b.c. either..........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.