TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

I don't need to…..you folks have provided many photos providing evidence of their "fragile" nature with their tendency to violently expand!

I will readily admit….they are accurate, offer very high BC's and are extremely deadly, provided that the hunter does not expect deep penetration on larger big game after dense, thick muscle and/or bone is encountered at close range. Or, bringing home a high % of edible game meat! JM very biased O!

I've had enough bullet failures……. a bullet that either fragmented or expanded so violently with subsequent bullet weight loss whereas I did not get "my" desired penetration, I prefer to avoid these issues!

If you are satisfied with this…..I'm happy for you!

As I've mentioned before there are great bullets that offer good terminal performance, provided that they are used within their ballistic limits! Yes, this will limit the maximum distance that they should be ethically be used ….. but impact velocity and animal anatomy should be heavily considered with the more "fragile" bullets as well! memtb
So I think I get your issue with them. We've posted so many pictures of animals that died quickly and showed the "violent" killing nature of target bullets, that you don't like them. They kill too well, often leaving too big of holes. You'd rather go back to the little holes and long blood trails (assuming the little holes leave blood trails).

This actually makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen you post on here!

Question time….

I have a 6.5x300 weatherby mag. In Pennsylvania the vast majority of my hunting is 200 yards and less. What bullet would be best for that?

How about 200 yards and farther?
Accubond or Partition or swift A frame or scirocco. You have a tremendous amount of speed there so I would want a bullet that held together fairly well

So I think I get your issue with them. We've posted so many pictures of animals that died quickly and showed the "violent" killing nature of target bullets, that you don't like them. They kill too well, often leaving too big of holes. You'd rather go back to the little holes and long blood trails (assuming the little holes leave blood trails).

This actually makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen you post on here!

I yet to track any game shot with my chosen monos…..provided I didn't miss the kill zone…… Which admittedly I have done…..once! I've yet to ascertain exactly what happened, I apparently "grazed" the lower leg of an elk. I followed little blood streaks in the 15 or so inches of snow for an hour or so. The elk showed no sign of serious injury as he left the scene running through the timber. In retrrospect, I should not have made a shot at a running elk in light timber…..and the wound did not break the leg. It didn't even leave blood droplets in the snow…..just an occasional "smear"! I can only conclude that, I shot low, grazing the lower front leg as the leg was near the elk's chest! I'm not proud of my decision to try that shot…..but, I am honest with my failures!

I could only wish to as perfect a shot as many profess to be! memtb

Last edited:
I yet to track any game shot with my chosen monos…..provided I didn't miss the kill zone…… Which admittedly I have done…..once! I've yet to ascertain exactly what happened, I apparently "grazed" the lower leg of an elk. I followed little blood streaks in the 15 or so inches of snow for an hour or so. The elk showed no sign of serious injury as he left the scene running through the timber. In retrrospect, I should not have made a shot at a running elk in light timber…..and the wound did not break the leg. It didn't even leave blood droplets in the snow…..just an occasional "smear"! I can only conclude that, I shot low, grazing the lower front leg as the leg was near the elk's chest! I'm not proud of my decision……but, I am honest with my failures!

I could only wish to as perfect a shot as many profess to be! memtb
Sounds like you made a bad distance/wind estimate. Too bad you didn't have a high BC target bullet. You might have killed him! 😜

Absolutely!

If you happenstance to be loaded with Bergers and are presented with a close shot…….you merely do a "reverse" stalk to get sufficient yardage between you and your game to prevent "bullet explosion"! 😂 memtb
so you're saying that at close range, assume sub 100 yards?, Bergers "explode" and don't work or what exactly is the point you're trying to make? I'm trying to understand your thought process with this specific example.

Attachments

• IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9132.jpeg
    IMG_9132.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 47
Absolutely!

If you happenstance to be loaded with Bergers and are presented with a close shot…….you merely do a "reverse" stalk to get sufficient yardage between you and your game to prevent "bullet explosion"! 😂 memtb
My stepdad killed a mule deer buck this year and inside of 150 yards with 156 Berger started at above 3k and it hammered the bucks vitals. Shredded lungs not much left. Heart was severely damaged. This was a December buck. So thick hide and all the fun stuff. But the 156 is a hunting bullet not a target bullet so we are detailing this thread. Hopefully in two weeks I'll have some pictures of a whitetail doe killed with a 120 eldm

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 30
so you're saying that at close range, assume sub 100 yards?, Bergers "explode" and don't work or what exactly is the point you're trying to make? I'm trying to understand your thought process with this specific example.

Thank You for your photos affirming much of what I do not like which very rapidly expanding bullets! I prefer much less meat loss!

Did the bullet exit this animal? Can I assume from the photo, that the animal is less than 15" across the hip/pelvis area? memtb

What does the hip/pelvis area width have to do with it?

Sorry, I didn't study all of the photos….. glancing at photo #2, thought I was seeing a ham! I thought that sierracharlie was trying to provide evidence of it's awesome penetrating capabilities! 😂

The tissue destruction and blood shot meat……further affirms my distaste for that type of bullet! However, I certain that the animal died quickly……even if a lot was left in the field! memtb

Last edited: