Nosler RDF Target Bullets for "Hunting"

I shot this antelope today at 400 yards with 22 Nosler /70gr RDF 3200 FPS. Penciled in and through the lungs then either opened or tumbled on the exit. Took her quite a while to die. I'd like to try again on a shoulder

Attachments

• BA3723A6-FDBD-43C6-AFF3-2906684FC9A9.jpeg
    BA3723A6-FDBD-43C6-AFF3-2906684FC9A9.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 410
  • F06D223E-7F3A-4899-9F43-EB1EEBD5EA29.jpeg
    F06D223E-7F3A-4899-9F43-EB1EEBD5EA29.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 366
  • 2E00FEE4-2EFB-4943-9A24-AEBB715FDFC2.jpeg
    2E00FEE4-2EFB-4943-9A24-AEBB715FDFC2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 383
Hello, I am new here and this is my first reply. I use Nosler RDF's in my .308 and have had great success with them in terms of accuracy and killing power. A five shot group at 100 is about 1/2 MOA in my hand loads. In the past I have used 168 Sierra Matchkings (Factory ammo) to hunt with as well. In my humble opinion, shot placement and accuracy is the most important factor of killing an animal humanly. I try to practice, hunt, plink, and compete with the same ammo. I shot a spike elk at 637 yards with the factory match kings and dropped it in its tracks. I have shot a dozen other elk and deer with that particular ammo and had success. That being said, I have yet to shoot an elk with the RDF. I hand load the 175's for .308 and shot a nice 4x4 muley last year with it. The results were devastating! I jumped the buck, he was spooked but only trotted away, I touched one off and he disappeared in the brush. The shot was only 100 yards and it was slightly quartering away. I thought I missed but walked that way to check, he was ten shades of dead and had tumbled over himself. Exit wound was about 1" in diameter but the insides were a wreck. I did not take any pics of the damage because I didn't think this topic would ever arise. However, I will take pics over the next week or so of the effects on whitetail, elk, and possibly bear. Again, I do think there are "better" bullets for hunting scenarios out there, but the RDF has proven effective in my limited experience thus far. At this point, I defiantly believe the RDF is adequate for deer, I have a hunch it will perform on elk as well but will have to get back to you on that. Hope it helps and thanks!

Last edited:
IDK if anyone is still reading this thread but I have an update. My suspicions were right, RDF's work great on elk. Shot a large cow with the 175 RDF out of my .308 at 350 and dumped her. I took two shots to be safe, first was a little far back but still double lung. Second was a slight quartering shot with the entrance barley through one shoulder and missing the other. Like mentioned before, RDF's probably aren't the best but I LOVE them! Good thing about them is little wasted meat on the shot through part of the shoulder blade due to the bullet not expanding until well after. Only recovered one bullet and that is the one through the shoulder. Bullet weight retention was about 60-80%. It definitely tumbled and fragmented like crazy. No frag in the meat which is weird. All the frag I found was in the vitals and never made it to the other side. Main bullet chunk was pushed against the skin on opposite side next to a rib. I'll be shooting another elk and some whites this week and next and will get back with results. Couldn't get a pic due to my phone died. 4 miles from the nearest road so I wasn't able to get the elk out whole and get pics. Sorry but the deer will definitely be pics to follow and hopefully the next elk.

I am not sure if that information is protected and as such am not comfortable answering.
I'm pretty sure it is protected. I think the disclosure, or whatever they called it, last at least seven years. It all depends on what department you work for. I wouldn't be surprised it that pertained to how the presses were worked on also. As well as bullet construction, ammo manufacturing, or rifle development.

I wouldnt try them. Choose a better bullet, especially for elk.
I have used Hornady 208 gr eld-match bullets on deer and antelope. They perform well. Since I cannot get any more anywhere right now, I ordered some of these 210 RDF's to try. Only have a few ELD-M's left. Cannot find Berger hunting bullets in that weight anywhere either. Only target bullets which say they are not suitable for hunting.

I have used Hornady 208 gr eld-match bullets on deer and antelope. They perform well. Since I cannot get any more anywhere right now, I ordered some of these 210 RDF's to try. Only have a few ELD-M's left. Cannot find Berger hunting bullets in that weight anywhere either. Only target bullets which say they are not suitable for hunting.
They're pointed, not sure if they will expand unless they hit bone. I use match bullets to hunt, but would buy some eldx if u can't find eldm

I have shot quite a few pigs with the 130RDF from 100 to 550 and everyone that I have shot has been DRT, I have had exit wounds at 550 that are 2" in diameter on broad side shots. They are not a hunting bullet but like anything else if you put it in the right spot they work really well

I was reading this thread a week ago and just saw these videos on testing the 6.5 eld-m and rdf in ballistic gel from Barbour Creek. Thought I would share the video links to those that may be interested.

1st video: RDF at 600 yards

2nd video: eld-m and RDF at 200 & 1000 yards

Seems they saw what several people have said on the RDF, that they don't reliably open and tumble. Maybe if they were opened up it would be better, but I'll stick with the eld-m and Berger hybrids as I've had great luck with both on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.