Talk to me about Wildcats

All of the short magnums could cause pressure issues with nickel cases. Too slippery resulting in too much bolt face thrust.

Mud is that you?, I guess you finally sold that truck so you could buy some stuff, I can't tell you how proud we all are
Nor Mud but I think I would love to know him. Sounds like my kind of guy.

I have sold a ton of toys to buy other toys. All about priorities.

Centerfeed detachable mags are commonplace these days on hunting rifles. So it's a common and useful addition that fixes many issues.

A single shot would be fine for benchrest or target shooting. But is a real handicap for a hunting rifle.
Not really. My first serious hunting rifle was a Ruger No 1. Rapid reloading is a good way to not feel like the first shot needs to count.
I eventually went back to bolt or lever guns because I often hunt in very cold weather.

Not really. My first serious hunting rifle was a Ruger No 1. Rapid reloading is a good way to not feel like the first shot needs to count.
I eventually went back to bolt or lever guns because I often hunt in very cold weather.
You can rationalize it anyway you want. Most serious hunters will agree that a repeating rifle is more functional firearm. The military learned the samething.

I'm looking to start working on my first wildcat. I've been reloading for about 10 years now so I have quite a bit of experience there. I've just never done a wildcat. Any advice on what I should look out for and potential dangers that differ from loading a standard SAAMI spec case? My game plan is to make a 25 wssm ackley with 40* shoulders shooting the 133 Berger's. I've heard the Winchester brass is pretty thick, I know I'll have to turn the necks. I've gotten pretty good at reading pressure signs so I'm not to worried about working up a load when my brass is fully preped. I've also never had to fireform anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Any status update?

You can rationalize it anyway you want. Most serious hunters will agree that a repeating rifle is more functional firearm. The military learned the samething.
The best snipers would be perfectly happy with a single shot. Deliberate well aimed fire combined with wind judging ability or better yet, ability to judge conditions.

Sounds like Long Range riflery to me, and also short range benchrest.

The best snipers would be perfectly happy with a single shot. Deliberate well aimed fire combined with wind judging ability or better yet, ability to judge conditions.

Sounds like Long Range riflery to me, and also short range benchrest.
Take a look at your Canadian snipers and tell me how many use single shot rifles. Having a bolt, or even semi auto rifle doesn't preclude you from taking an accurate first shot. As to date I have never shot more than one round on any big game hunt.

Recent Posts